• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    I just go to Walmart or the dollar store and get a couple of bottles of Sno-Cone syrup. It is easy to carry and easy to despense. Cheap too.

AND.......(and this is hard to believe)......the tests that I have done....anything that I use water with,I always use rain water(no matter how polluted). I feel that the chemicals usually added to city water makes it less attractive.....yep....even to a hog. --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Beer has yeast in it so if you use yeast you don't need it, instead of koolaid and sugar i sometimes use a 2-3 liter red soda from the $ store.

Telum Pisces

Master
    The just of it all. Use some kind of sweet strong smelling liquid to soak in the corn while it rots. I purchased some hog attractant one time that smelled like burnt popcorn. Really strong burnt popcorn. They loved that stuff and it brought them in the night after I put it out at 3pm one day.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Deer cane syrup or powder works too. molasses, works well too.

itsazonik

Expert
    I am going to mix up a dozen 5 gallon buckets and load up the truck and head up to ga. Ill bury it all and sprinkle some on top. See what happens

Telum Pisces

Master
    I am going to mix up a dozen 5 gallon buckets and load up the truck and head up to ga. Ill bury it all and sprinkle some on top. See what happens

Make sure you have lids. Don't want that stuff spilling in the truck. It's quite stinky. Don't ask how I know.

Fishinspot

Expert
    So at 620pm this afternoon I'm driving down 85 and just north of the fire tower where i usually see buck on the side of the road there was a good looking hog grazing in the grass. Surprised me because I thought they were more skiddish usually. Wish I had more time I would have pulled over and chased him down with my gerber in hand. Try that area

Snow Bird

Master
    You sure learn alot on this forum even if you will never use it. CoolAid on corn is something I would have never dreamed of...Might keep it in mind to pass along some day.

SAWMAN

Master
    The absolute very best hog attractant comes in a spray can. It smells absolutely nasty. BUT.....IMO.....it works. --- SAWMAN

itsazonik

Expert
    I have lids, lol. I have made a lot of bait from corn yeast and water. Didn't realize one time a bucket got set in a shed, sat there for 5 months. That was an interesting time trying to figure out what to do with it. Ended up with 500 feet of para cord, hoisted it into a tree, stood WAY back and dropped it. Came back 3 days later and it had all been eaten

gtmcgeejr

Expert
    Best bait concoction I made was 50lbs yellow corn to 3 quarts Cobra malt beer. Let set 1-3 days pour on ground. Hogs will root up an area the size of a Volkswagen to get all the corn and juices out of the ground. It works amazing well.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I just lay out one of my x wife's as we all know they always stink!

bobinbusan

Master
    Need some information on buying from local grain/feed mills that make feed and have corn & syrup for sale that they use in making feed for animals, like any places around this area, Milton and Pensacola ,etc?
    Thinking you can buy bulk corn or syrup a lot cheaper from them Tractor supply & etc.?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Bulk corn at any coop, Atmore/Walnut Hill for you. but syrup for what, sweet feed, never seen it in bulk? wild or pen raised hogs?

bobinbusan

Master
    Guess the kind you put in sweet feed, would be for open range hogs, they want $10.00 or more for a gallon and all it is syrup of some kind for there sweet tooth. thanks

Need names,location/address in Atmore or Walnut hill for the corn, do you know what the going price is now for the corn?

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Yeah, we never use sweet feed just plain corn. You can buy online in 55 gal barrels but I don't think you will like the price!

bobinbusan

Master
    Guess the kind you put in sweet feed, would be for open range hogs, they want $10.00 or more for a gallon and all it is syrup of some kind for there sweet tooth. thanks

Need names,location/address in Atmore or Walnut hill for the corn, do you know what the going price is now for the corn?

You could buy dried molasses to mix into feed for an attractant for young pigs, what about something like this?

Found the corn for around 20 cent a pound in bags and was wondering if you can find it cheaper?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    $10 a 50 is what I pay, I think bulk is 8.5 for 56lbs, Sawman takes his barrels there and the fill them up.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Heck, wally world corn is the cheapest right now that I have found. It works just fine for hogs and deer. I think it's $8.50 per 40 lb bags. They are a little easier to carry into my secluded hanging feeder spot to compared to the 50lb bags.

Top Bottom