New Blog: Red Dots vs. Iron Sights: Which Is Better for Handguns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Fortunately, I am not at the point at which I can't see (clearly) my iron sights, but I recognize someday I may be.
    For a carry gun, I believe minimal and simple is the way to go, and if something can go wrong, it may/will go wrong. Therefore, I can't see going RDS on my SD carry piece. I am willing to listen, learn and try new things.
    Dirt, lint, condensation......these don't seem to affect iron sights like they can a RDS.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Horseshit . I'm an old Bullseye shooter & National Match record high score was shot with iron sights not a red dot . Learn solid execution of basic fundamentals of which trigger control is # 1 . For a paper puncher & older eyes OK , but not for serious bet the farm social work . For a SD gun & old eyes me likey Big Dot sights . All my bump in the night gear sports 'em . Mid 70's w/ health issues so my solution might not work for you .

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    Horseshit . I'm an old Bullseye shooter & National Match record high score was shot with iron sights not a red dot . Learn solid execution of basic fundamentals of which trigger control is # 1 . For a paper puncher & older eyes OK , but not for serious bet the farm social work . For a SD gun & old eyes me likey Big Dot sights . All my bump in the night gear sports 'em . Mid 70's w/ health issues so my solution might not work for you .
    You still drive a manual trans truck with manual windows and locks? Probably using a '96 model Dell computer too?

Baddog 0302

Master
    You still drive a manual trans truck with manual windows and locks? Probably using a '96 model Dell computer too?
    Well , my advise to him is that is the case , and he ever has to retire the all manual truck is that he look at the earliest model that meets his needs . I had a serious brain fart and ended up with a 2024 Nissan SUV. Can't hardly touch anything without having to go through several unwanted features because some programmer put a bunch of unwanted crap into the car's computer.As soon as I find a used 2010 (+-) the POS Nissan will be for sale.
    On another note, since I can't get rid of the data mining pop up when I go to log in , I'll probably limit my visits here to once , maybe twice a week.

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    Quite a few people carry a knife ,they were around a tad before trucks i believe and are a few levels above rocks for personal defense . I practice with my 2 snubskis for CC using the front sight only like a red dot ,put it on low center mass and detonate twice at bad breath range after quick draw . A laser has no use imho on 1.8 and 2.5 barrels at that range .....as i said depends on weapon and use

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Quite a few people carry a knife ,they were around a tad before trucks i believe and are a few levels above rocks for personal defense . I practice with my 2 snubskis for CC using the front sight only like a red dot ,put it on low center mass and detonate twice at bad breath range after quick draw . A laser has no use imho on 1.8 and 2.5 barrels at that range .....as i said depends on weapon and use
    Laser for small critters is handy with can. Dot on, snap trigger. Night ops.20240724_190649.jpg

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    well said ......me a 71 year old CC revolver carrying fudd using my MARK 1 eye ball using just the front sight quick draw at VERY short range

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    Actually no I don't . Learned how to shoot w/o training wheels that's all . BTW do YOU shoot Master level scores in ANY discipline ?
    Maybe, and for reference, I learned on iron sights as well.
    I was being mostly sarcastic in my initial response as I try to be proficient with both modes of optics.
    Y'all are wound tight and it's just Weds...

Top Bottom