• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah Sean ... BUT .... you had better put on that sign that the weapon is a 6.8SPCII. Iffen people feel that it could be a 300BLK they will probably just walk right by it. --- SAWMAN

I don't know Bill, maybe the 300BLK is a better round for steak salesmen buck hunting. I'm afraid the 6.8 will tear em up too bad.

Just got home from work. Will consume mass quantities of steamed shrimp and Corona, then I shall opine and pontificate r.e. the door to door salesmen problems.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I usually tell them not interested but had one get me a couple of years ago. Had somewhere I really needed to be and my battery was dead. The truck hood was up and this guy pulls into the driveway and offers to give me a jump. I felt obligated to buy something from him at that point and they were terrible! Half of them ended up with freezer burn and were thrown out. One and only time I bought them.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    This is the porterhouse I had last night. I am NOT buying frozen steak off a truck. Lol.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438990062.925711.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438990062.925711.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438990062.925711.jpg
      60.7 KB · Views: 249

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dan.
    I wouldn't call someone unwilling to buy steak off the cooler in the bed of a 17 year old ford ranger with a magnet on the side that says"ebt accepted" racist.
    If call them smart. Or at least not a fool.

I've heard enough horror stories about repackaged and dated near at the major chain stores. I don't need to play health roulette from a. Door to door salesmen.

Neat factoid, one of escambia's k9 officers(and a investigator agreed) that most guys are more afraid of the dog than a officer with a gun. Visit the local shelter, they always have shepards/Doberman mix/etc. I'm. It personally a fan of American bull terriers(or whatever you have to call them in from of a landlord), but a 50+ lbs dog gets people's attention.
    Or a dachsund. Anyone foolish enough to tangle with one of them deserves what they get.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I'm not a Pitt fan. English Mastiffs do just fine.
    The dog is really just there for alarm and deterrence, it's the owner with his hand on a 45 and a carbine nearby that they should be concerned about. And why can't they at least try to look professional? If I didn't recognize the cooler on the truck, I wouldn't have know what business they had there at all. It just seems like a terribly convenient way to see if anyone is home. Like I said, lots of break ins around here lately. Comes with the turf, I guess.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438992144.523850.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438992144.523850.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438992144.523850.jpg
      55.9 KB · Views: 311

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Plus one on the looking profesional. I wouldn't expect them to be in a tie, but a clean pair of shorts and tuck in your ****ing shirt. I understand that this isn't a career move, florida is hot, but if your selling food for gods sakes.
    Actually, that's my pet peeve right there. I know it's the "indoctrination" talking, but if your gonna be out in public then dress like a human being. I don't care if you have a pink mullet, three nose rings and a starfish tattooed on your neck. Dress like a person, there's a socially acceptable amount if the human body that can remain uncovered. This does not include your back/stomach/ass/etc. and underwear isn't clothes. I met a guy living out of his car until he could find an apartment, was concerned that the pants he bought at a yard sale had to be hemmed with scissors. Older gentleman, Korean vet.... felt like he looked like a slob. Meanwhile a guy walks In Wearing a wife beater and shorts off of his ass, turns out he was opening a buissness account.

Back in topic, my dachsund is probably the best gaurd dog I could ask for. Loud, fearless, and misses nothing. I've watched him get between my son and a dog 4 times his size. The shepherd mix isn't as loud but she's just as attentive, and looks serious. The most I've heard her say is two woofs and a low, short growl. Dogs are awesome.

daveb6332

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Last steak salesman to come by my house had boxes he was showing me that had 65lbs marked on the outside. I'm thinking that doesn't look or feel like 65lbs when I picked up. I dragged out my 0-50lb scale and low and behold it was only 32lbs including the cardboard boxes. He had the nerve to insist it really was 65lb because it said so on the box. Geeez

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not a dog man a the moment. Grew up in a period with dad serving in WWII. We had pet dogs and hunting dogs. If anyone tried to pet the hunting dogs, dad would borrow a 22 to shoot the dog because a 12 gauge shell cost too much. God help a pointer that could not hold his tail straight. The good old days. Guess that's why I shoot cardboard.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I just tell them I am a vegetarian and if they keep insisting on me buying something, I just go all psycho on them calling them murderer, bambi-killers yelling at them saying some crap like I know Sara Mclachlan....usually they have no idea WTF...and just leave...it's pretty fun to do, I suggest that you try one time....

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had them be pushy and even cuss at me while they are walking away. I always ask them to turn around and say it back to my face while I call my little dog called Pearl out to greet them. They usually get a little getty up in their step out of there.

Pearl watches over my kids like a hawk! She will probably let some scumbag chew on me. But when it comes to those kiddos, she means business.

Attachments

• 598690_836221952842_1340648805_n.jpg
      598690_836221952842_1340648805_n.jpg
      127 KB · Views: 214

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is the Omaha steak company one of those door to door companies? Last Christmas we got a big ass cooler delivered to our house with like 20 steaks and hotdogs and some other stuff. The meat was pretty good but the hotdogs were awesome. I wanted to order some more of those for sure.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I think what took me back is how they were driving down the street and stopped right at MY house. And I did NOT like the look of them. Pants falling off, comb sticking out of his head. I couldn't help it, but my heart picked up the pace a bit. I need some signs.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let me start by saying I have no problem with someone working to make a living. I was in sales for well over 20 years, loved it and I know what it's like on both sides of the sales pitch.

However, door to door sales are a thing of the past. Too many opportunists that use the sales front for nefarious purposes, i.e. scoping out your layout for a return visit.

My wife was the landlord for Kirby vacuum sales here in town. I saw those kids come through training. I'll give most the benefit of the doubt, too naive to understand they won't make any money or too thug to not see the possibilities for, lets say, alternate incomes. I have stories from there too.

