• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Action

Expert
    I have seen the national guard deployed in Alabama and they didn't have ammo for their weapons. Granted it was a flood but it was a disaster. People who depend on others for protection are called victims!

Snow Bird

Master
    Sean,then hell i'll take a chance. Always like to win at something,bring it on.:laser:

Snow Bird

Master
    A win is a win,no matter how it happens. Now you have to understand that I can't see out of my master eye and shoot alitle off to the left SO it might be a fair match up.

CCHGN

Banned
    I thought everything fell apart after Katrina with LE and there was looting and for the most part the gunfire was coming from thugs. Guess you watched diffrent news than the rest of the country.
    well, I watched the same news you did and then I actually went there. What we all saw in NOLA was about 1 square mile of downtown NOLA, with 1% looting. Katrina spread across LA, MS and Al. 99% of folks didn't loot and riot, they pitched in and helped neighbors survive.

Like I said, alot of laws came out of Katrina, specifically dealing with catastrophic emergencies and some LE were convicted of murder and looting. One law is that NO one can confiscate guns in an emergency. Also, has anyone here heard of CERT? This is a org of civilians, in conjunction with authorities, that practice and plan for an emergency. Yes, there's plans in place for most emergencies and it deals with restoring order asap.

Folks have been watching too many movies. Unless it's a hurricane or major wild fire, most emergencies will be local and alot of folks won't even feel it. Racial riot? where would that start? Grocery shelves empty? where would that start? Gas pumps empty? we've never faced that before, have we?

I'd love to hear a realistic scenario where it's total chaos and no rule of law.

Last edited:

FNHman

Marksman
    Well, we(us) we may be fighting each other. To avoid that we need colors, flags, signals or something to let each other know that we Are the good "Guys". I'm sure we don't want to kill one another??????

I thought the GCGF t-shirts were for that,lol.

It will be easy to recognize me, I'll be the one in full body armor. Just follow the trail of empty brass.

"Disclaimer"
    The above post is fiction.

Snow Bird

Master
    CC you can't tell anything from news reports and help,not even water showing up for several days even after they knew the hurricane was comeing. Not even buse drivers to get people out of harms way. Guess news is diffrent up north..

This whole thread was about if everything went to shit. If that happened there would be NO help from the Gov. Destruction from Katrina was small peanuts compared to a nation wide shutdown of all services. There is real fear about our power grid going down nation wide from hackers.

I have never seen store shelves empty,gas pumps empty,But I have seen them where there wasn't much but pet food and paper towles.Gas stations would only sell you 5 gallons of gas. That was 3 or 4 years before Katrina when a huracane was coming toward NOLA and a cat5. Lucky it died 100 miles off shore to a cat 1 and did little damage. I was living in Hammond LA at the time and know it to be a fact. Memory is bad so I cant tell you the name of it.

This whole thing is a fairy tail anyway for now but we will know you will be fine anyway with your farm watch group and you will all hang together. Hell your little group will probally go out and help protect some that aren't even in your group to keep the bad guys from getting close.

By the way I am suprised you haven't cleared a fire zone around your house so people can't hide in the timber and fire from cover. But it sounds like you depend on your neighbors to warn you of trouble.as you live in the center, Thought you said you planed it that way. Maybe i'm wroung about that.

Seanpcola

Depends on the type of disaster and duration. I lived through Ivan and the total destruction of my house and neighborhood and the losss of everything I owned. I saw the best of people come out along with the worse. Noone went hungry, thirsty or suffered from the abscence of required medication (as far as I know). I also saw some looting and personally know of one looter that got shot like the rabid dog he was. That was a localized and relatively short duration emergency. In a total breakdown of infrastructure lasting a few months, maybe years, maybe forever all bets are off. I try to liken it to living out West in the mid 1800s but I don't think it would be the same. I thing bad guys would be worse nowadays for a miriad of reasons.

All this of course is just theoretical. I feel it highly unlikely to have a zombie apocalypse, nuclear war or natural disaster of epic proportion. Economic breakdown maybe. If I had a spare $200,000 I have full free access to 40 acres of relatively easily defensible yet difficult.to.access land with a house and outbuildings. With a group of say 30 trustworthy friends I could make that place a preppers wildest dream. However, I'm not gonna lose sleep over the possibility.

CCHGN

Banned
    This whole thread was about if everything went to shit. If that happened there would be NO help from the Gov. Destruction from Katrina was small peanuts compared to a nation wide shutdown of all services. There is real fear about our power grid going down nation wide from hackers.

Ok, but imo, it needs to be realistic SHTF. I doubt there will be any "Nationwide shutdown of all services". If all LE went on strike, the military will fill in. If utility folks went on strike, leaders will replace them. Americans have had all kinds of crisese, we are known to rebound and rebuild.

Half the NorthEast is without power right now, IS there chaos and raiding? Nope, Like I said, whatver folks' profession is, they will do their job, for free if necessary, to help restore normalcy. They will worry about pay later.

I have never seen store shelves empty,gas pumps empty,But I have seen them where there wasn't much but pet food and paper towles.Gas stations would only sell you 5 gallons of gas. That was 3 or 4 years before Katrina when a huracane was coming toward NOLA and a cat5. Lucky it died 100 miles off shore to a cat 1 and did little damage. I was living in Hammond LA at the time and know it to be a fact. Memory is bad so I cant tell you the name of it.

Oh so the oil embargo back in the 70's didn't effect you? You didn't have to wait in long lines to get a couple of gallons of gas? Not to mention the Great Depression and WWI and WWII. Americans adapt and survive.

This whole thing is a fairy tail anyway for now but we will know you will be fine anyway with your farm watch group and you will all hang together. Hell your little group will probally go out and help protect some that aren't even in your group to keep the bad guys from getting close.

well, most folks agree that SOMETHING is going to happen, just not sure what, so it's not so far fetched. The key is to have a realistic plan for it, but imo being able to sustain yourself without outside help, i.e. having to go to a govt shelter or camp, which most won't think that's a bad idea.

By the way I am suprised you haven't cleared a fire zone around your house so people can't hide in the timber and fire from cover. But it sounds like you depend on your neighbors to warn you of trouble.as you live in the center, Thought you said you planed it that way. Maybe i'm wroung about that.

Well, I'm not sure which war movies you've been watching, but this is not a paramilitary operation at all. This is a bunch of like minded folks getting together and deciding to look out for each other and defend their farms.
    Looking at the overall place, seeing that there's only 2 ways in here, so at the first sign of trouble, blockade both entrances. The whole place is surrounded by rivers and Eglin AFB. The way the place is layed out is layers and layers of circles within circles of farms. Everyone will face out and all able bodies will go out to the outter defenses and work our way in, to the center.

So I don't need to clear a fire zone, if folks get to my place wanting to shoot me, then that means 100's of my neighbors have been killed and I don't stand a chance anyway.

Last edited:

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Im thinking yalls farm/castle idea will b like shooting baited seguls at the beach with my Ole cheap pink 50 BMG. Lucky for yall I can only currently afford to have 115 rounds saved up for BMG :(

How many like minded able bodied nabors did u have again CCHGN

(disclaimer all for fun an pun)

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Some people "think" they are ready and prepared, in actuality few of us will be prepared, good luck to all.

jbrian420

Shooter
    I hope there's not that many trained outlaws out there that are heartless and so willing to take innocent life. Must criminals I like to envision are lousy untrained spray and pray type shooters.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

CCHGN

Banned
    I try to liken it to living out West in the mid 1800s but I don't think it would be the same. I thing bad guys would be worse nowadays for a miriad of reasons.

Agreed, but alot of folks have the wrong idea about just how it really was out West( which could also be Down South or the hills of Ky or WV). Those were folks who went out to wild, undeveloped lands with hostile inhabitants and carved places out of the dirt. Just going out there, they had to defend themselves. We all know about circling the wagons and everyone pitches in. Many died, more survived. Then, when thay got there, all they had was hand tools and want to. Many went crazy and checked out, alot got sick and died. Most survivors formed groups and defended themselves.

Guns were expensive and most didn't own handguns. Bullets were even more expensive and short in supply. Most folks had a shotgun and only fired once or twice a year. Folks knew they couldn't hesitate to kill any threat, or be killed. There was a HUGE phenom of politeness, but alot of folks were poor and desparate. Most folks worked for room and board or a meal. Very few tried to steal. The truth is, most gun fights were ambushes. Horse and cattle thieves were hanged on the spot. Posse's were the norm. Most crooks were caught and swift justice was famous. Bounty rewards was a great deterant, lot of folks were poor.

