Target Sports

Kicked by a Horse, is there a Doc in the House?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • statdoc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is no xray machine at the Eglin VA, they use the Eglin Hosp and it is closed till Mon, first available appt for non active duty military is Wed...thank God it is not an emergency.
    The Eglin hospital is not closed. The elective outpatient stuff may be closed due to the holiday. And if it really was an emergency, you would have been sent to an Emergency Department (either Eglin or a civilian ED), where you emergency medical condition could have been evaluated immediately.

But, if you want me to amputate it for you, I have knives & saws ready. :rockon:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    But, if you want me to amputate it for you, I have knives & saws ready. :rockon:

Since you're teaching this weekend I could do it. I've got a 10" radial arm saw and a torch to cauterize. I'm just here to help.:bounce:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Doc, not what they told me, I had an xray ASAP order and still had to wait 6 days to get it. They were closed for the Holiday at least to me and the Doc. I could drive to Biloxi and go in the VA EM room, or pay myself and I cannot afford. Vets get last treated, no one cares, trust me on this, I had an EKG that was a problem and still no contact after calling repeatedly! A friend of mine died in their care because of little/poor care! I know how it is supposed to work, I am here to tell you it does not...

Thanks for all the suggestions!! I am old, so I guess little care will kill me quicker and SS and VA will appreciate that!

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That really pisses me off Frank. I've heard horror stories before about the horrible care given to Vets. Need to require politicians to use only those facilities. Bet you would see some changes!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I asked my assigned Doc why the Eglin VA did not offer more services and not make the vets drive 1 1/2 hrs to get a simple consult or test...His words were "if we did we would have too many homeless vets hanging around and we don't want to have that happen". Some of these Docs can barely speak English, if the VA would use PA's more there would be much better care.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank I am sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with the VA. My experance has been alot diffren't than yours. Most of my va care has been at large hospitals that were next to teaching hospitals and they had ALL of the latest equipment and the best dr. Now that said when I retired and came south the nearest VA is a 2 hour drive and a 2 story hospital. There care is still good but for some things you have to go to Alanta but they don't hesatate to send you places that they cant do the work for you. They have an ER but I have never had to use it. Now the clinic I can go to in Albanay can't do a hole lot for you and if I was going over there I might get the same treatment you are getting because it IS just a clinic.You might be better of to move your care to a larger hospital in the long run where they have more equipment, even if it is a 1 or 2 hr drive. Just a note from my understanding if you have a life threating emergency you can go to any hospital. Don't know about your leg.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yeah when I was in Houston the VA did everything in a teaching Hospital and I mean everything! Here Gulfport is the closest hosp. The clinic here does your primary care, then you go to Pensacola for minor tests and to Gulfport for a Hospital...All just depends on your location and chain of care.

I never have figured out if I go to an area hosp or get transported to one if the VA pays them or it is on me, I am a Vet, not retired so there are different rules and procedures for care. Right now the VA is my primary care in another year I am medicare then VA as my Primary. The thing that saves me in all this is a 20% service connected disability.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Admittedly I do not know an awful lot about the VA and it's associated "system". I have always been treated good, so I had no reason to dig into the rules other that what directly applies to me or my wife.

Wondering ..... if you are not retired military,or Medicare,how do you get the VA to pay any part of a non-service related injury ?? (the ankle/foot) --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well in my case, not retired and a Vet but I have a service connected disability. Even before they treated all my ills as a veteran as I have no insurance and they are listed as my primary caregiver. I pay a copay for some meds. As a non disabled vet you might be required to co pay for Doc visits too, all depends on how you fill out the financial forms that are required. All vets are eligible depending on VA funding, limits of budget, financial capabilities...sometimes they care for all, sometimes if you make too much $$ you can get the drug copay but nothing else unless tied to a service connected disability. Best I can explain...sorry

Oh because I am a diabetic with an open wound and possible circulation issues with the possible fracture and swelling this would be covered as as connected.

Last edited:

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From what I understand if it is life threating the va pays for all of it. You stay in the civ hospital untill stable and then you are transported to a va hospital that can tahe care of you. Frank I don't know where to tell you to look but SOMEWHERE on there web site it will surley tell. Most vets that I have talked to It depends what hospital you are dealing with. All of my care has been top rate but they have bad hospitals just like in the civ world. Also with DR. There are good ones and bad ones. Beleave it or not you have the right to ask for another Dr if you aren't happy with the care you are getting. Its not like when we were young and bumb and on active duty. Its come a long ways since then. Hope your leg gets better soon because that can hurt like hell. And by the way I am pretty good with a chain saw for the leg if some of the other guys don't have time.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    T was warned the Houston VA 10 clinics for the entire City in one Hospital complex was the worst you would experience...I got the best care there and they went above and beyond in your care.

Here I started at the Panama City clinic, it was OK but over an hour drive just to get there, since the opened the Eglin Clinic I have gone there, fired one DR and getting ready to fire another. The Pensacola Clinic is much better and has all the testing labs and Navy Joint VA hosp to serve the Vets. Rumors of a Panhandle VA Hospital being built have persisted but because of VA cutbacks never happened. I have to say the staff at the Eglin Clinic are very good, the quality of the Docs is mediocre at best.

My leg cut is healing nicely since the Dr visit and antibiotics and after almost 2 weeks if my leg was fractured it seems to be healing too, at least they will probably not be able to do anything with it anyway due to the time it has been since the injury. So no chainsaw needed, but thanks for your concern!

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some of these Docs can barely speak English, if the VA would use PA's more there would be much better care.

Yep, I rarely use the Eglin VA. The doc they assigned me might as well have had shrunken heads on his walls and a jar of leeches in the corner of the exam room. Like you said the staff seems pretty good, but the docs seem to be the same as when I would visit third world hospitals helping our docs with assessments.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    SAWMAN va care is the same as Franks. No income when I needed the VA the first time. Thats how I got into the system. My problem was I am an alcholic. Not proud of the fact it is just a fact.The last time was 7 weeks in the hospital and would have probaly died if not for Carolyn insisting on a diffrent Dr. For those who wonder been sober 11years so if I ever get to shoot with some of you I am sober... Frank i'm glad you talked about the clinic in Pacola as I will be back down here for 6 months and my yearly checkups will be due so I will get in there system before I leave. Sawman alot of past active duty miss out on bennies because they don't know they have them coming. It's all like frank said and you can go even if you have insurance. The cost will depend on your income. I am on ssi as my only income but I still have to a copay on meds but not on For Dr visits or hospital...The only requirement for care is an honorable distcharge. And maybe 60days service. Not sure about the 60 days. Bottom line is if you served you are intitled to care if you have an honorable discharge.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I applied to VA due to a severe hearing loss in my right ear, a loss of higher frequencies in both ears, and a pretty bad case of tinnitus. It was all well documented by the Air Force before I was honorably discharged after 6 years active duty. They turned me down flat.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    John, me too, but mine was not documented. Today yours would be approved, let the Rep at your closest clinic make the application for you instead of doing it yourself...take her your past application and turn down if you have that.

Top Bottom