• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GallupsPB

Shooter
    Gentlemen,

Have any of you guys ever flown with a firearm? I am flying delta to Kentucky and would love to take my EDC. Can’t really bare the thought of being in another state with my wife and not having my EDC with me. Any tips would be appreciated!

ABlaster

Marksman
    Remember that airlines can have stricter rules than TSA, too.

My experience has been the locked case is the failure point most of the time. If the case can be opened at all while locked it will most likely be rejected. Some cases aren’t super sturdy and the plastic can be flexed enough for them to get a finger into, or the locks aren’t tight enough to the case and the lid can be opened to the limit of the hasp.

Recondo 101

Expert
    I have flown all over the world and US with SKM reinforced security cases. These are the same cases used by US Military operators to transport their weapons and equipment, rounded reinforced corners, covered hinges, security locks, water proof with rubber gaskets. The handgun version has two locks, fits into a suitcase and is put in checked baggage inside your suitcase. You declare the firearm at the ticket counter, inside your suitcase, they take you aside, check to make sure the firearm is unloaded, put a X-Ray card in the gun case, that scans as a firearm that has been checked. Then the firearm, in the luggage, goes into a secure area, you only get it back upon arrival at destination or if ctossing an international border, for a security check at the first airport you land at. You will be called on the intercom for the security check, to come open your gun case. You are the only person that has the keys to the gun case.
    My four gun rifle case has five locks, wheels, a spring loaded steel handle on one end, and a moulded in handle on the side. Ammo goes in hard sided cases , MTM style, in the checked baggage, cleaning materials, solvents, etc can go in the gun cases.

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Check with the airlines first.

Welldoya

Master
    I flew to Alaska with a Glock 20 last August.
    I looked at all the cases, Pelican etc and found the best deal at Harbor Freight. Their Apache cases are a bargain. Most other brands were $50+ and were too big.
    I paid $11 for the smallest Apache and the Glock and a 20 round box of ammo fit perfectly.
    Get locks that are not TSA approved because after you check it, nobody should be opening it.
    I just put the case in my suitcase and told the lady at the counter I would like to check a firearm. She asked me to open the suitcase and firearm case and asked if it was loaded. I filled out a short questionnaire and put it in the case. I then closed it up and she took the suitcase.
    In Alaska I picked it up off the treadmill.
    The return home was the same. No hassle and I wasn’t taken aside.

Reactions: FLT
    Top Bottom