New Blog: Red Dots vs. Iron Sights: Which Is Better for Handguns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Total honesty here….

I’m relatively new to the RDS scene only having used them in the past two years strictly for hunting.

As a consultant with my agency for all things that go bang, along with tactical stuff, I was against the switch to RDS equipped pistols for road patrol knowing the learning curve involved along with the necessity to practice routinely to maintain proficiency.

Well… we switched anyway. If given the choice I’d have stuck with irons KNOWING FULL WELL that if I put in the time I’d reap the benefits of an RDS equipped pistol. Why? Because I’m stubborn and feel quite capable out to 50 yards with a pistol. It that’s an individual analysis and not a categorical one.

With that said, an RDS equipped pistol provides way more in the realm of a precision aiming solution and that simply can’t be denied.

In my classes I’ve demonstrated the principles of combat shooting, aka utility shooting, and is sure as hell is way different that any target or bullseye shooting. Bullseye targets don’t shoot back.

As plenty of folks here know, I’ve trained with some of the best in the business, guys who cut their teeth during GWOT, guys who collectively have over 1k Direct Action Hits spanning twenty years… and when they say when it comes to RDS equipped pistols the juice is most definitely worth the squeeze… might want to listen if you’re serious about betting the farm on a shooting.

The last time I hosted a Tier 1 Operator at my range, a guy with over 700 Direct Action Hits alone, my hit ratio was noticeably up using my RDS equipped pistol from previous classes when I ran irons (because I was a hard head). This was during dynamic shooting on the move drills… you know, real world stuff, not casual gentleman sports shooting for points and bragging rights.

If you’re willing to reprogram your shooting to accommodate the RDS pistol, you will most certainly see gains… how much gain is totally dependent upon the shooter.

I regret being closed minded for all these years…

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Hell, it's at the point I need the optic, getting my target eye whittled on in December. Gotten to the point I can see the sights or the target. All my scopes look like they have leaks in the tubes and crap got in em. Unless the optic is green it looks like a Nike swoop. I should have bought that extended warranty!

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    I'd like to try a RDS, but I just don't know what brand.

Seems like a great excuse to buy a new pistol set up optics ready cut

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    Holosun is typically my go to, mainly for price point but also performance. I've used quite a few on pistols and rifles and yet to have a major issue.
    I also use Trijicon RMR and SRO, preferring the 1 moa SRO too.
    I recently picked up a Gideon optics to try out for a much cheaper option(sub $200) and has been running great as well.
    Sample size of one though...

joraca

Expert
    I am an old bullseye shooter. I drove to Houston and back last weekend in my manual transmission Jeep. In good light, I don't find much difference in benchrest accuracy between my RDS and iron sighted target .22s. On the other hand, I didn't learn to shoot a 1911 well by hand until I put an RDS on one so I could see what was happening when I pressed the trigger during dry fire.

Last edited:

ABlaster

Marksman
    I am an old bullseye shooter. I drove to Houston and back last weekend in my manual transmission Jeep. In good light, I don't find much difference in benchrest accuracy between my RDS and iron sighted target .22s. On the other hand, I didn't learn to shoot a 1911 well by hand until I put an RDS on one so I could see what was happening when I pressed the trigger during dry fire.
    My experience has been RDS are not going to improve slow fire accuracy by much. The advantage comes during fast target transitions.

You’re spot on with it showing what a handgun is really doing when most folks are thinking their dry fire is solid. That dot will show the truth!

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    Hell, it's at the point I need the optic, getting my target eye whittled on in December. Gotten to the point I can see the sights or the target. All my scopes look like they have leaks in the tubes and crap got in em. Unless the optic is green it looks like a Nike swoop. I should have bought that extended warranty!
    cataract ?

boatbum101

Marksman
    FWIW got no problem w / RDS . All my BE guns have either an Ultradot or Aimpoint , as do my hunting revolvers . For precision shooting & older eyes they are a blessing . For CMP / DR open sights a Merit Adj aperature helps . If you're blessed w/ a good eye doc & have the $ a dedicated pr of shooting glasses cut to your focal length is money well spent .
    As far as a RDS on a defensive handgun I have my doubts , but admit I'm intrigued . I could see use on a holstered full-sized duty weapon or perhaps even a bedside gun . Extremely interested in gear & setups that the current pros are willing to bet their farm on .
    All that said I'm a firm believer in simplicity , especially for social encounters . For the avg joe , with the avg CCW weapon I'm of the opine it'd get in the way . For those who train , anything can be incorporated into your routine .

Shootist

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    For my rifles I use red dots or scopes, I also have sighted in BUIS and quick release mounts.
    I've been playing with RDS on a few range pistols.

On a CCW, I still just have an inherent distrust of depending on a battery or electronics, Murphey's Law and all.
    Having spent 40plus years in Corporate IT and Data Centers working on hardware, electronics fail at the worst times.

For many, many years, I was only a fan of iron sights. In the past few years, I have found a place for red dots on many of my pistols. I do make sure that, if possible, I can co-witness the iron sights through the optic. If the red dot dies for some reason, I will still be able to use irons. Red dots, with a good amount of practice, can help the shooter acquisition the target quicker. Of course, in a close quarter gun fight, you are most likely going to be point shooting, but the red dot can get you close to target in a hurry.

FrommerStop

Master
    It depends. I have guns that only have a groove on the slide and these adequate and mandatory for what their intended purpose. A contact shot or at someone's face at bad breath distances does not require sights. Also use from a pocket, optics as they are now is not a good fit for me.
    Even without sights using meat on the metal I can hit a pepper popper at 7 yards in its head area. With a .380 the only hits to take the heavy steel target were multiple hits in the head area since it was calibrated for 9s and 45s.
    Due to my eyes for aimed fire i prefer the holosum green dots sights. When I was younger it was not mandatory, but now it is. Most of the bullseye pistol shooters that I have known use red dots or other optics. Even with my cataracts the dots are better. Iron sights for precision work even if your eyes are good can give variable results in accordance to lighting conditions. The light being stronger on one side of the front sight versus the other side can alter where you are actually aiming your gun.
    Guns below are not suitable for an optic. By the way the baby browning if you use the rudimentary sights is an accurate gun. You can hit the forehead of a human at 50' with young eyes. True it might bounce off if there is an angle.
    1725063223828.png

1725063173464.png

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    It depends. I have guns that only have a groove on the slide and these adequate and mandatory for what their intended purpose. A contact shot or at someone's face at bad breath distances does not require sights. Also use from a pocket, optics as they are now is not a good fit for me.
    Even without sights using meat on the metal I can hit a pepper popper at 7 yards in its head area. With a .380 the only hits to take the heavy steel target were multiple hits in the head area since it was calibrated for 9s and 45s.
    Due to my eyes for aimed fire i prefer the holosum green dots sights. When I was younger it was not mandatory, but now it is. Most of the bullseye pistol shooters that I have known use red dots or other optics. Even with my cataracts the dots are better. Iron sights for precision work even if your eyes are good can give variable results in accordance to lighting conditions. The light being stronger on one side of the front sight versus the other side can alter where you are actually aiming your gun.
    Guns below are not suitable for an optic. By the way the baby browning if you use the rudimentary sights is an accurate gun. You can hit the forehead of a human at 50' with young eyes. True it might bounce off if there is an angle.
    View attachment 501354

View attachment 501353
    old fudd here and a center mass fan unless the head is the only thing unarmored and hittable lol

Top Bottom