• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    spent the weekend grinding up some deer burger meat and ive decided the kitchen aide attachment grinder will no longer cut it. i have 2 deer and 2 pigs in the freezer i need to process and a bass pro credit card burning a hole in my wallet. anyone out there have any experience with the cabela line of meat grinders? i am eying the carnivore 1/2 hp but would welcome any reccomendations.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes. I had an old 1/2 HP (unknown brand) one that give up on me last year on my last deer. I bought this one around Christmas and ground 3 and its pretty quiet but really fast.

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    so when it happens y'all gonna have time to grind stuff up Im kind figuring it'll be like it was when my dad was growing up in the 20s and 30s even up till the 70s all the squirrels and deer all gone 6 or 8 men might kill 1 or 2 deer with dogs that will be about a month after the stores shut down
    there's a reason you should know how to eat possum and coon

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    so when it happens y'all gonna have time to grind stuff up Im kind figuring it'll be like it was when my dad was growing up in the 20s and 30s even up till the 70s all the squirrels and deer all gone 6 or 8 men might kill 1 or 2 deer with dogs that will be about a month after the stores shut down
    I can't recall ever grinding either possum or coon into sausage. Usually they are small enough to roast on a spit, and neither have enough fat or flavor to bother with in a sausage recipe. JMHO YMMV. Now adding Bear Fat to most wild game sausage intensives the experience, but if you fry the sausage in lard, Oleo, or bacon grease you can add flavor to most stringy fat lacking wild game critters. If available duck or goose fat works the same way but adds a much different taste. Now if you like a gamey flavor? Try using Wild Boar Fatback. Guarantee that you taste the difference. LOL. Way back when, folks on a budget used to use Old hard bread to add to the sausage. It would feed a few folks more and didn't add much to the price. Kinda like stuffing, but I prefer to stuff waterfowl with mashed potatoes. Although Blood Sausage may be a Polish Thing like Duck Blood Soup. YMMV. You can also add Oleo when grinding the sausage, but I prefer lard. JMHO. Butter is more costly, but some folks prefer it to either Oleo or Lard. YMMV. As a sidenote, if game is down to nothing more than possum and coon Old Yeller is already part of the stew. JMHO YMMV.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Pop quiz
    20190320_143515_1553111864701_001.jpg

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    well if you want to eat pos then you will want to pen it a few weeks to clean it out you say youve never seen one climb out of a dead cow humm,I suggest sweet potatoes clean scraps from the kitchen ,and pos has a lot of fat one reason you clean it out cause it taste ? better
    coon is a good roast fried about like a rabbit in the cooking note coons carry rabies make sure its cooked well and use gloves to dress
    never heard of anyone making sausage out of either guess you could

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    well if you want to eat pos then you will want to pen it a few weeks to clean it out you say youve never seen one climb out of a dead cow humm,I suggest sweet potatoes clean scraps from the kitchen ,and pos has a lot of fat one reason you clean it out cause it taste ? better
    coon is a good roast fried about like a rabbit in the cooking note coons carry rabies make sure its cooked well and use gloves to dress
    never heard of anyone making sausage out of either guess you could

A friend once gave me some goose sausage, it was not bad.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom