• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Finally got to go out in the morning (no wind). Walking to the neighbor's woods at 07:15, I should've been out by 07:00 as squirrels were already out. Walking down my driveway I saw one crossing over my driveway up in the trees. IC bbl, and it's down. Got across the road. Saw a total of 7 there. 3 outside the area I'm allowed to hunt, so I just watched them a little bit...they did not come closer. 4 in the area I can shoot...1 in range, but at the limit, and I got him with full choke bbl. I like having instant choice of chokes and range of shotgun. Tried to get closer to ones out of range, but they'd disappear. Sat waiting, but they kept hidden.

Decided to do a quick look at the goat pasture. Spotted one at the base of the oak tree out in the middle with no trees nearby. Figured it'd go up the oak tree...mistake on its part, it ran towards the surrounding woods with the goats between it and me. Goats now clear, and got him just before it made the woods. Goats are not thrilled with gunfire, but they're used to it, having heard it all their lives at my place. What bothers them more is when I have my camo face mask on for hunting...they can't recognize me, so are concerned about the stranger. Heck, coming back into the yard, my lab-mix farm dog growled at me until I called his name.

1 Saturday evening, 1 Sunday evening, + 3 this morning. It's nice to be out in the woods. Bottom one still has the acorn in its mouth.

30FD795B-D802-47CE-B600-37A2AE014038.jpeg

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    A friend gave me permission to squirrel hunt on his 20 acres. He doesn't hunt squirrels, and I doubt squirrels have been hunted there in years. Lots of oaks, but some areas are pretty dense/jungle like to try and hunt. Wind was calm, so I went out for an hour before sunset. It was a good sign when I saw a squirrel cross his road just after I turned into the property.

Heard 2 barking at me, but couldn't spot them (if in the morning with more time, I'd just sat in the vicinity and wait for them to move and be spotted or take more time to spot them). Saw 2 others and got them. Now it's been my experience that I see more squirrels in the morning, so I can't wait for an early morning hunt. For that, I'm gonna take a folding stool and sit at various spots and watch for movement in the still of the morning.

Both of these were tougher to skin than the ones around my home. The one on the left was nice size for a gray. I'd gotten some 20ga 3/4 oz #6 steel loads from Sawman. I put that load in my right IC bbl (manual said steel in IC bbl will give a modified pattern). I keep a 3" 1 1/4 oz lead shot load in the left full choke bbl in case I see one further away. The steel shot killed them just as dead as lead, but didn't seem to penetrate as well as lead (found more steel shot in/on the off side than what I'd been seeing with lead #6 shot). Tried carrying them with some hay bail twine, as it felt too hot to wear my game vest...ended up simply carrying them by the feet.

CF5E9EED-724C-447A-AFEB-1679D21F2B6D.jpeg

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They are pests and are treated as such. Over the fence with before the dogs start fighting over the carcasses.
    About the same noise level as a pellet gun and much better and are more accurate. Downside is you need a good backstop since these can travel a distance.
    1603238325782.png

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Ended up with 3. Im going to brine them overnight. Never tried it. Does anyone else brine?

Yes, I put the cleaned meat in a bowl with water and salt and stick it in the fridge for a day or so until I either cook or get more squirrels to have enough to freeze.

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yep, a model 151 ss kresge. Ive been having to take long shots with a 20 ga and was missing. The 12 is doing the trick

OldMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    DANG with all the SNIPERS on this board I am suprised no ,22lr,17 hmr, 17hm2 shooters out there.

Where is OneShot ???

JJ..........? what are you sniping squirrels with? dble barrel 12 ga>?

Top Bottom