• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I shot the first batch of reloads i did today. I used 210 grain cast flat nose bullets and 4.6 grains of win 231. Shot fine and cycled fine but seemed hot to me. I was just glad i didnt blow my hand off. I didnt clean the cases either but i will after today. Hopefully i can find some jacketed bullets soon.

NWFLYJ

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When casting a while back I got a primer mixed in with my mold spur droppings. I got a vist from the tinsel fairy when I melted the next time.

Garpo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Be careful, reloading is addictive. To me, it's better than watching mindless TV and much more rewarding. In addition, I find that my reloads group better than factory ammo.

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i think it might be too late Garpo. i stayed home on a saturday night and reloaded ammo instead of going out. that aint like me at all. im about out of primers and bullets so thatll give me some time to party. you didnt cuss when that happened did you Mark?

Last edited:

NWFLYJ

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had walked out of the room while it was heating up. Just glad I was not sitting in front of it. There are benefits of getting side tracked. lol

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    no shit. that wouldve been bad. did you ever weigh those bullets? i loaded two other loads for them,(some hotter some lower) and the hotter ones shot a hell of a lot better. they still dont like to feed though. im gonna polish the feed ramp and see if thatll help.

Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My 1911 doesn't like to feed the Hornady SWCs I have either. The first few go fine but after the carbon starts to build up, that's when the FTFs start too. So yes, dirty feed ramps. But I also think the crap they coat their bullets with has a lot to do with it too. Obviously jacketed or plated bullets won't have that problem. Curious if your bullets were coated with 'lube' from the factory or not. I'm actually thinking about putting my remaining boxes up for grabs. Someone with a revolver could probably get a LOT better use from them.....

The lube on these SWCs almost feels like a wax. So instead of having a gas check, the whole bullet is coated.....

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    this may sound silly, but sometimes a mag will not work well with swc. there are 2 types of 1911 mags, one has a cutout near lip and one don't, cutout style works better with swc.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have had good luck with this SWC style.

45-caliber-255gr-semi-wadcutter-hard-cast-lead-bullets-1000-count-800x670.jpg

Not so much with this style.

45185swc1.jpg

Nor the jacketed version.

1050359884.jpg

Attachments

• 45-caliber-255gr-semi-wadcutter-hard-cast-lead-bullets-1000-count-800x670.jpg
      45-caliber-255gr-semi-wadcutter-hard-cast-lead-bullets-1000-count-800x670.jpg
      33 KB · Views: 97
    • 45185swc1.jpg
      45185swc1.jpg
      34.1 KB · Views: 89
    • 1050359884.jpg
      1050359884.jpg
      28.6 KB · Views: 96

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    ill get a pic when i get home. ive been looking at different bullets all day and cant remember exactly what they look like now.

Top Bottom