Got it, the switchback .22 can. Talk me out of it, too late...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fathertime

Marksman
    My experience with 22 cans (I have two) is keep it as simple as possible cause you will have to clean them regularly due to 22 being so dirty. Stay away from cheaper cans, they are cheap for a reason. In both my switchback and my osprey micro standard velocity 22 seems the quietest but they will kill a bird but not a rabbit, I shot an armadillo numerous times at about 15 steps and he still ran off. Mini mags shoot real good just not quiet as the standard velocity but they will kill an armadillo.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    My experience with 22 cans (I have two) is keep it as simple as possible cause you will have to clean them regularly due to 22 being so dirty. Stay away from cheaper cans, they are cheap for a reason. In both my switchback and my osprey micro standard velocity 22 seems the quietest but they will kill a bird but not a rabbit, I shot an armadillo numerous times at about 15 steps and he still ran off. Mini mags shoot real good just not quiet as the standard velocity but they will kill an armadillo.
    Tku. That brings up the cleaning issue how are you doing it? Sonic?, elbow grease? Other? Pre lube can?

I know it's a trade off for the quietness, was using cci subs in a RR revolver under the porch and had a dillo charge me. Took all six before rushing past me, me rolling around squirming trying to get out and died in the yard, good thing I was wearing my brown pants.

The Q is aluminum tube, stacked baffled. Only rated for 22lr. Non auto.

Switchback is titanium tube, stainless baffled. ($100 more) Rated up to 5.7, auto
    The expansion chamber on the q can be moved to any stack to tune the sound.

Fathertime

Marksman
    As for cleaning I just scrub the parts with warm water and dawn soap, one of the lessons I learned early on was once you get it good and dirty the first time you will never make it look like new ever again. Then I spray it down with clp or sometimes wipe it with gun oil.

Themumfordman

Master
    The question is always sound suppression versus “silencing.” Nothing is silent, especially on a semi auto. Using 22 subs with a can is stupid quiet, but also usually won’t cycle a semi auto. You can use say 36gr mini mags at about 1250 FPS, but then you’re sacrificing decibel level for firearm function.

Federal makes a good 45 grain “suppressor” ammo, but it’s just a basic FMJ and not exactly a quality hunting round, but it will cycle my Glock 44 and my AR-22 with the Q on them.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    The question is always sound suppression versus “silencing.” Nothing is silent, especially on a semi auto. Using 22 subs with a can is stupid quiet, but also usually won’t cycle a semi auto. You can use say 36gr mini mags at about 1250 FPS, but then you’re sacrificing decibel level for firearm function.

Federal makes a good 45 grain “suppressor” ammo, but it’s just a basic FMJ and not exactly a quality hunting round, but it will cycle my Glock 44 and my AR-22 with the Q on them.
    Cci makes a segmented. 22 sub. Might work or come apart in the can??

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    As of today leaning towards the switchback. Just built more sturdy than the q erector. Don't know if it's better or nit. Seems like A&M Pawn had the erector in stock? (Tan)

Snake-Eyes

Master
    If you go steel or titanium, you don’t have to worry about what method of cleaning you want to use. If aluminum, then tumblers and sonic can cause damage.

Themumfordman

Master
    Looked online, appears safe to use. Per, internet AND CCI. So they would give you an advantage on critters but the sub is 745 fps, probably wouldn't cycle a semi pistol or rifle.

I can almost guarantee it won’t. Standard 22 is so weak and inconsistent it has cycling issues on its own, suppressing something moving that slow there’s no chance it’ll cycle. Would be dang quiet though.

Themumfordman

Master
    The other thing you will find with suppressors is first round pop. There is cool uncompressed air in the can that has a more violent “pop” when you shoot the first round compared to subsequent shots, where the air has already been heated in the can. It seems to me that of my suppressors the 22 is most noticeable, probably because it’s also about the quietest one after that. I do know some cans are better than others at mitigating first round pop, just not sure which ones in 22 are rated better at that.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Absolutely. Running 30-36 grain CCI my AR will cycle just fine other than the occasional funky round.
    Also no punch thru with the segmented According to .22 plinkster. Gonna have to test that. always seems any pests close to the house you have to really watch the backstop.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Looked online, appears safe to use. Per, internet AND CCI. So they would give you an advantage on critters but the sub is 745 fps, probably wouldn't cycle a semi pistol or rifle.
    I generally shoot the cci standard velocity 1200 fps. Problem is the bullet is too soft to kill an armadillo.

Top Bottom