• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDog

Master
    No, the place I'm referring to was off Krome Ave and basically between Kendall Drive and Tamiami Trail on the west side of Krome.
    Yep... so there was a Nike base (way off in the Everglades southwest of Homestead), but...

OK, what about the Krome (primarily Haitian?) Detention Center? Wasn't it in the area you're talking about?

Last edited:

dkg080491

Shooter
    I vaguely remember the "Nike missile" story... is this the location you're referring to?

https://www.nps.gov/ever/learn/historyculture/hm69.htm

From your posts and reading about that center it does sound like you're thinking of the right place. It was only a few brief times as a teenager in the early 2000's when I went so it wasn't any type of facility then and already all tagged up with graffiti and rumors of being an old asylum. Perfect place for teenagers to go scare themselves haha.

Last edited:

Miami_JBT

Expert

From your posts and reading about that center it does sound like you're thinking of the right place. It was only a few brief times as a teenager in the early 2000's when I went so it wasn't any type of facility then and already all tagged up with graffiti and rumors of being an old asylum. Perfect place for teenagers to go scare themselves haha.
    Yeah, that's the place off Krome Ave. I remember it being tagged up.

AeroSME

Shooter
    You do not need more than one acre... keep reading the statute you were so kind to post.
    It's a Florida State Statute, minimum of one acre required. Regardless of space, orientation, backstops, and regular safety requirements always apply.

AeroSME

Shooter
    In 2017, when I moved to Chipley, I asked a Deputy if I could shoot on my property and was told yes. So long as I didn't shoot at night* or across the road. To be clear. I am between Vernon and Wausau not within the city limits. I put an 8' high berm at the timberline giving me an 80-yard lane. I shoot mainly rimfire.

* I have been out at night picking off those pesky armadillos with 22 suppressed.

Happy New Year
    Deputies are not lawyers. Read the Statutes for legalities. Minimum one acre required.

AeroSME

Shooter
    Deputies are not lawyers. Read the Statutes for legalities. Minimum one acre required.
    From Fla State Statute 790.15,
    (4) Any person who recreationally discharges a firearm outdoors, including target shooting, in an area that the person knows or reasonably should know is primarily residential in nature and that has a residential density of one or more dwelling units per acre, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This subsection does not apply:
    (a) To a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm;
    (b) If, under the circumstances, the discharge does not pose a reasonably foreseeable risk to life, safety, or property; or
    (c) To a person who accidentally discharges a firearm.

AeroSME

Shooter
    From Fla State Statute 790.15,
    (4) Any person who recreationally discharges a firearm outdoors, including target shooting, in an area that the person knows or reasonably should know is primarily residential in nature and that has a residential density of one or more dwelling units per acre, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This subsection does not apply:
    (a) To a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm;
    (b) If, under the circumstances, the discharge does not pose a reasonably foreseeable risk to life, safety, or property; or
    Come to think of it, it reads more like its about dwellings than acreage so I'm not certain. A lawyer would help decipher this.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    It's a Florida State Statute, minimum of one acre required. Regardless of space, orientation, backstops, and regular safety requirements always apply.

@AeroSME

You're wrong...

I'll help you out... from FSS 790.15...

You, like most folks and cops included, you don't know how to read statutes. Note the THIS SUBSECTION DOES NOT APPLY part.

Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Come to think of it, it reads more like its about dwellings than acreage so I'm not certain. A lawyer would help decipher this.

No lawyer required... I do this for a living.

This law is nothing more than a firearms centric Culpable Negligence law that was passed to appease ignorant anti 2nd folks. It's no different in essence than FSS 784.05 except it's focused on firearms discharging specifically.

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    @AeroSME

You're wrong... people like you should not post.

I'll help you out... from FSS 790.15...

You, like most folks and cops included, you don't know how to read statutes. Note the THIS SUBSECTION DOES NOT APPLY part.
    reasonable foreseeable risk. Go outside ones backdoor and look for a dwelling ,road ,powerlines ,propane tank , dog house ,grampas 64 ford f100 etc that is just common sense next look left and right 90 degrees for occupied dwellings [aka neighbors ] that is common courtesy . dont have any of that stuff ? invite me over and lets blast the targets/woods up with some mag dumps

AeroSME

Shooter
    No lawyer required... I do this for a living.

This law is nothing more than a firearms centric Culpable Negligence law that was passed to appease ignorant anti 2nd folks. It's no different in essence than FSS 784.05 except it's focused on firearms discharging specifically.
    Thanks for helping me (us) out on that.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    reasonable foreseeable risk. Go outside ones backdoor and look for a dwelling ,road ,powerlines ,propane tank , dog house ,grampas 64 ford f100 etc that is just common sense next look left and right 90 degrees for occupied dwellings [aka neighbors ] that is common courtesy . dont have any of that stuff ? invite me over and lets blast the targets/woods up with some mag dumps

Just have a way to catch your projectiles… that’s all that’s necessary.

Florida has this law, in part, to make sure local governments don’t overstep their authority when it comes to restricting YOUR rights, you should be thankful for the caveat in the law and embrace it.

If you’re safe… the law is meaningless.

Darren0278

Shooter
    I think we are all clear now after contacting the sheriff and his legal department about my range in Chumuckla. The new neighbor callled on me again but the SRSO got it right and explained it to the man. Yes he's still mad and even cursed at the deputies. If anyone needs it there are a couple legal opinions from the Florida AG that are informative as well. Have a good weekend everyone!

AGO-2011-17.
    In sum
    1. Santa Rosa County may not regulate the recreational discharge of firearms in residentially zoned areas as the regulation of firearms is preempted to the state pursuant to section 790.33, Florida Statutes.

Darren0278

Shooter
    Just have a way to catch your projectiles… that’s all that’s necessary.

Florida has this law, in part, to make sure local governments don’t overstep their authority when it comes to restricting YOUR rights, you should be thankful for the caveat in the law and embrace it.

If you’re safe… the law is meaningless.
    Spot on!

DustyDog

Master
    In 2017, when I moved to Chipley, I asked a Deputy if I could shoot on my property and was told yes. So long as I didn't shoot at night* or across the road. To be clear. I am between Vernon and Wausau not within the city limits. I put an 8' high berm at the timberline giving me an 80-yard lane. I shoot mainly rimfire.

* I have been out at night picking off those pesky armadillos with 22 suppressed.

Happy New Year
    There's always the chance you can get approval to shoot across the road :p

Latest posts

Top Bottom