• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This... could you get the same results with the 45?? Carbine lenght barrel. Without all the extra hoops to jump thru? Handloading, special bullets, action tuning etc..

What special hoops? These dudes were whacked with standard bullets (SMK’s) loaded at sub velocities and I have no idea what you mean when you say action tuning as the rifle functions as is from plug-and-play parts. Subs and supers are commercially available so hand loading isn’t a must have.

I can switch ammo to supers and climbed in the stand overlooking a field with shot potentials out to say 200 yards... same rifle, just different ammo.

You’re not getting the same versatility as stated above with a PCC. Your .45 PCC is limited by ammo capability whereas something like a BO isn’t.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    What special hoops? These dudes were whacked with standard bullets (SMK’s) loaded at sub velocities and I have no idea what you mean when you say action tuning as the rifle functions as is from plug-and-play parts. Subs and supers are commercially available so hand loading isn’t a must have.

I can switch ammo to supers and climbed in the stand overlooking a field with shot potentials out to say 200 yards... same rifle, just different ammo.

You’re not getting the same versatility as stated above with a PCC. Your .45 PCC is limited by ammo capability whereas something like a BO isn’t.
    Ok. I see the reasoning behind that.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ok. I see the reasoning behind that.

Sorry to sound like a butt-hole LOL but I'm up at the hunt camp replacing a toilet and sink bouncing back and forth to the computer, didn't mean to come across like I did... I read what I posted and didn't like the way it sounded lol,,, sorry.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought the the 350 legend to specifically shot 180 grain pistol bullets in at subsonic velocity. Shortly after I got it hornady released the 190 grain subX bullets for reloading the 30 caliber cartridges. And I changed my focus to the 300 BLK / 308 for the very reasons Bob posted . Then hornady released the 357 250 grain subsonic subX and it was off to the races again for the legend. I shot either caliber in bolt action rifles ,with the focus being on quiet . My hand loads are noticeably quieter than factory subsonic ammunition, the down side is that they won’t cycle a semiauto rifle. Just a heads up , if you load a .357 bullet for the legend, you will need to use Starline cases . They have thinner necks and that will allow you to use the slightly larger bullet. Winchester cases and 357 bullets likely won’t chamber in many rifles.

Last edited:

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m a huge fan of 45 acp , in a pistol but for hunting suppressed , I’d go with a 300 blk . I’m no expert by anyone’s standards . But I’ve been able to get a few hogs at a hundred or so yards with a blackout. About 50/60 yards is all I’d be comfortable trying with a 45 ACP in a suppressed rifle .

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    I’m a huge fan of 45 acp , in a pistol but for hunting suppressed , I’d go with a 300 blk . I’m no expert by anyone’s standards . But I’ve been able to get a few hogs at a hundred or so yards with a blackout. About 50/60 yards is all I’d be comfortable trying with a 45 ACP in a suppressed rifle .

Interesting Video

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Here, numbers and stuff. Don't know what the numbers on 45 is though.
    45 would get a slight boost from a 16 barrel too. 10mm gets a +200 fps boost from the 16.
    45 from a 16 may go over the subsonic limit??

Chuck9703

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    170 grn. Lead FP over 7.0 grains of unique in 30-30 with a Large Pistol Primer (yes I know this isn’t recommended but times are tough and they actually don’t show pressure signs) gets the 30-30 down into borderline subsonic territory. Plus they’re super fun to plink steel with!

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oh man. I bought some in 308 and nearly died when I saw the price. Then I had to remember it's a box of 50 lol. Haven't done the math but it likely isn't as bad as it seems at first. I hope lol
    Yep... definitely not "plinking" ammo : )

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yep... definitely not "plinking" ammo : )
    Ikr. I felt robbed. Then when I got home I compared prices. Mine was 79.99 in store before tax. Online was actually all more expensive starting at the 100$ ballpark. So mine at 1.60$ a round for a 175 grain hollow point boat tail didn't seem bad. The x50 throws ya for a loop tho for sure.
    It's quiet stuff tho. If I recall correctly my 308 bolt gun firing this stuff was more quiet than my 300 blackout bolt gun.
    But yeah let's say I didn't shoot it alot tho lol. Fired like 4 rounds and said yep! It's good! Then squirrelled it away to be used only on special occasions lol.
    At least my Academy breaks it off into me gently by selling the 300 in packs of 20. It's not as obvious then ;-)

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ikr. I felt robbed. Then when I got home I compared prices. Mine was 79.99 in store before tax. Online was actually all more expensive starting at the 100$ ballpark. So mine at 1.60$ a round for a 175 grain hollow point boat tail didn't seem bad. The x50 throws ya for a loop tho for sure.
    It's quiet stuff tho. If I recall correctly my 308 bolt gun firing this stuff was more quiet than my 300 blackout bolt gun.
    But yeah let's say I didn't shoot it alot tho lol. Fired like 4 rounds and said yep! It's good! Then squirrelled it away to be used only on special occasions lol.
    At least my Academy breaks it off into me gently by selling the 300 in packs of 20. It's not as obvious then ;-)
    I hit the lottery, I'm tryin' some! : )

Top Bottom