Anybody still shooting 38 S&W, not Special.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Get bored on the ship and often read about guns and calibers.
    Been reading about the old 38 S&W. Strange that it's gone, no new production guns in 50? Years. Is it that bad of a caliber? Looks ok to me on paper.
    I did notice no hp bullets around. Probably because it's a slow mover about 600 fps. Shoots a 200gr wadcutter pretty well seems like. Penatrates well too.
    Seems like it's on par with 380.

Some good reading.

Rockola2004

Old Soul Gun Enthusiast
    GCGF Supporter
    Been reading about the old 38 S&W. Strange that it's gone, no new production guns in 50? Years. Is it that bad of a caliber? Looks ok to me on paper.
    I did notice no hp bullets around. Probably because it's a slow mover about 600 fps. Shoots a 200gr wadcutter pretty well seems like. Penatrates well too.

Some good reading.

I sometimes carry my late mother’s old Iver Johnson snubbie in 38 s&w. I’ve only fired it a few times. Not very accurate of course but it’s dependable within 10-15 yards. And, a friend gave me a bunch of ammo for it a while back that he mistakenly got for 38 special so that was a plus.

Eagle Eye

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter

Some good reading.

Yes it's alive here , inside my man cave - The military WWII ones shoot the 200 gr
    bullets . I have both the auto eject and Usa made Brit one . Mine shoots 148 soft lead double wad cutters , with a very light Smokeless load . Certain stamps delineate the black powder from the smokeless powder . Warnings abound about the difference in them.. Speaking of which I just went through my on hand .38 S&W brass .

Patriot1776

Shooter
    Here my .38 smith & wesson, made my us revolver co. Picked up for $125 from the pawn shop 8 or 9 years ago. She little old now but still does here job. As you can see she a little rusty lol. Sweet shooter kicks like 22magnum in my opinion. Thought I was only one that still shot. 38 s&w.

Attachments

• received_524666740045176.jpeg
      received_524666740045176.jpeg
      56.4 KB · Views: 13

Patriot1776

Shooter
    Was thinking a 9mm bullet might work in the old 38? A way to get a hp bullet, but they may not open due to the lower speed.
    In lieu of that a wadcutter would work. My father used wad cutters to hunt deer with a 44 black hawk and it wrecked them.
    If you can get some lead .38 s&w rounds, you could probably make some hollow points out those bullets maybe. All I have used is lead nose .38 s&w rounds never had wadcutters be interesting to see if there were any difference.

rossi

Master

Some good reading.

200gr Lead Bullet @ 600 FPS......OUCH!

Eagle Eye

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    Was thinking a 9mm bullet might work in the old 38? A way to get a hp bullet, but they may not open due to the lower speed.
    In lieu of that a wadcutter would work. My father used wad cutters to hunt deer with a 44 black hawk and it wrecked them.
    I think the diameter of the 38 S&W is .360 - The 9mm is .355 , shouldn't work or fit as it's somewhat smaller in diameter . It would rattle around in chamber / forcing cone and the
    L&G's .

Eagle Eye

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    I think I’ve got an old 38 S&W stashed somewhere, will have to look for it…
    You sound just like me , as I have them in different places here . On top of that I found a few I had forgotten about even buying years ago

Eagle Eye

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    From my reading the really old ones use black powder. If attacked you can pop smoke and run!
    That is correct , especially back in the 30's . I have a few , and the age usually indicates
    the construction of the gun , light duty and such . Although B.P. is not even close to being
    stable , as smokeless is much safer . All situations considered

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    That is correct , especially back in the 30's . I have a few , and the age usually indicates
    the construction of the gun , light duty and such . Although B.P. is not even close to being
    stable , as smokeless is much safer . All situations considered
    Wooo. There's alot going on with these older guns, Re, black powder vs modern powder. Now seeing possible issue with air space in the cartridge causing problems as well. FFFG black powder might be the best route or maybe the modern fffg powder. Looks like lots of reading is required.

.22 cents

Master
    I enjoy the old stuff. Looking at a 32 sw revolver, top break, hammerless. I really like the top break stuff. Don't know why they still don't make em. The old S&W some had a grip safety, pretty cool.
    Im guessing break opens dont have the strength and structural rigidity to handle the +p or magnum loads today as solid frames with top straps. Even then, companies like S&W “waaaaa .357 too strong. It break our guns” Break opens have little chance

Top Bottom