• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outside9

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How come the poor ole SKS can't get its own thread? I have put mine in a Tapco Stock with detachable magazine and it looks pretty dang good and is fun to shoot. Mine looks like this one.

Sub-Forum I guess

Attachments

• A1CS_1_20121105_85164184.jpg
      A1CS_1_20121105_85164184.jpg
      5.1 KB · Views: 353
    Last edited:

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    heres mine

This isnt just some add on BS. this rifle has had alot of work. it will shoot 2.5 inch groups at 100 yds with me behind the trigger shooting reloads. It has shot under 2inch with better shooter. Not much is chinese left in this rifle.

Attachments

• P1050045.jpg
      P1050045.jpg
      218.6 KB · Views: 312
    • P1050044.jpg
      P1050044.jpg
      207.3 KB · Views: 305

outside9

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This isnt just some add on BS. this rifle has had alot of work. it will shoot 2.5 inch groups at 100 yds with me behind the trigger shooting reloads. It has shot under 2inch with better shooter. Not much is chinese left in this rifle.

A very cool looking setup.....................

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks outside9,
    I invested 3 times what this rifle was worth just to prove a point to some.(a funny story) I had the trigger pull so light at one time, that i was getting three round bursts. I quickly fixed this, I wasnt interested in jail time.

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank,
    Like adding rails and do dads to an AR help its quality LOL!
    Ive had sks's, AR's, and AK's Id prefer the sks in battle due to it shoots anything. It never needs cleaned like the finiky AR, and has better long range accuracy than an AK.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yes and they are quality part not plastic hanging all over a metal frame...the modern AR's are easy to clean, field strip and put back together blindfolded and a more precision weapon...not a pray and spray hand to an 11yr old terrorist to shoot gun. But then if you cannot afford the weapon or ammo and don't hunt with it a BB gun is better than nothing.

outside9

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can honestly say I have never added anything to one of my guns with the intent to add value to that weapon. I add quality optics to my deer rifles, not to add value but to give me a better advantage when hunting (holding light etc.).

However, I assume adding certain items/options to an AR you guys who build for resale would be a common thing.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    No, I only add functional hunting related gear, rails allow you to take them off and on. But then I am a hunter and not a plinker. Day time my gun just has a scope and night, lights and lasers are added as needed. I am too practical and cheap to waste my $$. A 22 I can plink with cheaper than w x39 ammo, I do like the AK's and the SKS to a lesser extent, just have no need for them...I was half kidding you SKS guys...

outside9

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My brother bought my SKS years ago when he ran accross one of those deals you used to see on them from time to time. There is three of us brothers and if we see a deal we try and pick up enough for the others, I did the same thin with the Mossins.

Fishyfingers

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have owned SKSs since I turned 18 (a while back) and various AKs (only '47 clones) for about 10 years. I have used AR rifles in the past but only recently got a few for myself. My personal experience is that for anything other than hunting where I take a real rifle afield I would choose:
    An AR15 in 5.56 if I want to tactically hurt somebody at 300 yrds
    A Norinco SKS with irons if I want to kill somebody at 250yrds
    My AK47 if I want to slaughter people within 75yrds

outside9

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Without a doubt I would want my choose my AR over my SKS. I was just saying they can be fun and a lot of folks like them.

Several years back you could run accross some great buys on them.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have one, you've seen it before I'm sure.

dirty thing it was when I got it
    sks_004.jpg

refinished it and added a different gas tube cover, which subsequently caused leakages at the gas block
    sks_008.jpg

the wood has lost of "character marks" but is as smooth as a babies butt. I didnt wanna make it look new, but couldnt stand the dents, dings, and gouges.

sks_011.jpg

replaced the selector on the gas block and added an oversize valve which solved all the gas block issues. Also found a piece of wood for the tube cover and refinished it to match
    sks_016.jpg

also polished the bolt carrier
    sks_015.jpg

she's fun to shoot. Has an issue in the trigger which I've yet to figure out/fix. When you fire the trigger stays back and wont reset. Flick the trigger kinda sideways a bit and it resets just fine and fires again. Surely just a burr in the trigger assembly but I cant seem to get the trigger group apart. Gave myself a "garand thumb" when I tried and then quit, haha.

fun to shoot
    range08-15_003.jpg

with a nice bore
    sks_013.jpg

Last edited:

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can help you with that trigger. Ive torn many of those SOB's apart . I can even smooth out the trigger getting rid of that gritty feel. your trigger mechanism just might need a good cleaning.

outside9

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can help you with that trigger. Ive torn many of those SOB's apart . I can even smooth out the trigger getting rid of that gritty feel. your trigger mechanism just might need a good cleaning.

Would you be interested in giving mine the once over real good (I will pay you of course)? Like I said, it has the Tapco stock but other than shooting it I have not done anything else. I've had it for years and know very little about it other than it is fun to shoot.

Thanks

o

Top Bottom