• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miami_JBT

Expert
    CA Attorney General joins FL in fighting against repeal of the Under-21 Purchase Ban.

Yup, the State of California, along with twenty other anti-gun Attorney Generals has filed amicus briefs to support Florida's Republican Attorney General Ashley Moody to fight against the repeal of the Republican passed gun control after Parkland in 2018. Currently, in the 11th Circuit, the Under-21 Purchase Ban has been appealed for an en banc review after a three-judge panel ruled that the Under-21 Purchase Ban was constitutional under NYSRPA v. Bruen.

At no point as Gov. DeSantis nor has FL AG Moody publicly commented on this case and the law specifically being unconstitutional.

But AG Moody sure likes to crow on Twitter how pro-gun she is.

image.png

image.png

The fact that you have a Republican AG in a Republican Supermajority State fighting against the repeal of a unconstitutional law, with a Republican Governor staying silent on the issue is deafening.

image.png

Friday, August 30, 2024
    SACRAMENTO — California Attorney General Rob Bonta today joined a multistate coalition of attorneys general encouraging the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, sitting en banc, to affirm a 2021 district court decision rejecting a Second Amendment challenge to a Florida law that prohibits any person under the age of 21 from purchasing firearms and prohibits federally licensed firearms dealers from selling firearms to anyone younger than 21. The brief, filed in National Rifle Association v. Commissioner, warns that an opinion of the full court striking down the Florida law could undermine efforts by states to protect their citizens through the application of similar age limitations laws.

“States need the freedom to develop individualized firearms regulations tailored to the specific public safety needs and circumstances in their jurisdictions,” said Attorney General Bonta. “Many states across the nation, including California, impose some age-based restrictions on the possession, purchase, transfer, or use of firearms, reflecting their collective judgment that such laws promote public safety and curb gun violence within their borders. I stand with Florida and other states dedicated to safeguarding commonsense gun laws.”

Plaintiffs challenged Florida’s age limit law on the ground that it unduly infringes upon the Second Amendment rights of individuals aged 18 to 20. But the district court rejected that claim in 2021 based on a historical record that provides abundant evidence of a longstanding tradition of limiting access to firearms for those under age 21. In 2023, a three-judge panel for the Eleventh Circuit assessed the challenge under the new legal framework from the U.S. Supreme Court’s 2022 decision in New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen, and affirmed the district court’s decision to uphold Florida’s law. The Second Amendment allows governments to enact sensible and varied regulations designed to protect the public as long as those regulations are consistent with the nation’s historical tradition.

These efforts continue the ongoing work of Attorney General Bonta to protect the public from gun violence. Recently, the Attorney General launched a first-in-the-nation Office of Gun Violence Prevention, took legal action against ghost gun retailers, advocated for and defended commonsense gun laws, worked on the ground to keep firearms out of the hands of dangerous individuals, and announced Senate Bill 2 (SB 2), to strengthen California's existing concealed carry weapon (CCW) laws. California’s Assembly Bill 1594 (AB 1594), which was sponsored by Attorney General Bonta and signed into law in July 2022, creates a pathway for Californians who have been harmed by gun violence to hold the appropriate parties — including gun manufacturers and distributors — accountable.

Attorney General Bonta joins the attorneys general of Illinois, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington in filing this amicus brief.

A copy of the brief can be found here.

Themumfordman

Master
    Very wrong on that, plenty of FL LE will harass the hell out of you if your accidently exposed your firearm. In fact, it has happened repeatedly.
    I guess partly that depends on your area. Up here in Florabama and specifically Santa Rosa county, our sheriffs are pretty freaking awesome and very realistic. A buddy of mine had an incident where he had to draw to dissuade a would-be domestic violence situation and all the cops cared about was catching the perp.

That said, I appreciate your emphasis and mission, but I do wonder if picking fights with people on a 2A forum who are largely (specifically in my case) on your side about this issue is a wise effort.

Miami_JBT

Expert
    I guess partly that depends on your area. Up here in Florabama and specifically Santa Rosa county, our sheriffs are pretty freaking awesome and very realistic. A buddy of mine had an incident where he had to draw to dissuade a would-be domestic violence situation and all the cops cared about was catching the perp.

That said, I appreciate your emphasis and mission, but I do wonder if picking fights with people on a 2A forum who are largely (specifically in my case) on your side about this issue is a wise effort.
    You have a case right now in your area where someone is be tried criminally for openly carrying. All because someone decided to exercise their First Amendment rights.

The Panhandle isn't as pro-gun as you think.

Themumfordman

Master
    You have a case right now in your area where someone is be tried criminally for openly carrying. All because someone decided to exercise their First Amendment rights.

Again, my point. Open carry isn’t legal, and the full scope of the second amendment should apply everywhere. I didn’t say it WAS legal up here nor that any part of this state has it all correct. My point is your preaching to the choir and picking fights with allies unnecessarily. I’m a GOA, USCCA and FPC member as are many others here. I’d highly recommend keeping the animosity against each other to a minimum.

DustyDog

Master

Yep... a couple of years ago, when I mentioned at a LGS (in Marianna) the need for the restrictions on open carry to be removed, the guy behind the counter said "Well, if you know the Sheriff, he's not going to bother you." (if you open carry)

Well, I don't "know the Sheriff", so... again: gray areas. What if I "know the Sheriff", but he forgets who I am???

SHOULDN'T MATTER.

Miami_JBT

Expert
    Again, my point. Open carry isn’t legal, and the full scope of the second amendment should apply everywhere. I didn’t say it WAS legal up here nor that any part of this state has it all correct. My point is your preaching to the choir and picking fights with allies unnecessarily. I’m a GOA, USCCA and FPC member as are many others here. I’d highly recommend keeping the animosity against each other to a minimum.
    I'm not picking fights, I'm simply stating facts.

Last edited:

Shootist

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Very wrong on that, plenty of FL LE will harass the hell out of you if your accidently exposed your firearm. In fact, it has happened repeatedly.
    Agreed, never underestimate the ability of a LEO to be a totally tyrannical humongous a...hole when a situation presents itself.

Shootist

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    I support open carry but not because I would open carry, maybe from the porch to the mailbox and back.
    But because depending on how far a LEO wants to push a complaint of someone seeing a "Gun".
    I know in the early days of CCW in TN a few people got charged with "brandishing" because someone complained
    about seeing someone's gun while a normal activity was occurring, like reaching for something on the top shelf in a store and the cover garment rode up and exposed the gun.
    It would just eliminate that kind of hassle.

Miami_JBT

Expert
    I support open carry but not because I would open carry, maybe from the porch to the mailbox and back.
    But because depending on how far a LEO wants to push a complaint of someone seeing a "Gun".
    I know in the early days of CCW in TN a few people got charged with "brandishing" because someone complained
    about seeing someone's gun while a normal activity was occurring, like reaching for something on the top shelf in a store and the cover garment rode up and exposed the gun.
    It would just eliminate that kind of hassle.
    Exactly

epointer

Marksman
    This has been my experience in Escambia as well...

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Open carry is just not a hot button issue for most folks.

If Nikki Fried adds open carry to her platform when she runs for Governor again, would that make you vote for her?

Themumfordman

Master

If Nikki Fried adds open carry to her platform when she runs for Governor again, would that make you vote for her?

Just open carry no (for me at least), but if a candidate legitimately campaigned on full constitutional carry as well as supporting the rest of the US constitution, I would be super ready to listen. I think open carry is part of the equation from a fundamental rights standpoint, but I want most someone to fight for ALL of our rights and make Florida a truly free state more along the lines of Idaho, Indiana and others.

mrjenkins

Expert

I care quite alot about open carry. I want options. So yes. Someone willing to do that would win my vote, depending on their other policies.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    I care quite alot about open carry. I want options. So yes. Someone willing to do that would win my vote, depending on their other policies.

The question was if Ms. Fried kept all of her 2022 positions but added open carry, would you vote for her as Governor in 2026?

It is a hard no for me on this one.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    I 100% support letting the politicians know what you do or don't support.

But come election day the choices are the choices, none are likely to be perfect.

Ron has been a lot more good than bad.

The recent state park shivaree was unhelpful to his cause when he runs for future office and will do more political harm than not bird dogging open carry.

Themumfordman

Master
    Generally (as politicians go) I do like Ron as well. I think overall he’s done more good than harm for the state and certainly better than Comrade Inslee where I came from or complete dip-shits like Newsome (not a high bar to beat).

That said, DiSantis was VERY not impressive in the presidential primary, and certainly wasn’t my first choice for president. He’s okay as governor, but long term I’d like to see someone less into sound bites and more gut-level on the issues.

I really hope that we can create enough social shakeup and dissatisfaction with the leftist takeover we’ve been living through that the next generation of Republican governors and leaders lean back in to the fundamentals of what it means to be a republic of free people.

Top Bottom