Patriot Mobile

Metal or Plastic Magazines, is there really any difference?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Metal Storm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Thinking about purchasing more AR mags, just in case. Prices appear to be very favorable. I have always gone with metal but in the long run, is there any real difference between plastic and metal magazines? Any company or style or whatever to stay away from? Many Thanks,

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    One is made of plastics and one is made of metal.

I would say the metal ones are more environmentally friendly.

I have all metal 5.56 and all plastic for 300 blk. Easy to keep them separated.

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    As far as brands go, I basically only consider PMAG and Surefeed to be completely reliable. There are a couple other brands of Aluminum USGI mags I am good with as well, but I cannot remember the name. One of them makes the PSA branded mags... All these mags are so inexpensive, I won't go with others, myself.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Last year I was training with Bob Keller. On the first morning, very first drill, I loaded 30 rounds into a P-Mag (Foliage in like new condition), inserted the mag into my rifle, sent the bolt forward, and the sound told me right away something was FUBAR.

I looked down and had a misfeed, I dropped the mag, and discovered the fed lip on one side had been sheered off.

From that day forward, I've not acquired any more P-Mags and unless free or near-free, have no intentions of doing so.

With that said, I highly prefer and have always recommended USGI type aluminum magazines. Anyone who has been to one of my classes most likely can verify that. It's not that I hate P-Mags per se, it's just I see more issues with them than USGI aluminum ones.

Now, before anyone dog piles me, hear this...

- I know MagPul dropped certain colors as the dye used in making colored polymer items compromises the material's strength. Foliage was dropped partially for this reason.
    - I know the USMC uses P-Mags, what do you expect, the founder-owner and current/maybe former Director of Precision Rifle training at MagPul are Marines.
    - I realize TONS of people use P-Mags with little to no issues.
    - I know aluminum magazine feed lips can crack, but when they do the mags are as old as dirt.
    - I still have and use P-Mags and have two 4-mag bailout bags hanging on the passenger seat of my patrol vehicle stuffed with duty ammo.
    - I'm well aware aluminum magazines tend to "bottom out" more with 30 rounds vs. P-Mags making inserting a fully loaded magazine into the rifle with the bolt forward more difficult.

So... if you laid two magazines down on a table and told me to pick one, I'd go with the aluminum one without hesitation.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Love these.... they also have the dimples for grip. 100's of rounds. No issues. D&H are good too. Don't get me wrong I have piles of pmags. But my shtf pouch has e2's.

Attachments

• 20210318_142643.jpg
      20210318_142643.jpg
      3.5 MB · Views: 146
    Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    who's Bob Keller?

Robert "Bob" Keller runs Gamut Resolutions training and owner of Range Werx in south Florida.

He's a 20+ year Spec Ops guy with a Delta and SOCOM background. Spent all his time as an Operator with hundreds of direct hit missions under his belt.

Hands down the most direct, honest, non-BS gun fighting instructor I've had the pleasure to train with. I have had him at my place half dozen times or so.

What You Need To Face A Threat - YouTube

Listen to this carefully, at the beginning and again at about 12:00, when he talks about the sales aspect of filling training classes. I really like his attitude and training philosophy when it comes to what works.

Profiles of Courage: Robert Keller - YouTube

I've instituted a lot of his teachings in SWAT training and the VERY FIRST words out of a team members mouth after a shooting was three simple words... "that shit works"... he was referring to drills we have run at training... can't get a better endorsement than that.

I highly encourage folks serious about training to seek out one of his classes. His on-range personality is much more high-energy than what you see in the videos.

Last edited:

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Love these.... they also have the dimples for grip. 100's of rounds. No issues. D&H are good too.

Wasn't Okay Industries one of the original GI mag manufacturers?

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Thank you Bow! Trying to schedule logistics so we can drive down for his Nov pistol class

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    I know on the AK side, I prefer poly mags. Dont personally know anyone who's had issues with their poly AR mags.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Last year I was training with Bob Keller. On the first morning, very first drill, I loaded 30 rounds into a P-Mag (Foliage in like new condition), inserted the mag into my rifle, sent the bolt forward, and the sound told me right away something was FUBAR.

I looked down and had a misfeed, I dropped the mag, and discovered the fed lip on one side had been sheered off.

From that day forward, I've not acquired any more P-Mags and unless free or near-free, have no intentions of doing so.

With that said, I highly prefer and have always recommended USGI type aluminum magazines. Anyone who has been to one of my classes most likely can verify that. It's not that I hate P-Mags per se, it's just I see more issues with them than USGI aluminum ones.

Now, before anyone dog piles me, hear this...

- I know MagPul dropped certain colors as the dye used in making colored polymer items compromises the material's strength. Foliage was dropped partially for this reason.
    - I know the USMC uses P-Mags, what do you expect, the founder-owner and current/maybe former Director of Precision Rifle training at MagPul are Marines.
    - I realize TONS of people use P-Mags with little to no issues.
    - I know aluminum magazine feed lips can crack, but when they do the mags are as old as dirt.
    - I still have and use P-Mags and have two 4-mag bailout bags hanging on the passenger seat of my patrol vehicle stuffed with duty ammo.
    - I'm well aware aluminum magazines tend to "bottom out" more with 30 rounds vs. P-Mags making inserting a fully loaded magazine into the rifle with the bolt forward more difficult.

So... if you laid two magazines down on a table and told me to pick one, I'd go with the aluminum one without hesitation.
    Damn straight. I've had a feed lip sheer off, too. Even before that, though, I preferred metal just because it's what I was issued and trained with, and all my favorite mag pouches held more mags with metal mags versus bulkier plastic mags. Some of my favorite pouches are sold surplus now, and I can't even get them to fasten close with just one plastic fantastic in it, because of the extra width at the bottom of the mag

Last edited:

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like Pmags and use them regularly but I don’t thing long term pmags is the answer. For long term I have aluminum mags. I also have a few steel mags.

At this point in history plan on your purchase of mags being the last you may be able to buy. The winds of politics is blowing against us.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    That’s a great price on IMO one of the best aluminum mags.

I personally prefer Magpul polymer for general use and have used them over 10 years and 10s of thousands of rounds without much issue.

That said I also like the extreme durability of HK maritime steel mags, and their cheaper FN SCAR counterpart.
    Good price, but Botach can be a bit spotty on shipping.

I've gone almost all metal mags. Polymer AR mags - for me it's Lancer or nothing, due to them having metal reinforced feed lips.

Top Bottom