• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joekocon

Marksman
    Recently I had a discussion with a young man. He declared that (he was told) that FLORIDA is now an "OPEN CARRY" state! I expressed my concerns that: You better be absolutely sure you know what you're talking about before you take a chance on being arrested.

A couple years back I had a very cordial conversation with a Highway Patrol Officer about concealed weapons in a car. He said he was fully briefed on the rules / law BUT he said that NOT ALL LEOs are FULLY UNDERSTANDING of them. HE ADVISED, never argue with an officer and comply. If the officer was later found to be in error, EVERYTHING will be made RIGHT!

Ans so it goes.......Any experts out there? I'm listening!

Little Jack

Master
    Last edited:

fv22

Master
    I think the young man you spoke to should try it out for a week or two. Then we'll all know the correct answer for sure!

B52

Master
    This guy explains the FL 790 statute very well. He is also much more knowledgeable about the law than most cops.
    In short open carry is legal in FL (if the cops know their job) if you are hunting, fishing or camping and going to from those activities. He has been doing this for about four years.

Armed Fisherman

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    This guy explains the FL 790 statute very well. He is also much more knowledgeable about the law than most cops.
    In short open carry is legal in FL (if the cops know their job) if you are hunting, fishing or camping and going to from those activities. He has been doing this for about four years.

Armed Fisherman

Unfortunately his case with N. Miami Beach PD (I think that's who it was) got dismissed.

Guy is always polite, tries to respectfully educate the officers WITH SPECIFIC STATUTORY LANGUAGE AND NUMBER, yet cops still screw the pooch.

If I were taking action, and the situation allowed, and a citizen was quoting statutes to me, I'd open my book and we would read it together... I actually cited a person in connection with a crash for a Right-of-way violation and they called me out on it... I opened my statute book and we read it together.

I've also done this before concerning unlawful carry and another Right-of-way issue.

IF and WHEN the situation allows, doing this is a great way to earn respect and really takes the wind out of pissed off people's sails when they are insisting you're wrong...

Themumfordman

Master
    If our legislators had done what we asked, then open carry would be legal already. They did succumb to some pressure from the citizens and the governors office and give us “permitless carry,” but not the Constitutional carry we demanded. That would have opened up all options including open.

I 100% agree that open isn’t tactically the best most of the time, but there are times it would be really nice to hop out and pump gas without throwing on an overshirt or jacket or having to adjust your piece. While I highly doubt any LEO would give you grief for flashing some iron while pumping gas, I don’t want to be the test pilot for that particular flight.

DustyDog

Master
    I think open carry is a strategical disadvantage and scars the crap out of some people when they see it. What's the point of that? That is not the hill to die on. IMO
    I wonder why cops do it?

Maybe if I wear "Special Cop Pants", it will become a strategical advantage and no longer scare people?

Themumfordman

Master
    I lived in Washington state for 30 years, during all of which time open carry was legal (still is). I lived in the country, and I can think of maybe twice I ever saw someone carrying open.

For me it’s not about the likelihood that I or anyone else really ever would, it’s the principle of what “shall not be infringed” really means. We keep letting the leftists redefine our rights and we will lose them altogether, no matter how red the state looks on the political map.

DustyDog

Master
    Sorry, but I will never understand the

"If I carry concealed, then, when someone attacks me because I appeared to be unarmed, I can extract this two-finger panty-pistol that my balls have been sweating on all day from under two layers of clothing and... "

mentality :)

DustyDog

Master
    Cops don't do it when it's cold out.
    Nor would I put my gun-belt on the outside of a trenchcoat... but I don't wear a trenchcoat when the heat index is 110, primarily because I can pour sweat at 65 degrees with moderate exertion :)

Top Bottom