• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dc777

Shooter
    When I started out buying silver I was paying around $40 per ounce!!! Well, I took a loss.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    I have bought from $10 to $33.

happy with every buy...although I lost it all in the tragic boating accident in 12,000 feet...in the gulf of mexico

along with all of my guns,(only 2(.22lr & old 12ga) of them) at the same time....

got a slingshot from tractor supply left...

Last edited:

budbreak96

Expert
    Anyone selling? makes me mad the price the stores pay, $2

Frank, If you were in Pensacola I could recommend a good, honest shop. It's family owned and ran. I met the guy and we started shooting the bull and I go in there quite often just to talk to him. Once you met him and get to know him he will do whatever he can to help you. He let's me borrow his $800 metal detector to go look for stuff around here. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff he has found and I have found.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    well with thousands of $$ in silver It might be worth the trip...lol Thanks but not selling and am buying when I can

shootnstarz

Master
    Just got an email that my 2016 NGC graded ASE has shipped, along with 7 others I need to fill in the rest of the missing years. All that's left is a 2011 & 2013 to have the set. Hi Yo Silver !!!

Rick

shootnstarz

Master
    Price seems to be creeping back up, in the high 14s now. Despite all the experts nobody knows where the bottom is nor when another spike is coming. The sellers have been predicting $50 an ounce silver since the last spike started to fall.

A fact that baffles the hell out of me is that all through history the silver/gold value ratio has always been 16:1, 16 ounces of silver would buy 1 ounce of gold. Now it's something close to 75:1 which tells me silver is undervalued or gold is overvalued. Sure wish I had more time to learn the precious metals markets but in the long run it's a crap shoot no matter your education level on the subject.

Then you have to factor in those people with enough influence and/or wealth to actually move the market price with something as simple as a press release.

RH

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    if the ratio ever gets close to 30 or 40 to one, trade every silver oz you can find for gold...

I missed the chance back in 2011...got to about 30-33 to one, kept holding out for less than 30, & missed it..

wildrider666

Master
    I understand gold/silver as a hedge against inflation. The problem I see is that if U.S. currency drops excessively in value then there are two directions.

a. The dollar is crap so you sit on G/S till it comes back up then trade for dollars. Trade G/S for inflated dollars so you can buy what you need as needed?
    b. The dollar totally fails, economy collapses, chaos. Most of the Worlds finances, production and distribution is tied to the dollar. With no authority to recognize its value, is it worth more then its weight in bullets? It may have value outside the U.S. but here you are. G/S will only be worth what someone is willing to give you for it. The higher your need, the less value your G/S has. Since the majority of those surviving the chaos will not have G/S, only material goods and personal skills will have actual value.

We know diamonds are a very controlled monopoly and that controlled release onto the market is the only way they maintain a artificially high value. Is this the same with gold? Gold like diamonds is found and a major find could destabilize the market/economy unless monopolize.
    Why is silver so cheap now? Does it really cost more to produce then its worth (refined ingots)? Nobody ever thought that would happen just as they think it will never happen to gold.

If the SHTF value is in the weight why pay a premium for special coins?
    If the price of S/G is $X, why can you never sell it for that? Fees right but they get a chunk out of every oz or coin you cash or trade. Forces you to pay more when you buy and get less when you sell. Private party sales may do better but market prices are not what you get.

I'm not knocking those that want to invest in G/S, I just see issues that push me away from it. There is no way to tell the value of whats at the end of the rainbow until that time comes. I'm diversified: beans and bullets. Lol

Sincerely, good luck with your investments.

I'm not a "extreme" prepper. I don't worry about it.

wildrider666

Master
    Thanks for the link.

This link looks like the one I used years ago, it goes back 100 years and you can select smaller periods. The two biggest spikes had no staying power. If you look at most periods your sale profit would be cut 50% from fees, lf selling in decline it is salt in the wound. I guess it all depends why you buy it.
    http://www.macrotrends.net/1470/historical-silver-prices-100-year-chart

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    I understand gold/silver as a hedge against inflation. The problem I see is that if U.S. currency drops excessively in value then there are two directions.

a. The dollar is crap so you sit on G/S till it comes back up then trade for dollars. Trade G/S for inflated dollars so you can buy what you need as needed?
    b. The dollar totally fails, economy collapses, chaos. Most of the Worlds finances, production and distribution is tied to the dollar. With no authority to recognize its value, is it worth more then its weight in bullets? It may have value outside the U.S. but here you are. G/S will only be worth what someone is willing to give you for it. The higher your need, the less value your G/S has. Since the majority of those surviving the chaos will not have G/S, only material goods and personal skills will have actual value.

We know diamonds are a very controlled monopoly and that controlled release onto the market is the only way they maintain a artificially high value. Is this the same with gold? Gold like diamonds is found and a major find could destabilize the market/economy unless monopolize.
    Why is silver so cheap now? Does it really cost more to produce then its worth (refined ingots)? Nobody ever thought that would happen just as they think it will never happen to gold.

