• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I just don’t understand the business model of some shops.
    I stopped in one the other day and prices weren’t just high, they were ridiculous.
    I don’t believe anybody is gonna pay over $1,000 for a S&W model 10 with a worn nickel finish. If anybody is considering it, I’ve got a pre-10 with a worn nickel finish that I can save you $200 on.
    I’ve seen the same guns for months.
    A pawn shop I stop in every couple of weeks has a parkerized model 10 that’s doing a bad job of covering up a lot of blemishes for $1,000.
    Crazy.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yeah, I swing through a couple from time to time - which reinforces my decision to purchase 99.9% of my stuff online and when its a firearm, transferred through a local FFL. They either never have what I want or have it at such an outrageous price it's not remotely worth it.

And the one time recently at Mikes Guns I was considering buying a firearm (Glock) for a semi-reasonable price, the 'salesman' tried to talk me into buying another firearm I didn't want, because what I wanted was 'out-dated'. "Nah dude, you want this CANNuCK or this TOURUS instead..." I humored him by looking at those guns before leaving - then ordered online from home and had what I wanted for less inside of a week, for less.

Not to mention some ignorant fudd customer spewing old conspiracy theories or re-hashing old 2A issues about 50% of the time... I rarely talk to people I like, but to entertain illogical non-sense from strangers... complete pass. At least it help me master the 'dude who doesn't respond when people talk at him' face, or at most he says "hmmmm".

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I purchase 99% of my firearms and parts & accessories online. I can relax & take my time doing research (when needed) then concentrate on finding the best deals by comparison shopping at home. To me it makes more sense than driving around, spending time and gas, looking for something that if found, will likely be overpriced. I'd like to be able to support local businesses more, but in many cases the price differences are just too much to ignore, especially when shopping the few online sites that aren't collecting sales tax (yet?).

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I was looking at a few guns in a shop the other day and was honored to be in the presence of a genuine expert…..on just about everything.
    He looked to be retired military and was a customer not an employee.
    I always just smile and nod while thinking “idiot”.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I only go in shops that usually have a large inventory of used guns. I’m interested in very few current production guns.
    The new ones I’ve bought in the past 10 years were almost always bought from Grabagun or Palmetto State but I can’t remember the last time Grabagun had a good deal.
    I actually unsubscribed from their emails a couple of days ago because I was being inundated with ads with not a decent deal among them.

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I only go in shops that usually have a large inventory of used guns. I’m interested in very few current production guns.
    The new ones I’ve bought in the past 10 years were almost always bought from Grabagun or Palmetto State but I can’t remember the last time Grabagun had a good deal.
    I actually unsubscribed from their emails a couple of days ago because I was being inundated with ads with not a decent deal among them.
    I bought from Grabagun a few months back! They actually added the tax after I ordered it! I asked them and they said no way but someone I know well told me he bought ammo and they did the same! Many places are having to add sales tax which is fine but to add it afterwards? Wow
    Before that in years past I bought from them with no issues!

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How does the local gun shop scene look these days? The last one I went into was empty, without inventory. I felt bad for them, I felt like I needed to loan them some inventory. Imagine having 10 pistols and 8 rifles on the shelf. Let’s say you marked each of those up $250 and sold all of them in a month. You would probably be better off working at your local Tom Thumb. Commercial rent ain’t cheap. I’m not sure how that business model works

Last edited:

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    What shop(s) in the local area (say, Pensacola to Ft Walton) are worth visiting for new and/or used guns?

Regarding sales tax, at least up to a few weeks ago I was able to buy firearms without paying sales tax (Locked & Loaded in January and The Modern Sportsman late last month), but the list of sites is getting shorter. I have no idea as to how they can still do it.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    How does the local gun shop seen look these days? The last one I went into was empty, without inventory. I felt bad for them, I felt like I needed to loan them some inventory. Imagine having 10 pistols and 8 rifles on the shelf. Let’s say you marked each of those up $250 and sold all of them in a month. You would probably be better off working at your local Tom Thumb. Commercial rent ain’t cheap. I’m not sure how that business model works

The particular shop I was initially talking about has about the same inventory they’ve always had. In fact, their prices are so high I think it’s the EXACT same inventory.
    I have noticed a huge lack of gun inventory in the 3 pawnshops I stop by every few weeks. Nothing but polymer.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Interesting. Follows what’s happening with art, jewelry, real estate, etc. items of true value are disappearing and replaced by similar items we are told are just as valuable when clearly not. Almost like the country was being looted or something…

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I have found it is about a 30:1 ratio for finding something in a gun or pawn shop. I travel a lot and go into a lot of pawn shops. I very rarely even stop at a gun shop unless they advertise used guns. For about every 30 shops I go into or every 30 times I go in my local ones I find something worth buying. I have plucked some real deals but you have to realize they aren't going to have something every time you go in. I used to run a gun shop. One of the reasons the posted price is high is to be able to absorb the cost of a trade in. Car dealers do the same thing. If they don't pad it for the trade in up front they can't raise the price when offered a trade. They can however lower the price for a cash deal. If you don't ask the answer is always no. You are doing yourself a disservice by just looking at the price tag and walking out. As was said, those guys have overhead and have to keep the lights on so they have to sell so much inventory to make that happen. That is a great motivator for them to deal. I specially like dealing with individual owned pawn shops instead of chains. Those guys are always ready to turn that money over.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I have found some great deals at pawnshops but almost every time I just happen to be there the morning they put it out and underpriced it because they haven’t kept up with the latest trend.
    Most won’t lower the price until it’s been sitting for a while.
    I’ve actually gotten the best deals at chain stores but it’s probably been a year since I’ve bought anything.
    I understand that you won’t know until you ask but when a shop is asking $1,000 and it’s really only worth $450 that makes it kinda hard to come to an agreement.

Spencer95

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What shop(s) in the local area (say, Pensacola to Ft Walton) are worth visiting for new and/or used guns?

Regarding sales tax, at least up to a few weeks ago I was able to buy firearms without paying sales tax (Locked & Loaded in January and The Modern Sportsman late last month), but the list of sites is getting shorter. I have no idea as to how they can still do it.
    I’ve found that Greyman Armory in Milton has the most reasonable prices I’ve ever seen for a gun shop. Their prices are more inline with online prices and sometimes beats online prices depending on transfer fee. Their high end accessories like Radian, Surefire have been actually cheaper than online in my experience.

The only site I shop at now without sales tax for Florida is FamilyFirearms.com out of Alabama. When they run their “Email for best price” deals it is very hard to beat, especially without sales tax. I just ordered a G19 gen 5 mos from there.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    let us know how you like it;

tractorboy54

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When all of the local gun shops are gone because of the lack of business, don't whine about it. There are some that I am not a fan of, some that I am indifferent about and a few that I genuinely like. Prices are fair and usually close to others when you take into account additional fees for background checks and sometimes shipping. Anything I have ever wanted that they do not have on the shelf, they have always been happy to order and almost always are under MSRP while usually knocking off another 10% for a cash discount. Now I am not saying that I do not buy online at all, but it is usually an out of production item or something that is in high demand and can not be found just anywhere. Find a shop that have people you like, build a relationship and spend a little money with the shop if you want them there long term. Personally I am willing to spend a little more to keep the money local and my favorite FFL in business. Walmart, Academy and BassPro do not count.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I’ve found that Greyman Armory in Milton has the most reasonable prices I’ve ever seen for a gun shop. Their prices are more inline with online prices and sometimes beats online prices depending on transfer fee. Their high end accessories like Radian, Surefire have been actually cheaper than online in my experience.

The only site I shop at now without sales tax for Florida is FamilyFirearms.com out of Alabama. When they run their “Email for best price” deals it is very hard to beat, especially without sales tax. I just ordered a G19 gen 5 mos from there.
    I checked them out. Some pretty good deals on revolvers and the RR .22 carbine 16 inch.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I personally have never bought a gun online, when I come across something I like I try to find it so I can see how it fits and feels. Just the other day Scotts in Jay had a Smith and Wesson revolver on their facebook, when I saw it I got a little excited. As soon as I could I went over to check it out, big disappointment the gun was just to big and bulky for what I wanted ( didn’t look like that in the picture) when I find what I want some time I buy it but if its overpriced I enjoy going on the hunt for a better price. I visit every gun store I can as often as I can just to see what I can’t live without so I kind of have an idea where to find something. I also realize some stores might be higher than others, not because of mark up but because of how they’re distributer treats them. Availability has a lot to do with price also. Remember the early days of the PMR30 ? You couldn’t find one but if you did you had to pay dearly for it.

Top Bottom