But we are discussing steak salesmen.

First incident. I'm home alone, upstairs and someone comes up my driveway. I answer the front door as my dog checks the one in the sunroom. What? I go to the door, open it and the guy is standing there with the freezer bedecked truck behind him. As he begins his sales pitch his partner comes walking up from around the back of my house (pre fence). I turn to the left to ask back yard guy what he's doing as the front door guy moves in a little closer to me. I was totally uneducated on criminal operating procedures at the time. Back yard guy says he was just checking to see if I would answer that door. Before I could puzzle that out my next door neighbor shows up and asks what's going on. That makes the two sales guys get all "Thank you for your time", get in the truck and leave. I walk over to the fence and neighbor says he watched backyard guy walk back and try the knob to see if it was locked, he did NOT knock.

That was the day I went from "firearms are just for fun shooting" to "concealed carrier full time". Especially when my new at the time neighbor looked at me like I had a third eye when I confessed that I answered my front door blindly and unarmed.

I'm the neighborhood watch president. Every meeting I hear complaints about pushy obnoxious steak guys. Some of the women have told the same story. These guys pull into the driveway and honk first. Then go to the door, ring, then knock, then beat on the door until someone answers. I've been told that in a few instances, the banging on the door was hard enough that it sounded like the door frame cracked.

Take a minute to think about that last sentence.

Next incident: My neighbor and his brother and I dropped a large Oak tree in my front yard. We are in the process of chopping the trunk into manageable lengths when the steak truck pulls in my driveway, cuts across my lawn and pulls up within 8' of neighbor running a chainsaw. And honks. I'm sitting in the Cat 287 with my favorite root/grapple bucket with half inch thick steel teeth and hydraulics that will allow it to not only penetrate standard auto sheet metal but can actually completely crush a truck cab. I know, I've done it to a junk Chevy S10 and that baby didn't even groan. I showed amazing restraint. I got out, told the mf to get off my property, out of the neighborhood and never come back. Both my neighbor and his brother were open carrying too.

Next incident: I have amazing neighbor's on both sides. One is a couple in their very early 40s with, at the time, 12 and 15 year old daughters. They work long hours and when the girls come home from school they are under orders to get off the bus, go inside, lock the doors and NOT answer the door for anyone. Period. Until mom or dad get home. I am an emergency contact for the girls since I am almost always at work only 1 mile away and can be back at the house in 5 minutes or less.

One afternoon I get a call from the mom, someone is beating on the door really hard. I hit 75 in the short sprint down 9 Mile Rd. and 90 on Beulah Rd. getting there. I probably made it in less than 2.5 minutes tops. As I was turning onto my road the steak truck was turning out and heading the other direction. At that instance I didn't relate the steak assholes wit the neighbor situation. I flew into my neighbor's driveway, checked on the girls who were basket cases and find out it was the steak douchebags. The dad rolled in 15 minutes later and yep! The door frame was cracked and there was play in the door, even with the deadbolt locked.

So, I called every steak sales place I could find that works locally and had a conversation.

I also had the same conversation with two steak fuck heads I ran into at the Tom Thumb on Beulah and 9 Mile.

The gist:

No one wants your shitty steaks

Wrong neighborhood to solicite

Your "permit" doesn't allow you to disturb the peace, honk in someone's driveway, interrupt people's lives, nor ring and bang on a fucking door till someone answers to hear your bullshit.

I'm president of the neighborhood watch. The point being I'm in constant communication with many residents. We also have a closed Beulah Facebook page so we are building a history of this craziness. Anyone not in the NW or on the Facebook page is in communication with someone who is. This is Beulah, everyone is armed to the teeth. Now that we are all interconnected here is the consensus. If you do slip through the cracks and pull into someone's driveway. Ring once, knock once. Lightly. If any of you ignorant fuck heads hit that door hard enough to even give the appearance that door jamb damage is poasible, or even worse, one of us hears that telltale crack of stressed door frames.......YOU WILL FUCKING DIE ON THE FRONT PORCH. You will be shot through the door. It will be considered breaking and entering. And no one Iknow uses .22lr. We believe in penetration, even through steel entry doors. Have a nice day motherfuckers.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think what took me back is how they were driving down the street and stopped right at MY house. And I did NOT like the look of them. Pants falling off, comb sticking out of his head. I couldn't help it, but my heart picked up the pace a bit. I need some signs.
    Haha that's how I feel when the Mormons come to my house, I can deal with the salesman but the religious stuff I can do without.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Damn Sean, tell us how you really feel! Lol.
    No, really, I don't answer the door without protection, but this was the first time I had an awful feeling in my gut.
    As far as the religious, i don't agree with it, but I get it, though oddly enough I don't feel threatened by them, regardless of color. At least they're better dressed. I just need some nice bold signs, for everyone's protection.

DGladden

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I was approached by a couple guys in a Tom Thumb parking lot at 2 am a few years ago. They said they were from Louisiana and trying to sell enough steaks to get gas money to make it home. I told them I wasn't interested and didn't have any cash anyway.

About that time the driver starts to approach the back of my truck while the passenger tells me they'll give me a good deal on some steak if I'll fill up their truck with my credit card. At that point I turned toward dumbass #2 (driver), slid my hand under my shirt gripping my pistol. I loudly told him his next step will be his last! They both froze. I told them again I wasn't interested and it was time for them to leave. They jumped into their truck and hauled ass.
    When I went in to pay for my gas the clerk told me I should probably hang around because he had already called the cops about the guys possibly trying to rob me. When the cop got there I told him what happened. He laughed and told the clerk if they come back to call him.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom