DK Firearms

Metal or Plastic Magazines, is there really any difference?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I like Pmags and use them regularly but I don’t thing long term pmags is the answer. For long term I have aluminum mags. I also have a few steel mags.

At this point in history plan on your purchase of mags being the last you may be able to buy. The winds of politics is blowing against us.
    Yeah, I've been ordering more than a few and buying local when I see em at a decent price. Im starting to get the stinkeye from my normally understanding Bride.. Need more AR x39 mags. Don't really ever see a "deal" on those though.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Just when you thought everyone that wanted to make a polymer magazine has, the eponymous Wilson Combat comes out with a multi-caliber AR mag. Wilson claims it will perfectly feed all ammo it was designed for, .223/5.56, .300BO, .300hmmr.

Last edited:

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Just when you thought everyone that wanted to make a polymer magazine has, Wilson Combat comes out with a multi-caliber AR mag. Wilson claims it will perfectly feed and ammo it was designed for, .223/5.56, .300BO, .300hmmr.

Honestly surprised it took them this long.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Buy all you can, metal or plastic. They may not be around in their standard capacity configuration much longer.

Smfranke

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Kind of disappointed in Duramag though as a company. Found out their VP of sales is a huge BLM supporter.
    This BLM stuff is helping me save money. Haven't taken my boys to a fast food place in a long time. Don't play subscription video games with them anymore either. Ex wife knows to not ask me to help pay for Nike. It's hard to avoid companies that endorse that group though.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    This BLM stuff is helping me save money. Haven't taken my boys to a fast food place in a long time. Don't play subscription video games with them anymore either. Ex wife knows to not ask me to help pay for Nike. It's hard to avoid companies that endorse that group though.
    I think a lot of people are trying to save face and support them to keep business. It's hard to boycott everyone. I've been doing my part. 70% worth, anyway.

m4a1sof

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Get the best of both worlds, Lancers. Metal feed lips and plastic body. They come in many different colors so you can color code different calibers and you can also get them in translucent bodies so you can see at a glance how many rounds you have left. I really like them, I sold all my other mags and only use Lancers now.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    That’s a great price on IMO one of the best aluminum mags.

I personally prefer Magpul polymer for general use and have used them over 10 years and 10s of thousands of rounds without much issue.

That said I also like the extreme durability of HK maritime steel mags, and their cheaper FN SCAR counterpart.
    Those are plastic.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Academy has plenty of the MFT 30 rd mags for about $11.00 I bought some back when they had them on sale for $8.00 and have had zero problems with them. They are good for stacking deep for a rainy day!

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Duramag / c products in stainless steel. Best and smoothest anti tilt / follower. Use them exclusively in all AR platforms and still waiting for a hiccup. I sell over 3000 of them a year and is all I will put a guarantee on with any of weapons. Very pricey but lifetime investment the way I see it. Don't even own plastics any more.

Misfeed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I've had multiple Magpuls fail in the last year. Cracking at the feed lips is the most common issue I've seen with them. They were older mags but its enough of a concern to drive me back to metal mags.
    An issue with the Surefeeds is they didnt cut the front shelf low like the old ones, I noticed two shallow troughs being worn into the mags after only a couple cyclings.
    Stay away from 2A mags, I have personally watched one gut itself on a truck seat during the summer and another warp to the point it wedged in the gun.
    Okay, Colt, FN and HK are good to go. (With Tan or Magpul followers)
    My 2 cents

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like metal. Had some Magpuls that wouldn't seat on a closed bolt when loaded with 30. 29 was fine but F that I didn't buy a 29 round mag. Traded them for aluminum and SS and now that's all I'll buy for the 15. I still have a dozen or so Magpuls for the 10 and haven't had any issues in either rifle but I still bought SS mags the last time and will probably continue to do so.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    For my AR15s, I like the pmags and really like the window version. But I've had magwells where pmags and other plastic mags wouldn't drop free. But im not doing competition or going to war.

I don't have many metal ar mags, but I do like c products defence/dura mags for my ar47s.

My AK mags are a mix of plastic brands and metal brands. Seems like I remember some fed smother than others. Could have been follower issues.

For my AR10s I was using the window pmags exclusively. But I recently bought some hex mags only to find they don't drop free. But I haven't even had a chance to try them at the range yet.

My stainless pistol mags have given me no issues but occasional maintenance. My glock mags have been pretty dependable. I tried the translucent ets mags, but they gave me feeding issues, same with some promags. I've broken or worn feed lips on some plastic pistol mags. So for pistol, its steel mags or steel lipped if available.

I wanted to ask the forum about long term storage of ammo in pmags. Is it a bad idea to keep them loaded for longterm storage? I prefer to load them up. Are people having issues when they do this?

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    For my AR15s, I like the pmags and really like the window version. But I've had magwells where pmags and other plastic mags wouldn't drop free. But im not doing competition or going to war.

I don't have many metal ar mags, but I do like c products defence/dura mags for my ar47s.

My AK mags are a mix of plastic brands and metal brands. Seems like I remember some fed smother than others. Could have been follower issues.

For my AR10s I was using the window pmags exclusively. But I recently bought some hex mags only to find they don't drop free. But I haven't even had a chance to try them at the range yet.

My stainless pistol mags have given me no issues but occasional maintenance. My glock mags have been pretty dependable. I tried the translucent ets mags, but they gave me feeding issues, same with some promags. I've broken or worn feed lips on some plastic pistol mags. So for pistol, its steel mags or steel lipped if available.

I wanted to ask the forum about long term storage of ammo in pmags. Is it a bad idea to keep them loaded for longterm storage? I prefer to load them up. Are people having issues when they do this?
    Those caps that come with the mags everyone tosses are there for a reason- load the mags, then snap the caps on, takes the pressure off the lips.

Top Bottom