• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Didn't do much squirrel hunting last year or year before, but this year I intend to be out more. Grandkids and I love squirrel. Gonna try crockpot squirrel this time to make it more tender. Not a lot of property to hunt on, and it's not like there are a ton of squirrels, but I now have permission on a property across the road from me in which I've repeatedly seen and heard squirrels from my property the 12 years I've lived here. No permission last year, but permission this year.

To not disturb his deer further back in the property, I can go in about 25yd from the road and the length of my property, and only hunt through Oct 31st. That smallish area has lots of oak trees. Also was given permission from a new owner to hunt squirrels in his 9 or so acres just to the east of my pasture as his house will not be built/started at this time and they live out of state. I'm watching over his trailer and equipment parked next to my fence and hidden from the road. Not a lot of squirrels there, but they are seen now and then at longer ranges (thus one barrel on my double barrel 20 will have a full choke tube in it). IC in the other barrel for closer distance shooting.

Used to do squirrel hunting at Draggin' Acres, a goat farm in Holt, but the lady owner that only trusted me to hunt around her goats died. Lots of squirrels there. As a promise to her just before she went into hospice, I did take 2 goats with broken horns as a forever home since she felt no one would want them and they'd be slaughtered. Friendly goats, and they were easily trained to do what I needed them to do, but never really became part of my herd, so they keep off to the side of the other goats.

mac the knife

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Bin Open season all year round in my back yard ! Them tree climbing rats will chew on anything, Chewed the aluminum caps on my fince posts , Lead vent caps on my roof, Wheelbarrow handles, fence slats .But their Death warrent was when they dug up my wifes flower pots..Kill em all she said...

Molon Labe

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bin Open season all year round in my back yard ! Them tree climbing rats will chew on anything, Chewed the aluminum caps on my fince posts , Lead vent caps on my roof, Wheelbarrow handles, fence slats .But their Death warrent was when they dug up my wifes flower pots..Kill em all she said...
    Long ago my dad and I shot lots of squirrels around Econfina Creek and the Dead Lakes. My mom knew how to prepare them.... good eating. These were deep woods animals foraging on acorns, etc. When they start chewing on plastics and metals, especially lead, it's time to use them as targets.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    In Indiana we had fox squirrels; bigger than grays and slower moving. Actually there are fox squirrels on my same road here, but illegal to kill in Florida. For me, squirrel hunting was the first game season of fall weather.

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have been squirrel hunting since I was a very young little guy with my dad. It was always great to get out in the woods with him. He always taught me to eat what I killed and over the years have acquired a pretty good taste for squirrels. One of my favorites of all time is the old standby squirrel and dumplings. Quarter up your squirrels Bruce, and put them in a crockpot with just enough chicken broth to cover them. Cook them on high until the meat is nearly falling off the bone. For me and the wife for a meaty batch, I usually have about 6 squirrels in the pot. Drain and cool them and then start picking the meat off the bone. You can use the broth for your dumplings later. If you don’t like to make dumpling from scratch, get you some Mary B’s dumplings in the freezer isle of the grocery store. They are amazing and super easy. When the dumplings are nearly done, add back the squirrel meat and enjoy. I have added onions, green beans, carrots and a multitude of other vegetables to it as well. One of my favorite old time comfort foods.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Thank you for the recipe! Sounds easy enough for a non cooker like me.

Ps. You’re right. It’s not just the meal, it’s the being out in the woods.

Molon Labe

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    During the depression, mulligan stew was a staple. Any type of meat was permissible, raccoon, possum, chicken, gopher tortoise, etc. But squirrel was the most plentiful, easily obtained.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My brother and me and 2 other boys we grew up with each killed 300-400 each season. We hunted oak hammocks and creek bottoms around the edge of Yellow River swamp
    A lot mornings my Granny cooked some for breakfast once we cleaned them the rest of them were our supper. Great memories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Well, obviously this morning was a wash for squirrel hunting. Wanted to get out and enjoy the nicer weather after the storm, but the wind was rather breezy, so spotting squirrel movement would be luck. Saw one about a foot off the ground on a tree truck about 6' into the neighbor's property. Since I have hunting permission.... My first kill with my new CZ 20ga double. Full choke tube in left bbl and IC choke tube in right bbl, so near or far I'm set. 1 oz 6's in right bbl and 1 1/4 oz 6's in left bbl.

2C1ED847-E641-4A46-B762-1B142A45CBA3_4_5005_c.jpeg

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The squirrels at the river house will stand up and bark at you but the ones on the farm will disappear the second they see or hear you . There,s a big difference in the way city and county squirrels react when they see or hear people. I’ve hunted them since I was around 5 or 6 years old. When I went to grandfathers he’d give me a Winchester 67 boys rifle and a box of short hollow points , the instructions were pretty simple, go kill us a mess of squirrels , don’t shoot those big old tough ones . Just 5 or 6 of the tender young ones. He and I would clean them and grandma would fry them like chicken and make brown gravy , mashed potatoes and buttermilk biscuits to go with them. Those visits are some of my fondest memories of my grand parents.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    When I was a young kid I hunted squirrels in the tall pecan groves where car city is now. I lived off of Hancock Lane,east of "Old Palafox".
    Back in those days Hwy 29 was not there,neither was W Street.
    Used a single shot .410 to slay them by the hundreds. We traded them to the black people that lived on the eastern part of Handcock Lane for pecan pies and sweet potatoes. --- SAWMAN

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I saw a few today but with the heat and the skeeters my heart wasnt in it. I like it better when im not dripping sweat all over my gun! Maybe tomorrow, but im gonna miss the morning hunt. Have to assist a cutter at the base.

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Uncles/Father in Law/Brother in Laws use to meet up at Weewaahitchka for camping and squirrel hunting back in the 70’s 89’s and 90’s.
    Lotsa squirrels there.

We’d have a contest with everybody throwing in $5 in the pot.
    1/2 went to fella that brought back the most squirrels.
    The other 1/2 went to the hunter that brought back the squirrel with the biggest balls.

Fun times!

Top Bottom