APOD Firearms

Picked up a G40 MOS gen 4, education required.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Basically an open emitter only has one pane of glass with the emitter 'exposed' to the elements. So if you put dirt / mud / etc behind your DDP window it could prevent the dot / reticle from being projected on the front piece of glass.
    A closed emitter is like an Aimpoint or Eotech RDS, with glass in front and behind the emitter, which is fully enclosed. You can obviously get mud on the front or rear glass which prevents you from seeing through the optic, but internally the emitter is still putting the Red dot on the glass and wiping the glass. With an exposed emitter, you could have mud / etc over top of the emitter and it gets dirtier easier and could be harder to clean and not work as well in the rain.

I'm really fine with either, but I see enclosed as better, but not so much as to replace my working open emitters (RMR, 507s, etc). But closed emitters aren't noticeably bigger and are IMO the way going forward.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Basically an open emitter only has one pane of glass with the emitter 'exposed' to the elements. So if you put dirt / mud / etc behind your DDP window it could prevent the dot / reticle from being projected on the front piece of glass.
    A closed emitter is like an Aimpoint or Eotech RDS, with glass in front and behind the emitter, which is fully enclosed. You can obviously get mud on the front or rear glass which prevents you from seeing through the optic, but internally the emitter is still putting the Red dot on the glass and wiping the glass. With an exposed emitter, you could have mud / etc over top of the emitter and it gets dirtier easier and could be harder to clean and not work as well in the rain.

I'm really fine with either, but I see enclosed as better, but not so much as to replace my working open emitters (RMR, 507s, etc). But closed emitters aren't noticeably bigger and are IMO the way going forward.
    I can say from experience with the Romeo zero on my drag around the woods KT P17, I've gotten crap in it and blocked the dot. A piece of corn dust or pine bark about the size of a pencil lead and it's out of service till ya shake it or blow in it. So it can happen.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Pawnshop cruising today after Dr. Appointment. $5 CQC holster, just need screws and backing plate. Also should work with some tweaking on my chest rig.
    ** also works with my G21.
    20230213_175520.jpg
    20230213_175507.jpg

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I use a Trijicon RMR. I find that the single dot is difficult to acquire at times. I like the Holosun circle with dot. There is a SCS that will mount directly to the slide with no plates required. Can use standard height sights
    Tks. Yep, I'm definitely going with the bullseye type reticle. When battling vicious deer and hogs I need every advantage I can get!!, lol.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    AHA! Probably too late now, but another thing to consider is dot color. Red would be best if you're mostly doing nights, green (or some other color) may have advantages in the day, depending on the most likely background color. Lots of green grass? May want red. Lots of red clay? Maybe green.

P.S., apparently you guys haven't heard, but S&W now has a 10mm M&P. I asked the local dealer if he would be willing to take your Glocks on trade, but he said not really since no one is going to want them any more. He said he might let a Glock trade cover the sales tax... as long as it's NIB... but that's about it : )

Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    SCS holosun is the only one I know that will mount without a plate and have shake awake.
    It also has lines on it that match the slide.
    Now that you have a couple 10 mils.....get rid of all that 45 and put money in your pocket. Haha.

I like the large backstrap. Gives a bigger grip and the larger beaver tail really lets you get aggressive with it. No worry of slide bite, ever

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    AHA! Probably too late now, but another thing to consider is dot color. Red would be best if you're mostly doing nights, green (or some other color) may have advantages in the day, depending on the most likely background color. Lots of green grass? May want red. Lots of red clay? Maybe green.

P.S., apparently you guys haven't heard, but S&W now has a 10mm M&P. I asked the local dealer if he would be willing to take your Glocks on trade, but he said not really since no one is going to want them any more. He said he might let a Glock trade cover the sales tax... as long as it's NIB... but that's about it : )
    Most all of my hunting is in the day time so green will be ok. As far as 10mm s&w's go, they realized how much $$ they were missing out on. Alot of companies are building them now playing catch up. Glad to see it. 10mm is a very good round. Problem is most factory rounds are loaded weak. Handloads done right are devastating on game. 9 is fine, but 10 is for men....

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yeah, until ya shoot +50 rds at the range and go ^$$&*/÷÷$::! That kicks!
    Yep... I got traumatic arthritis in both hands and tendonitis in both elbows from work injuries over 20 years ago (from trying to jam stuck lumber into a moulder every day). They... and my wrists... hurt all the time, snapping, popping, sometimes feeling like I stuck a finger in an electrical socket and locking up, and grip-strength is greatly diminished. The only high-powered handgun I can imagine wanting to shoot would be a Desert Eagle .357 : )

But check this out: When I was in first or second grade, my father "let" me fire his .41 or .44 mag. Ruger single-action (he had both, and I can't remember which it was). Keep in mind I only hit 69 lbs. in the seventh grade, so just imagine. It was so heavy I couldn't lock my arms out, and my father kept telling me "you don't want to do that" when I would bend my elbows, but he let me fire it anyway.

Took a hammer to the forehead. Lucky I'm still here, I guess, but I did get to impress all the chicks at school with the story about how I got that knot : )

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    SCS holosun is the only one I know that will mount without a plate and have shake awake.
    It also has lines on it that match the slide.
    Now that you have a couple 10 mils.....get rid of all that 45 and put money in your pocket. Haha.

I like the large backstrap. Gives a bigger grip and the larger beaver tail really lets you get aggressive with it. No worry of slide bite, ever
    Nope, moved the g20 the same day. The G21 is my apocalypse double stack black hole machine. Gonna get a holster and attach it to my plate armor ready rig.

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My g30 gets most of my carry around the farm. I have a owb holster with a spare mag holder. One mag with defensive rounds for critters, and the second in the spare pouch loaded with snake shot. Snakes usually hang around long enough for a mag change.

Top Bottom