If the SHTF value is in the weight why pay a premium for special coins?
    If the price of S/G is $X, why can you never sell it for that? Fees right but they get a chunk out of every oz or coin you cash or trade. Forces you to pay more when you buy and get less when you sell. Private party sales may do better but market prices are not what you get.

I'm not knocking those that want to invest in G/S, I just see issues that push me away from it. There is no way to tell the value of whats at the end of the rainbow until that time comes. I'm diversified: beans and bullets. Lol

Sincerely, good luck with your investments.

I'm not a "extreme" prepper. I don't worry about it.

spot price is misleading, there is always a premium on top of that, or a spread, so the seller is protected, with a profit....spot price is heavily manipulated by the big bullion banks, jp morgan, etc...the mint has to recoup minting costs also

silver & gold are not so much an investment, as they are a store of value..an oz of gold 100 yrs ago would buy you a tailored suit with all the fixings...and still will today...

.30 in 1964 silver dimes would buy a gallon of gas, and .30 in silver dimes will still buy the same amount today..

MarkS

Master
    I've got to make a trip to Arizona to get the silver dollars my Dad left me
    My half-brother has my third in his closet and said if I could wait he would be coming this Thanksgiving to his daughters place outside of Huntsville.Al. and I wouldn't have to make the long drive to Phoenix
    While I know I can trust him it's his health I worry about
    If it hadn't been for him I'm not sure my Dad would have left me anything as I'm the bastard son he never told the brother about
    Found him and met him in 2009 and we hit it off like we had grown up together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    I've got to make a trip to Arizona to get the silver dollars my Dad left me
    My half-brother has my third in his closet and said if I could wait he would be coming this Thanksgiving to his daughters place outside of Huntsville.Al. and I wouldn't have to make the long drive to Phoenix
    While I know I can trust him it's his health I worry about
    If it hadn't been for him I'm not sure my Dad would have left me anything as I'm the bastard son he never told the brother about
    Found him and met him in 2009 and we hit it off like we had grown up together

here is a site to gauge value, strictly in silver content....get a red book of coins for numismatic value

http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/redbook.html

http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

silver dollar worth about $11.50 in silver, todays price

side note, article about gold bar found in Germany..

http://www.thespreadit.com/gold-bar-lake-keep-69589/

Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    here is a site to gauge value, strictly in silver content....get a red book of coins for numismatic value

http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

silver dollar worth about $11.50 in silver, todays price

side note, article about gold bar found in Germany..

http://www.thespreadit.com/gold-bar-lake-keep-69589/

I've got to see what the numismatic value is as they are all old silver dollars
    Dad told me that he got into collecting them after he found a 1924 Morgan on a job site outside of Seattle

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Dad told me that he got into collecting them after he found a 1924 Morgan on a job site outside of Seattle

depending on the number minted,& the mint,...

http://www.austincoins.com/2016-red-book-of-rare-coin-prices.html

$15 is a wise investment on this;

peace dollars in good condition are much rarer, as they tended to be rubbed more, due to design of the coin.

MarkS

Master
    I will order one if CentryLink ever gets my internet connection back on. I've been down since
    5:00pm Monday and still waiting.

shootnstarz

Master

No Morgans were minted in 1924, those would be Peace dollars or as I call them, Medusas' as that's what the obverse reminds me of. Morgans were made from 1878 to 1904 with another run in 1921.

Value of these of course depends on the condition, year and mint mark. Most all silver dollars have some numismatic value unless they're culls. Any reason he can't mail them to you, heavily insured of course?

BTW, you can get a Red Book at Emerald Coast Coins, same price.

Rick

Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    Supposedly he would have to ship them as freight
    The old man had a huge collection. He started collecting when he retired from the Air Force in 1968 and was still buying them 47years later
    My brother Rick said it took almost a week to sort through them
    Rick's wife died in 2012 an I think he wants to spend more time getting to know his little brother, that's the feeling I get talking with him
    Being the illegitimate child I really didn't expect anything, hell I never got child support and was shocked to find out the old man left me several thousand
    The coins are just an added blessing

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Supposedly he would have to ship them as freight
    The old man had a huge collection. He started collecting when he retired from the Air Force in 1968 and was still buying them 47years later
    My brother Rick said it took almost a week to sort through them
    Rick's wife died in 2012 an I think he wants to spend more time getting to know his little brother, that's the feeling I get talking with him
    Being the illegitimate child I really didn't expect anything, hell I never got child support and was shocked to find out the old man left me several thousand
    The coins are just an added blessing

DO NOT CLEAN THESE COINS!! whatever you do...use no polish or tarnix on them, until you know what you have...you could decrease the value hugely if you do...then there is safe ways to clean them, on youtube

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom