• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Added a 4x scope and rail awhile back. Just ordered a 10-22 barrel band so I can put a sling on it. Could never nail down if it would fit we shall see. The rifle is the same size as the 10-22. Should be a good woods rambler. Just need to zero the scope and put some test critters in front of it. Sling is temp rigged as of right now. Tube fed model.
    Interested in history and yalls experience with these. Range of the weapon etc..
    20210308_152006.jpg

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I shot the one I had out to 140 yds and could reliably hit the 12" steel. I loved it but don't hunt and once I shot the ammo I had I sold it. It never misshaped at all. It will be a superb woods gun.

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    My brother in law has had one for years, all his kids shot deer with it, he still carries it if he is hunting thick woods and will have a shot under 100. My kids all got their first deer with a lever action 44 mag but we used the same load he was using. A 180 grain Hornady XTP hollow point flat puts a deer down. Keep it clean and they are a great rifle and becoming quite collectible.

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Probably one of my favorites. I’ve owned the mag fed and tube fed models. With the size, weight, and “handiness”, they reminded me of an M1 carbine. Sold both years ago when they went up in value so much, kinda regret it. I always hoped that someone would make larger capacity detachable mags for the mag fed one, lol. And if you really need a nice 3 screw .44 mag Blackhawk to go along with it, lol.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I owned one about 20 years ago. Seems like I paid $150 for it and sold it a year later for $280. It was a cool little gun but I liked my Win 30/30 better for woods walking. Just personal preference.
    Like Tungoil said, pay attention to what ammo you use. I can’t remember the details but I read that there were issues with the metal splitting with some of the more powerful ammo.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I owned one about 20 years ago. Seems like I paid $150 for it and sold it a year later for $280. It was a cool little gun but I liked my Win 30/30 better for woods walking. Just personal preference.
    Like Tungoil said, pay attention to what ammo you use. I can’t remember the details but I read that there were issues with the metal splitting with some of the more powerful ammo.
    180gr, got it!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Probably one of my favorites. I’ve owned the mag fed and tube fed models. With the size, weight, and “handiness”, they reminded me of an M1 carbine. Sold both years ago when they went up in value so much, kinda regret it. I always hoped that someone would make larger capacity detachable mags for the mag fed one, lol. And if you really need a nice 3 screw .44 mag Blackhawk to go along with it, lol.
    Funny you should say that. I was thinking the same thing. Missed one at the gunshow last year for $400 even had western holster with it, duh. Looped back around and it was gone! Ignored that gut feeling... double duh.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have the one my father bought at Montgomery Wards at the Tallahassee Mall back in 1976.

Has "MADE IN THE 200th YEAR OF THE AMERICAN LIBERITY" on the barrel.

I acquired a second one back in the early 90's and like a fool sold it.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    They do make a 10 round metal mag $140.00 I couldn't bring myself to order one knowing I was going to sell when the ammo ran out.
    1670343278249.png

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had one back in the 80's. Never had any troubles with heavy loads, back then 265 grain Hornady just like I used in .444 Marlin only loaded to .44 Mag levels with IMR 4227. Just keep the loads hot enough for proper cycling of the action. When you find the right node 1 inch 100 Yard groups or less can be had. Longest actual harvest was 75 yards, but deer in that area normally dressed out over 200 lbs. Great deep woods carbine. I matched it up with a 4 inch Dan Wesson. Straight walled cases are so easy to reload they can even be done by hand without a press. Found Hornady brass gave me the most reloads per case. Nowadays the Mini-30 with it's longer 150 yard max range and low cost commie ammo has taken it's place. Enjoy! They are a blast.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks to this thread I just pulled mine out of the safe, gave it a quick cleaning, and ordered a 1-piece mount as I've been wanting to scope this thing and smack a few hogs with it.

Might go with a Vortex 1-4...

ETA- on second thought, I just realized I have an older Bushnell 3-9 with German Post reticle, got it while stationed in Germany in the early 80's, I think it will work pretty good. Thick post for running hog shots...

Last edited:

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    My friends dad had one that I just loved - but the accuracy was absolutely horrible - it was off the paper 2 out of 5 shots at 25 yards.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Thanks to this thread I just pulled mine out of the safe, gave it a quick cleaning, and ordered a 1-piece mount as I've been wanting to scope this thing and smack a few hogs with it.

Might go with a Vortex 1-4...

ETA- on second thought, I just realized I have an older Bushnell 3-9 with German Post reticle, got it while stationed in Germany in the early 80's, I think it will work pretty good. Thick post for running hog shots...

Yeah! Go blast some pork!! Be sure to show us the results!

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My friends dad had one that I just loved - but the accuracy was absolutely horrible - it was off the paper 2 out of 5 shots at 25 yards.

I also had the lever action .44 Mag, I think it was the 44/96. As much as I tried to love that rifle it shot like crap with everything I tried.

I can't remember the last time I shot my 44 Carbine, kind of interested to see what it does scoped.

I think I'll do a 50 yard zero and make a dope card to 150 yards in 25 yard increments.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I also had the lever action .44 Mag, I think it was the 44/96. As much as I tried to love that rifle it shot like crap with everything I tried.

I can't remember the last time I shot my 44 Carbine, kind of interested to see what it does scoped.

I think I'll do a 50 yard zero and make a dope card to 150 yards in 25 yard increments.
    You may find that handloading allows you to tailor loads that remove excess recoil impulse and also provides tightest groupings. As with all the short stroke Rugers, they tend to go hand in hand. JMHO.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You may find that handloading allows you to tailor loads that remove excess recoil impulse and also provides tightest groupings. As with all the short stroke Rugers, they tend to go hand in hand. JMHO.

All I do is hand load... it shot like crap with various bullet and powder. I sold it.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All I do is hand load... it shot like crap with various bullet and powder. I sold it.
    We ain't worried about the lever action, it's done and sold. It's obvious that Rebelrider1969 isn't interested in any thing I may have to pass. But since you seem to have an open mind, perhaps I can pass a little of my OJT and you can benefit? Granted the OJT may be almost 50 years old. But what year was that carbine made again? If it bothers folks we can converse via PM's. If you smelt your own may be able to pass along a few extra ingots? Not guaranteeing that the tips are exactly answer's, but they may get you close to your carbines nodes. JMHO.

Top Bottom