• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Shooting rifle calibers suppressed. If your just going to "dumb-down" the load why not just use a caliber that's already factory subsonic?? Like .45 colt or ACP or heavy 9mm or something else.
    It seems to my noob brain that most of the shooting done is short range. I would think you'd get more power, range. Those sub heavy rifle bullets must drop like stones. Also seems like slow speeds don't expand the rifle bullets because they weren't designed for it.
    I'm sure there's a reason, I just don't know it. Ymmv.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Blasphemy!
    But yeah it's like a sliding scale is how I see it. You can do damage either with big and slow boolits, or fast and light.
    So it depends on the job. Big slow boolits push veg out of the way, and hit hard with thier mass alone. They're preferred for CQB as they do less over penetration, typically can be far shorter and easier to wield indoors overall, etc.
    While yes 45 can do this well, it's whole loaded casing weight ratio is likely about the same as a 300 blackout sub. In fact maybe even lighter, I'd have to check. But, the 300 can be stepped up drastically by switching to a super. 45 can't exactly do that and maintain on the same level. Plus a 300 setup plays well with 556 as far as swapping parts around. Plus it uses a 30 cal can which is smaller than a 45 can.
    9mm comes close to this and has that advantage over 45 in how broad of a range of super and subs are available. It does well in CQB also. It can also be fed faster lighter ammo and still be used with a can even tho its supers and it won't be as deafening at least.
    But, when compared to centerfire rifle ammo both the 9mm and 45 are heavy vs the power tradeoff. I recently got back into 45 and already remember why I ditched it lol. Just a 100 round box is stupid heavy vs rifle ammo, that does more tricks and reaches farther with more damage.
    But yeah when I got my first can, the blinders came off and I was like omg ill never go back lol. It's just that good. I'm sure I missed a bunch of facts but that's kinda the complicated jist of it

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    RR, you need to look at Hornady sub X bullets . They are available to the reloader now . I use the 190 grain 30 caliber Bullets in my 300blk and 308 Winchester, and the 250 grain 357 bullets in the 350 legend. They expand all the way down to 900 fps. I’ve taken several pigs with them and every bullet has expanded .

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shooting rifle calibers suppressed. If your just going to "dumb-down" the load why not just use a caliber that's already factory subsonic?? Like .45 colt or ACP or heavy 9mm or something else.
    It seems to my noob brain that most of the shooting done is short range. I would think you'd get more power, range. Those sub heavy rifle bullets must drop like stones. Also seems like slow speeds don't expand the rifle bullets because they weren't designed for it.
    I'm sure there's a reason, I just don't know it. Ymmv.
    The bullets are designed to do what they do at those low speeds, I've shot many of them into targets effectively. We will leave it at that.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    RR, you need to look at Hornady sub X bullets . They are available to the reloader now . I use the 190 grain 30 caliber Bullets in my 300blk and 308 Winchester, and the 250 grain 357 bullets in the 350 legend. They expand all the way down to 900 fps. I’ve taken several pigs with then and every bullet has expanded .

Sub-X in .300 BO is death on contact, I've posted plenty of dead pork pics to illustrate that.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Simple answer IMO is versatility in just one platform. Bullet technology has solved the expansion issue.
    Agree, ability to go supersonic, have dope for it, make necessary scope adjustments then reach out and touch things at those farther distances or quiet as possible option.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    RR, you need to look at Hornady sub X bullets . They are available to the reloader now . I use the 190 grain 30 caliber Bullets in my 300blk and 308 Winchester, and the 250 grain 357 bullets in the 350 legend. They expand all the way down to 900 fps. I’ve taken several pigs with then and every bullet has expanded .
    I have a crate full of 350 Legend, supers and subs, an upper for it... but no 9mm capable can yet sadly lol.
    But yeah from what I've seen it picks up on where the 300 lacks. It can be really quiet, then taken out to do some proper longer range shooting effectively. (However I mainly bought it and the time as it's the ammo ammo to be found during the pandemic lol.) So now that I'm into cans I plan yeah to get my next one in a size that will handle most all my other calibers

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Agree, ability to go supersonic, have dope for it, make necessary scope adjustments then reach out and touch things at those farther distances or quiet as possible option.

Whacking multiple pork targets at CQB distances suppressed should be illegal... it's a hell of a lot of fun...

