Picked up a G40 MOS gen 4, education required.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDog

Master
    Whew! Scared me for a min. Wanted the sds direct mount but it was another $100+
    SCS? I just looked at the one for the M&P ($349 on Amazon), but it looks like it sits too low for tall sights, which mine will have (not the end of the world, but... )... good for standard-height sights though.

I'm going to have to do more checking, but it looks like the shake-awake on my Viridian takes a couple of seconds... and it's a "soft start", i.e., the dot "fades" into view, so there may be the potential to draw and have to wait a second for the dot to fire up :oops:

I'm curious as to how the "shake" works... is it a mercury switch? Is it a vibration sensor? Clinometer? GPS? Would help to know so I can take a positive action to turn it on. Right now, I just bang the mag with my left palm when I draw :p

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    SCS? I just looked at the one for the M&P ($349 on Amazon), but it looks like it sits too low for high sights, which mine will have (not the end of the world, but... )... good for standard-height sights though.

I'm going to have to do more checking, but it looks like the shake-awake on my Viridian takes a couple of seconds... and it's a "soft start", i.e., the dot "fades" into view, so there may be the potential to draw and have to wait a second for the dot to fire up :oops:

I'm curious as to how the "shake" works... is it a mercury switch? Is it a vibration sensor? Clinometer? GPS? Would help to know so I can take a positive action to turn it on. Right now, I just bang the mag with my left palm when I draw :p
    Good habit anyway. They can and will sometimes release on a carry gun due to the gymnastics of daily wear. One of the reasons I like shoulder or chest carry.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    The holster I got from Fathertime was missing the retention strap. Emailed them this afternoon about buying one, boom! Diamond D holsters is A1.
    Screenshot_20230219-223641_Email.jpg

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Pocket bazooka! How snappy is it??

For concealed carry, the Glock 30S is nice. The slide is the same width as the 9/40 slides. The frame is a Glock 30SF. Overall size is almost identical to a Glock 19 (except the frame is the slightly-wider Glock 30SF).
    (Not to be confused with the Glock 36…)

If your new chest holster depends on the trigger guard for retention/lock, then the 30S should work. However, the slide area might “rattle” a bit since it’s slimmer than the 21 and 30, like a 19.

As for recoil, not snappy at all. Comparable to the 21 Gen4.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    For concealed carry, the Glock 30S is nice. The slide is the same width as the 9/40 slides. The frame is a Glock 30SF. Overall size is almost identical to a Glock 19 (except the frame is the slightly-wider Glock 30SF).
    (Not to be confused with the Glock 36…)

If your new chest holster depends on the trigger guard for retention/lock, then the 30S should work. However, the slide area might “rattle” a bit since it’s slimmer than the 21 and 30, like a 19.

As for recoil, not snappy at all. Comparable to the 21 Gen4.
    Thanks. Looking for one now. Figure with the grip sleeve and g21 mags it's a 19 slide,17 grip ish size. G30X?Fondled one at the gunshow grip was a bit short for me. Is there a Gen 3 model??

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Thanks. Looking for one now. Figure with the grip sleeve and g21 mags it's a 19 slide,17 grip ish size. G30X?Fondled one at the gunshow grip was a bit short for me. Is there a Gen 3 model??

I think the 30S is considered a Gen 3.
    I don’t think there is a slide marked “30S Gen 4”.

The 30S is kind of a hybrid. The slide is effectively off a 36, so it has a dual recoil spring setup like a Gen4 slide. The frame is effectively off a 30SF, which “was” a Gen3 itself but is discontinued now, I believe. All factory tweaked/matched up from Glock as the “30S”.

Your “30X” name is hilarious (and a fairly accurate comparison). Might actually become a thing one day. Just like Glock made the “30S” after a enough folks cobbled the slide off a 36 to the 30SF frame...

DustyDog

Master
    Postal service sucks! My plates were supposed to be here today! Grrrr.
    Shoulda' bought an S&W... the one I ordered yesterday comes with SEVEN (?!?) plates. I'm gettin' the 4.25" 9mm, but here's the identical pistol in 10mm/4.6" that they had in stock. $500 after rebate (plus tax, tag, and title). I hit the lottery, I'LL have a 10mm, which will make a matched set (4" .22, 4.25" 9mm, and 4.6" 10mm), all with the same manual safety : )

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/m-p-10mm-m2.0-thumb-safety-optics-ready-slide

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Shoulda' bought an S&W... the one I ordered yesterday comes with SEVEN (?!?) plates. I'm gettin' the 4.25" 9mm, but here's the identical pistol in 10mm/4.6" that they had in stock. $500 after rebate (plus tax, tag, and title). I hit the lottery, I'LL have a 10mm, which will make a matched set (4" .22, 4.25" 9mm, and 4.6" 10mm), all with the same manual safety : )

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/m-p-10mm-m2.0-thumb-safety-optics-ready-slide
    10mm is only good if you reload or buy the spendy ammo underwood, buff bore. Factory 10mm sucks, might as well shoot 40 short an weak.

DustyDog

Master
    10mm is only good if you reload or buy the spendy ammo underwood, buff bore. Factory 10mm sucks, might as well shoot 40 short an weak.
    Yep... they had the 10mm, in stock, same price, but first there is the increased ammo cost, and next there is the question as to whether my hands can really handle and would like it. They are in constant pain, and grip-strength greatly diminished due to work injuries over 20 years ago. As I tell people: The only higher-powered pistol I would probably enjoy shooting is a Desert Eagle .357 (Just checked yesterday, they don't MAKE a 10mm for some reason : )

Top Bottom