APOD Firearms

Picked up a G40 MOS gen 4, education required.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Then there are the enclosed emitter types (link below), which supposedly have the advantage where dirt and moisture are concerned, but I'm not so convinced. The glass can still fog on the outside (and hopefully not on the inside!), and can still get dirty, and the solution would be the same as with an open emitter: wiping off or blowing out, or maybe in an emergency just popping off a round to throw the dirt or moisture off : )

I've never hunted hogs, so I don't know how you guys do it, but I could picture someone laying prone in tall grass waiting for the hogs to come over, then trying to take the shot only to have a brown recluse blocking the emitter : )

https://www.steiner-optics.com/battle-sights/mps

Funny you mention this...

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Making an awful lot of noise in that grass... then he stands up to advance in broad daylight while wearing a white Tshirt. I doubt he shot anything.

You do realize that was me... lol. Hog DRT, my 9 y/o grandson went to cover his dang ears right as I shot.

I've done it a few times by the way...

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I know very little about RDS's for pistols, what's the technical negatives on the DPP?

Large window? Weight? Single control? For my use as an aiming solution for strictly hunting those concerns are a wash.

I used aftermarket screws with the factory plate and so far with quite a few rounds of "full-power" 10mm and several hundred rounds with the 9mm no issues. My G41 MOS only has about 50-75 rounds but so far no problems.

Is there something else in the technology that matters?

Thanks.
    Durability has been the main complaints I've heard on a pistol with the DPP, with volume shooting. Same with the MOS plates - occasional shooters may not see an issue.

I have RMRs on 3 rifles (used one on a pistol for awhile, but the remove the sight for the battery is a PITA) and 4 x 507K/ACSS, 2 x 509-ACSS, 1 each 507C and EPS Carry.

Now that closed emitters are more available, I see no reason at getting new open emitters - but I don't see replacing the 507Ks en-mass.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Durability has been the main complaints I've heard on a pistol with the DPP, with volume shooting. Same with the MOS plates - occasional shooters may not see an issue.

I have RMRs on 3 rifles (used one on a pistol for awhile, but the remove the sight for the battery is a PITA) and 4 x 507K/ACSS, 2 x 509-ACSS, 1 each 507C and EPS Carry.

Now that closed emitters are more available, I see no reason at getting new open emitters - but I don't see replacing the 507Ks en-mass.
    Looking at the acss holosuns. You obviously like them!

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Thanks... so far no issues but I've not shot them for "years" like other people have.

I've encountered them in my classes and no issues as of yet, I know Bob Keller uses and likes them, I know he has used the stew out of them for at least the five or six years I've been training with him, he won't use or support ANYTHING he doesn't personally agree with or use.

I need to educate myself on the issue of open and closed emitters. Thanks again.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I use CHPWS plate for most applications. Forward Controls Design also does plates. As far as dots, Holosun 509t is my go to but the 507c or an RMR, possibly a Delta Point Pro? Zev triggers are legit but no telling which one it is without checking to see if striker or disconnector is also Zev... nice score J!
    Just looked. All zev parts. Are these triggers as safe as the orginal glock ones?

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    They are good to go. Have used several over the years and they are very good. Never had any safety problems or concerns. Zev is legit...

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I need to educate myself on the issue of open and closed emitters. Thanks again.
    Basically an open emitter only has one pane of glass with the emitter 'exposed' to the elements. So if you put dirt / mud / etc behind your DDP window it could prevent the dot / reticle from being projected on the front piece of glass.
    A closed emitter is like an Aimpoint or Eotech RDS, with glass in front and behind the emitter, which is fully enclosed. You can obviously get mud on the front or rear glass which prevents you from seeing through the optic, but internally the emitter is still putting the Red dot on the glass and wiping the glass. With an exposed emitter, you could have mud / etc over top of the emitter and it gets dirtier easier and could be harder to clean and not work as well in the rain.

I'm really fine with either, but I see enclosed as better, but not so much as to replace my working open emitters (RMR, 507s, etc). But closed emitters aren't noticeably bigger and are IMO the way going forward.

Top Bottom