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    OK, what's the scoop on the 8.6 Blackout? Sounds like a perfect example of "Go big or go home".
    Man, it's a Cadillac by what I see. But only if you have a Cadillac budget. The ammo is crazy high.
    It has a secret super power tho. It can drop super big Africa game even with its tiny barrel. I'm not sure if all makers realize this as some have 1:9 twiats. But the Q model has a 1:3 twist rate! So it now has so dam many RPMs that if the projectile expands, it's the size of a cowboy spur. If not larger. Then it's spinning like a blender as it goes thru the organs. I saw a gel test done and the RPMs was so great than the spin created an extra hypercavitated explosive bubble for each of the blade like fingers of the projectile, not counting the huge primary hyper cavitated explosion from the initial projectile. So it makes it super deadly in that respect.
    I was thinking my Rattlers 1:5 was crazy fast lol. This is just nuts. There's video of the Q guy taking game with it. They dropped like hot rocks. It was very effective, and stupid quiet.
    Here's the video I saw that makes me want one badly. It will have to wait till I can reload tho lol

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Man, it's a Cadillac by what I see. But only if you have a Cadillac budget. The ammo is crazy high.
    It has a secret super power tho. It can drop super big Africa game even with its tiny barrel. I'm not sure if all makers realize this as some have 1:9 twiats. But the Q model has a 1:3 twist rate! So it now has so dam many RPMs that if the projectile expands, it's the size of a cowboy spur. If not larger. Then it's spinning like a blender as it goes thru the organs. I saw a gel test done and the RPMs was so great than the spin created an extra hypercavitated explosive bubble for each of the blade like fingers of the projectile, not counting the huge primary hyper cavitated explosion from the initial projectile. So it makes it super deadly in that respect.
    I was thinking my Rattlers 1:5 was crazy fast lol. This is just nuts. There's video of the Q guy taking game with it. They dropped like hot rocks. It was very effective, and stupid quiet.
    Here's the video I saw that makes me want one badly. It will have to wait till I can reload tho lol

Yep...

I don't have anything in that niche, but if I win the lottery... : )

I think it'd be thrilling just to look through a 1:3 barrel!

P.S., what about barrel life? I wouldn't expect too much, what with instantaneously spooling 300+ grains up to that rotational velocity.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yep...

P.S., what about barrel life? I wouldn't expect too much, what with instantaneously spooling 300+ grains up to that rotational velocity.
    That's a good question. I'll have to sit and dive into it more. I been trying to avoid doing that tho as it makes the little idiot in back of my brain go haywire and jump up and down till it gets one lol.
    They seem to have at least one maker that is making barrels for them relatively cheap tho which is Faxon I think. On a whim I emailed them and asked if I bought one of thier 8.6 uppers, if it would fit my SIG 716I setup I have. The agent said he thinks so. Hearing that made me say hmmm and piddle with my facial hair in a diabolical fashion lol.
    Some of thiers are 1:9 too so I dunno. Depends I guess alot on what you're feeding it as to how long the barrel lives and if it stabilizes the projectile you chose. Which I'd read into also to see what spin rate is the best middle of the road for lighter supers maybe. But, tbh if I got this and had the can etc I'd just be wanting to shoot subs as I have rifles already for supers that are cheaper to shoot. So I guess I'd get the shortest, fastest ones they have

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yep...

That's a good question. I'll have to sit and dive into it more. I been trying to avoid doing that tho as it makes the little idiot in back of my brain go haywire and jump up and down till it gets one lol.
    They seem to have at least one maker that is making barrels for them relatively cheap tho which is Faxon I think. On a whim I emailed them and asked if I bought one of thier 8.6 uppers, if it would fit my SIG 716I setup I have. The agent said he thinks so. Hearing that made me say hmmm and piddle with my facial hair in a diabolical fashion lol.
    Some of thiers are 1:9 too so I dunno. Depends I guess alot on what you're feeding it as to how long the barrel lives and if it stabilizes the projectile you chose. Which I'd read into also to see what spin rate is the best middle of the road for lighter supers maybe. But, tbh if I got this and had the can etc I'd just be wanting to shoot subs as I have rifles already for supers that are cheaper to shoot. So I guess I'd get the shortest, fastest ones they have
    Yep... probably at its best as a dedicated subsonic platform.

Top Bottom