• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This thread has brought back some fond memories, thanks for starting it, Daezee.

My squirel arsenal , top to bottom , full choke 20 gauge under 22 magnum , 410 full choke under 22 LR , 410 under 410 both barrels are full choke, 20gauge with screw in chokes under 22 magnum and a 2o gauge under a 22 long rifle with cyl bore . The bottom two are both camper specials with 20 inch barrels I installed the tru choke system in one the other is stock. The 410 over 410 is the only one I've ever seen , all are Stevens / Savage model 24's .

image.jpeg

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With the 22 magnum over 20 gauge and the correct ammo for the job , you can hunt any game animal you might encounter in this area . When Winchester came out with the sub sonic 45 grain bullet for the 22 magnum it truly became an all round winner in my eyes . But I've used them strictly for squirel hunting with an occasionally hog that show up while hunting squirrels . A 20 gauge slug or #3 buck shot will put a hog on the ground with ease .

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I haven't hunted squirrels (or anything else) since I was a kid in Michigan. Older brother and I both had .22s and that's all we used.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    DANG with all the SNIPERS on this board I am suprised no ,22lr,17 hmr, 17hm2 shooters out there.

Where is OneShot ???

JJ..........? what are you sniping squirrels with? dble barrel 12 ga>?

For the past couple of years, my average with my scoped .22 has went down to about 33% of shots fired vs squirrels taken. This year I'm using a shotgun, and so far, with 12 shots fired, I've taken 10 squirrels. 1 dropped a few feet at the shot, never hit the ground and disappeared in the tree. 1 was on the ground running at a 90 degree angle across a narrow path, and I apparently fired behind it. Bonus: Reliving my childhood when my first shotgun was a 20ga double bbl.

OldMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    For the past couple of years, my average with my scoped .22 has went down to about 33% of shots fired vs squirrels taken. This year I'm using a shotgun, and so far, with 12 shots fired, I've taken 10 squirrels. 1 dropped a few feet at the shot, never hit the ground and disappeared in the tree. 1 was on the ground running at a 90 degree angle across a narrow path, and I apparently fired behind it. Bonus: Reliving my childhood when my first shotgun was a 20ga double bbl.
    My first gun was given by my grandad rip at 12 in okla. A 20 ga. Sears pump.took 5 soda bottles to buy one shell. Shit,, first rabbit I shot was sitting and I snuck up on it. Did I kick it up to shoot on the run..OHHECKNO. Aimed at its ears to Not destroy meat. My Grandad Never let me live that down... 8 years ago gave to his son.my uncle for a Bday gift. It was his b4 me. He was so happy he cried. It had been his first.

Last edited:
    Reactions: FLT

OldMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Never cared much for squirrel or doves.. Quail and rabbit were big game for me when younger. Maybe just never prepared right. I have fed lots of squirrels to my dogs...the love

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    This thread has brought back some fond memories, thanks for starting it, Daezee.

My squirel arsenal , top to bottom , full choke 20 gauge under 22 magnum , 410 full choke under 22 LR , 410 under 410 both barrels are full choke, 20gauge with screw in chokes under 22 magnum and a 2o gauge under a 22 long rifle with cyl bore . The bottom two are both camper specials with 20 inch barrels I installed the tru choke system in one the other is stock. The 410 over 410 is the only one I've ever seen , all are Stevens / Savage model 24's .

View attachment 95277
    Love those 24's just can't ever seem to find one thats not covid,election panic priced. They still make em, poly, bleh.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Never cared much for squirrel or doves.. Quail and rabbit were big game for me when younger. Maybe just never prepared right. I have fed lots of squirrels to my dogs...the love

DOVE! How can you not like Dove? Have you shot them and/or eaten them? Both are amazing!

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Love those 24's just can't ever seem to find one thats not covid,election panic priced. They still make em, poly, bleh.

They don’t make the 24 anymore. They make a model 42 that’s a cheap imitation.
    I love the old 24s. Dad gave me one for Christmas in 1969. Bought it brand new for $39.99.
    I bought another a couple of weeks ago but it wasn’t $39.99.
    They are getting harder and harder to find and prices just keep going up.

OldMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    DOVE! How can you not like Dove? Have you shot them and/or eaten them? Both are amazing!
    Yes n yes
    .....being the cheaply I am.. I quickly ditched the shotgun for a high powered scoped air rifle and camo

.. Maybe I didn't cook right?

Last edited:

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love the old 24s. Dad gave me one for Christmas in 1969. Bought it brand new for $39.99.

They are getting pricey, 15 / 20 years ago you could still find one every once in a while for under $ 300 but I haven't seen one that cheap in the last 10 years. If I find one in that price range I'd likely buy it. Have you by chance ever run across one of the 410 over 410 ones , they have two hammers and two triggers but are in the same size frame as the others, I'll bet finding that trigger and hammer runs into the highly unlikely category .

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    They are getting pricey, 15 / 20 years ago you could still find one every once in a while for under $ 300 but I haven't seen one that cheap in the last 10 years. If I find one in that price range I'd likely buy it. Have you by chance ever run across one of the 410 over 410 ones , they have two hammers and two triggers but are in the same size frame as the others, I'll bet finding that trigger and hammer runs into the highly unlikely category .

I’ve seen a lot of odd combinations but it’s always a rifle barrel on top of a shotgun barrel.
    Your gun is stamped Savage 24?

Reactions: FLT

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

Those damm gougers!!! :)

Top Bottom