Hell on Wheels( also, Copper) shows a pretty good depiction of Western towns- tents in the mud, all kinds of immmigrants, with different languages and customs. Alot of good folks, some bad, easy women, opium and rot gut whiskey.

All this of course is just theoretical. I feel it highly unlikely to have a zombie apocalypse, nuclear war or natural disaster of epic proportion. Economic breakdown maybe. If I had a spare $200,000 I have full free access to 40 acres of relatively easily defensible yet difficult.to.access land with a house and outbuildings. With a group of say 30 trustworthy friends I could make that place a preppers wildest dream. However, I'm not gonna lose sleep over the possibility.

well, imo, most any place can be defeated by fire, so there's no sense in trying to attempt a inpenetrable fortress. The next logical thing to me is to hide in plain sight and make my place as unattractive as possible. My goal is to have LE or military or BG look at me and keep going, nothing worth the effort.

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned
    Some people "think" they are ready and prepared, in actuality few of us will be prepared, good luck to all.

Come on, Frank. I don't think I'm ready or prepared, but I know I'm as prepared as I can be, come what may. No one can be absolutely prepared for ANY thing, the trick is to be as prepared as you can and have access to stuff. The trick is to not have everything, but know how to get just about anything. The most powerful thing I have is my neighbors and bartering network. IF I was in a suburb ( or trailer park) I'd be active in a neighborhood watch group. Any plan is better than no plan. Also, like the Gambler, know when to hold 'em, fold 'em, walk away and when to run.

CCHGN

Banned
    I hope there's not that many trained outlaws out there that are heartless and so willing to take innocent life. Must criminals I like to envision are lousy untrained spray and pray type shooters.

IMO, more important is when anyone decides to murder, honest citizens step up and hunt them down and take them out and send a message to outsiders( I'm thinking bodies impaled at the front gate) that we won't be victims.

Last edited:

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    IMO, more important is when anyone decides to murder, honest citizens step up and hunt them down and take them out and send a message to outsiders( I'm thinking bodies impaled at the front gate) that we won't be victims.

Just for clairty hunting armed humans is not like deer they shoot back. You nor ur nabor would ever get even close enough to know where i was before ur head went missing. Im thinking u would b better to cut ur loss and stay at ur castle and protect for the next intruder instead of leaving on a witch hunt while other unable body nabors stayed behind for slaughter. Nothing personal im just looking out for ya. A semi auto AR10 with scope and a gilley suit can make for a bad day for multiple human hunters. So then at best u now would have 20 less nabors before u got me?

(disclaimer when i say me i mean the fake cyber criminal version of myself)

CCHGN

Banned
    Just for clairty hunting armed humans is not like deer they shoot back. You nor ur nabor would ever get even close enough to know where i was before ur head went missing. Im thinking u would b better to cut ur loss and stay at ur castle and protect for the next intruder instead of leaving on a witch hunt while other unable body nabors stayed behind for slaughter. Nothing personal im just looking out for ya. A semi auto AR10 with scope and a gilley suit can make for a bad day for multiple human hunters. So then at best u now would have 20 less nabors before u got me?

(disclaimer when i say me i mean the fake cyber criminal version of myself)

well, I'm not talking about going out and hunting anyone, I'm talking about simply locating and eliminating someone who's come into my area, with intent to do harm.

Ok, let's think this through, so you have a gillie suit and scoped AR10, so you decide to what, sneak into American Farms and do what? snipe at folks? OK, so you don't see that as soon as you shoot the first person, the rest of their family and friends and neighbors will let their dogs loose to hunt you. You don't think dogs can find you? Everyone out here has dogs, alot of hunting dogs, hog dogs. We have 3 Austalian cattle dogs and wolf( as well as a pair of chihuahuas and a Shiba Inu inside) that ain't afraid of nuthin'. So what, you'll hide from them? kill all them and then the owners who're following their dogs? You don't think that you could be located and surrounded? You don't think that there's any snipers out here?

I think that idea is right behind(in bad ideas) a car load of thugs driving in and thinking they're gonna do some home invasions. They will never make it out alive. Folks know these woods, they hike in them and hunt and ride horses all through these woods. Everybody knows everybody, they know who belongs out here and who don't because they see them every day, year after year.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom