• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    So none of you have ever experienced temporary night vision blindness on a Battlefield?
    Children Please!
    Could a couple of actual Combat Veterans inform them of thier lack of knowledge?

timc

Expert
    What do you need to do in order to counteract muzzle flash in perfect darkness?
    I can’t think of a time I’ve ever been in a perfect darkness, shooting or not. There has always been some ambient light. And I’ve done quite a bit of night/low light shooting and training from SWAT stuff to working midnight shifts. I’ve never had a problem with muzzle flash messing up any nighttime vision. Even when using Distraction Devices, the flash wasn’t an issue, but that might be because I turned my head away from it.
    Last time I did shooting with NODS, muzzle flash wasn’t an issue. And that was with 9mm and 5.56/.223, on a 11.5” barrel AR.
    So as far as counter acting muzzle flash, I don’t do anything, other than activate my weapon light. On one of my main AR’s, I did install a YHM Phantom flash hider and it keeps flash to a minimu.

what do you do to combat muzzle flash in perfect darkness?

M118LR

Master
    I can’t think of a time I’ve ever been in a perfect darkness, shooting or not. There has always been some ambient light. And I’ve done quite a bit of night/low light shooting and training from SWAT stuff to working midnight shifts. I’ve never had a problem with muzzle flash messing up any nighttime vision. Even when using Distraction Devices, the flash wasn’t an issue, but that might be because I turned my head away from it.
    Last time I did shooting with NODS, muzzle flash wasn’t an issue. And that was with 9mm and 5.56/.223, on a 11.5” barrel AR.
    So as far as counter acting muzzle flash, I don’t do anything, other than activate my weapon light. On one of my main AR’s, I did install a YHM Phantom flash hider and it keeps flash to a minimu.

what do you do to combat muzzle flash in perfect darkness?
    With your dominant eye or your off eye?

Raven

Master
    So none of you have ever experienced temporary night vision blindness on a Battlefield?
    Children Please!
    Could a couple of actual Combat Veterans inform them of thier lack of knowledge?
    I had a Staff Sergeant pop off a 40mm night illum in my face once.... and yep, I was blind as a bat for a good little bit

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    I had a Staff Sergeant pop off a 40mm night illum in my face once.... and yep, I was blind as a bat for a good little bit

While on a road march in BCT we tripped a flare... yep, it blinded the shit out of me and I ran full on into the drill Sgt. It actually knocked me down... does that count LOL?

M118LR

Master
    Time to un-watch and mute. Reading these last 2 pages of posts is like watching 2020 unfold.
    Sorry I didn't script this turn. Those that never have don't know what those that actually did had to overcome.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Somewhere this discussion took a sharp left.
    I see no purpose whatsoever for this discussion other than it being a soapbox for the OP to shit all over virtually every response, and watching members get back in line to get another serving. Where is the popcorn emoticon?

Raven

Master
    I see no purpose whatsoever for this discussion other than it being a soapbox for the OP to shit all over virtually every response, and watching members get back in line to get another serving. Where is the popcorn emoticon?
    What did yall expect on a "show and tell" thread? There's gotta be a little strutting around, come on

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    I'm hosting Jamey Caldwell from 1-Minute Out in March for a Night Operator's Course.

I'll have to pay attention on the line and see if night blindness becomes a problem. My night shooting has been limited to a few guys present at the same time and not a full-on fire fight involving dozens of dudes and multiple weapon systems, so I'm not qualified to opinion on the topic beyond my own experiences.

I do know when I cut loose on a pack of hogs in the dark they run in all directions, could that be the night blindness in effect?

M118LR

Master
    So I'll provide the popcorn, explain to the rank & File how you overcome night vision deprivation on an actual "Battlefield".
    Otherwise shut up know it all! JMHO.

M118LR

Master
    God, you really are a moron, aren't you?

No I'm not a moron. But I can honestly backup my statements with documented US Government proof. So you can toss sticks and stones against me. But when it comes to provide facts to the viewing public, your going to need to suppress the truth. It doesn't need to come to this, but should you determine that the truth isn't what you want on your forum. Continue?

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    No I'm not a moron. But I can honestly backup my statements with documented US Government proof. So you can toss sticks and stones against me. But when it comes to provide facts to the viewing public, your going to need to suppress the truth. It doesn't need to come to this, but should you determine that the truth isn't what you want on your forum. Continue?
    ok, have it your way (whatever it was that you just said). I'm in awe of your greatness and tremble in your presence....better? Feel free to carry on.

M118LR

Master
    ok, have it your way (whatever it was that you just said). I'm in awe of your greatness and tremble in your presence....better? Feel free to carry on.

Sorry you feel that way, I only asked a question that folks who have honestly been there and done that could answer. You need not tremble in my presence, for many others have walked within my footsteps. Those folks have defended your rights without question from the beginning of this Republic. Thank You for allowing me to carry on, so I long for the inputs of other Free Americains.

M118LR

Master
    So back to the original programing. How much experience/training do you have with your off eye?

If none, while you squeeze the trigger in the darkness close both your eyes. If a little close your off eye while squeezing the trigger, if you have practiced this regularly while shooting close your dominant eye after the trigger break. Sorry, after all the disruption I'm not sure what we were conversing about.

Top Bottom