• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Finally got to go out and shoot some suppressed stuff today.

HOLY CRAP!!! 22 with the right ammo is ridiculously quiet. All we could hear were the bullet hitting the berm and the trigger going click.

One individual had a AAC handirifle. WOW! No cycling of the action, no supersonic crack.

Two cans pending, time to save up for some more.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just wish the DOJ/ATF didn't take so long to turn the Forms around... I'm still waiting for an SBR and AOW approval -- now with Little Jack's help, I'm adding one for a suppressor into the que!

Kamac

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Where can I obtain the forms to purchase a suppressor for a rifle?

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    out the door for a decent .22lr can what am I looking at price wise stamp included?

Depends, your average .22 can ranges from $200 to $600. Then add your $200 in taxes. If you order online then you will have to pay transfer and shipping fees and transfer fees for NFA items are typically $50 to $100 with C3 SOT FFLs.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Depends, your average .22 can ranges from $200 to $600. Then add your $200 in taxes. If you order online then you will have to pay transfer and shipping fees and transfer fees for NFA items are typically $50 to $100 with C3 SOT FFLs.

If you buy local you have to pay sales tax and usually local prices aren't as low as the interent.

Rick at Major Weapons in Pace does transfers for $40. He also has SDN-6s and an Element 2 on hand for sale. He can get quite a bit from other manufacturers as well.

Kamac. Usually you purchase the item then do the paperwork. You can get the forms from the ATF on line but your dealer should have everything you need.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I generally recommend buying locally if possible. If you buy on line, a form 3 transfer is needed to send the item from one FFL to your local FFL. A form 3 can take about two months from what I hear. Of course if your looking for something unique which often occurs with NFA, then your probably going to be forced to buy online anyway. However, if you can find it locally, even if the price is somewhat higher, I would go local so you can get your item faster.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My first can, the Form 3 took two weeks. Major Weapons first order took just over 3 weeks. According to one of the distributors, in the last week Form 3 wait times have dropped to less than 2 weeks.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My first can, the Form 3 took two weeks. Major Weapons first order took just over 3 weeks. According to one of the distributors, in the last week Form 3 wait times have dropped to less than 2 weeks.

I keep hearing conflicting reports. I've heard anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months. It all really depends on the state and really the examiner load. However earlier in the year before the examiner assistants came on form 3s got slow everywhere.

RedcedarHunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Yeah, most Form 3's have been about 2-3 weeks recently. But like you said, I guess that's only if the original sales shop is on the ball.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'm near the 87/89 intersection in North Milton. Not a store front if you're looking to window shop. If do want to stop by and talk guns let me know.

Sandspur6

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Has anyone tried out the adapter that allows you to attach an automotive oil filter as a suppressor. The adapter is registered instead of the can. I tried one the other day and it was "scary" quiet. The first time I ever heard a suppressor that actually sounds like the ones in the movies.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Has anyone tried out the adapter that allows you to attach an automotive oil filter as a suppressor. The adapter is registered instead of the can. I tried one the other day and it was "scary" quiet. The first time I ever heard a suppressor that actually sounds like the ones in the movies.

I wouldn't touch it. There's a lot of discussn over the legality of it. Most notable if replacing the oil filter is manufacturing a new can.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wouldn't touch it. There's a lot of discussn over the legality of it. Most notable if replacing the oil filter is manufacturing a new can.

What about the cans with replaceable neoprene wipes etc? I know that they have been made and distributed for a long time. Thompson machine was the last one that I remember seeing with them on the market.

I still think the oil filter silencer thing is an awful idea, just wondering about the difference legality wise between replacing the oil filter and replacing the wipes.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What about the cans with replaceable neoprene wipes etc? I know that they have been made and distributed for a long time. Thompson machine was the last one that I remember seeing with them on the market.

I still think the oil filter silencer thing is an awful idea, just wondering about the difference legality wise between replacing the oil filter and replacing the wipes.

Many use the same line of thinking and cite that the oil filter is merely a wipe. It may possibly be, but at the same time the body of the oil filter itself probably reduces decibels, which makes it a baffle. Either way, I would hold off on getting one, because its not a good thing when your the test case in court.

Its also plain ugly and I say just pony up the money for a regular can.

Top Bottom