• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstocks

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My Dad, my Grandfather, and one of my good friends has one. Lots of deer killed with those 44 carbines. Dad has a Burris FF3 on his right now. My daughter missed a doe running dogs last year with it. They are sweet guns.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    We ain't worried about the lever action, it's done and sold. It's obvious that Rebelrider1969 isn't interested in any thing I may have to pass. But since you seem to have an open mind, perhaps I can pass a little of my OJT and you can benefit? Granted the OJT may be almost 50 years old. But what year was that carbine made again? If it bothers folks we can converse via PM's. If you smelt your own may be able to pass along a few extra ingots? Not guaranteeing that the tips are exactly answer's, but they may get you close to your carbines nodes. JMHO.

Early 90's? Perhaps I just had a dud.

I'm looking forward to scoping the carbine I have and seeing what it will do.

I have a variety of powders, IMR4227, W296, AA#9, H110. Have to look later to see what projectiles I have, if any.

Arby

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Here's a pic of my Big Brother and Little Brother (.44 Carbine & 10/22). Both Deluxe versions.
    I have a Konus Pro 1.5 X 5 scope on the .44. A Vortex 2 X 7 on the .22.
    This .44 was born in 1967. I got it from the original owner 16 years ago. Only taken hogs and yotes with it. I does put them down.
    1670379784061.png

For those who's .44's didn't shoot well, here's what this one does, 50 yds. off a sandbag. Federal 240 Grain JHP
    That's a 5 shot group. One hole.
    I also tried PMC 240 grain TCSP. That group opened up to an inch and a half and the recoil was much more.
    Have never tried any 180 grainers yet.
    1670380033935.png

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When you are at the bench hold your carbine like you are shooting prone. Start with 240 grain semi jacketed flat based flat points. Barrel harmonics are of significant importance with Rugers Short stroke carbines. IMR 4227 is the best general powder of that day, but your carbine may have a preference for one of the current powders. Times change even if Old Men change slower. Lookup Elmer's favorite loads and start there. They will produce higher velocities and may create above optimum recoil pulses, but as a starting point this is where I began. Elmer started with cast projectiles, but lead poisoning won't help your short stroke action. Remember to keep the port at the highest point while cleaning. $h!t rolls downhill! I used to frequent the ultimate Ruger Mini Forum, go there if you need to find out how and where to get a gas meter to match your carbines favorite load. But since everyone other than SAWMAN should shun me, take this info with a grain of salt. Now when you achieve groups better than this Old Photo and you should easily, we can talk on air again. Just trying to save your reputation. .

Attachments

• mini 30 cold bore.jpg
      mini 30 cold bore.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 33
    Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    When you are at the bench hold your carbine like you are shooting prone. Start with 240 grain semi jacketed flat based flat points. Barrel harmonics are of significant importance with Rugers Short stroke carbines. IMR 4227 is the best general powder of that day, but your carbine may have a preference for one of the current powders. Times change even if Old Men change slower. Lookup Elmer's favorite loads and start there. They will produce higher velocities and may create above optimum recoil pulses, but as a starting point this is where I began. Elmer started with cast projectiles, but lead poisoning won't help your short stroke action. Remember to keep the port at the highest point while cleaning. $h!t rolls downhill! I used to frequent the ultimate Ruger Mini Forum, go there if you need to find out how and where to get a gas meter to match your carbines favorite load. But since everyone other than SAWMAN should shun me, take this info with a grain of salt. Now when you achieve groups better than this Old Photo and you should easily, we can talk on air again. Just trying to save your reputation. .
    LOL

What reputation?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOL

What reputation?
    Not consorting with me.... LOL. That was reserved for SAWMAN. He also had some "Hard Bark on Him". LOL. But if you have any questions of a technical nature with what I have posted, please feel free to quarry Daezee. He was SAWMANs partner in crime, and currently holds the mantle of most trusted member. JMHO.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd like to hear more on this only using 180gr bullets business.
    Ok, we shall wait for others to pass you that info! Or you might learn how to press the like button as you did for all the other forum members that replied to your request for input on this forum!!!!! I believe that I was attempting to assist Bowhntr6pt. You already repeatedly shunned my inputs...... Make your bed and lie in it, or apologize. JMHO. . PS: Bowhunter Please include any 180 grain info to preserve Rebelriders redneck sensibilities. Thank you.

Last edited:

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have a carbine similar to yours with the international stock, the 96/44 lever action and a 77/44 bolt action. I love all three of them and have had amazing results with deer and hogs. I don’t think I have taken a shot over 70 yards with any of them but have all been DRT kills. I finally ended up trying the Leverevolution 225 grain rounds in the 96/44 and now that is all I use in all three.

Pensacola Joe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    @Rebel_Rider1969
    first, great choice In a carbine! So much fun. My recommendations for you are as follows. I rarely if ever shoot 44mag ammo. I prefer 44 special. Less recoil and easier on my old body. I also use 44spc in my super Blackhawk. With the 44special ammo I use 200gr cast with gas checks. The younger more hip reloaders are powder coating their cast now to eliminate the need for gas checks.
    anyway using 44 special brass you should be able to load and shoot any weight bullet you choose with no additional stress or damage to carbine. The carbine is designed for mag ammo but I have never had any issue using 44 special including chamber throat erosion. This carbine will provide you and your offspring and their offspring many many years of pleasurable shooting. If you need any load data or other info please feel free to contact me.
    thanks
    joe

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    @Rebel_Rider1969
    first, great choice In a carbine! So much fun. My recommendations for you are as follows. I rarely if ever shoot 44mag ammo. I prefer 44 special. Less recoil and easier on my old body. I also use 44spc in my super Blackhawk. With the 44special ammo I use 200gr cast with gas checks. The younger more hip reloaders are powder coating their cast now to eliminate the need for gas checks.
    anyway using 44 special brass you should be able to load and shoot any weight bullet you choose with no additional stress or damage to carbine. The carbine is designed for mag ammo but I have never had any issue using 44 special including chamber throat erosion. This carbine will provide you and your offspring and their offspring many many years of pleasurable shooting. If you need any load data or other info please feel free to contact me.
    thanks
    joe
    Good on you Joe. Do to your neighbors as you would want them to do to you. BZ.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    @Rebel_Rider1969
    thanks
    joe
    Will do. Thanks for the info. I have some 44 special ammo. In the middle of a move right now all my toys are secured. ( reloading) I'm guessing the 44 mag dies would work with the 44 special. I may have to order another plate for the lee loadmaster.

Pensacola Joe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have multiple die sets and I leave them adjusted for specific bullet weights. Sure if you are on a budget you can do everything 44 mag and 44 special with 1 set of dies but it is worth the money to me to have sets already adjusted so all I have to do is pick the set that matches what weight cast I am about to load. I do the same thing with 38/357

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Same plate and same dies. Just adjust the seating depth as the 44special brass is 1/8 inch shorter than the 44 mag.
    Let me know how that .44special cycles your Ruger Carbine. It's not a lever action. LOL. Sounds more Yahwist to me.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have never had an issue cycling. Probably close to 4000 rounds and counting.
    There are others here who shall tell if your exploits are dumb luck or common facts. I've been given .44 Mag loads in the thousands because they failed to cycle the Ruger .44 Mag carbine. Just remember that the gas system allows for more gas to cycle the system as time and erosion goes by. Which also increases the recoil impulse and corrodes accuracy. So while it may grow sloppy enough to cycle, it won't hold true enough to be precise. YMMV. But we shall see.

Top Bottom