• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am contemplating starting a new gun fund & was curious if anyone here has owned a cooper rifle?

I am looking at a copper 54 with synthetic stock or sako finnlight. For hunting & occasional target shooting.

Is it accurate? Actual consistent group size not necessarily your best.

If you had it to do over would you buy it again?

Any cons?

Same question for Sako Finnlight

All feedback appreciated.

Last edited:

joebuck

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got a Finnlight in .308 and it is a fine shooter. I was going to buy a Cooper, I mean I was close but ended up building a custom gun on a Model 700 action. Honestly it was about the same money but I got everything just like I wanted and it is one of a kind. I'm still trying to get the right ammo dialed in but it showing great potential.

Hope this helps.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OOPs if a mod can move to rifles I would appreciate it.

Thanks Joebuck how good of groups can you get from the sako.

I prefer a gun without a 90 degree bolt throw. I am not wanting a true custom at this time. I also like I can buy both a cooper or Sako locally.

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have four Sakos currently, and my fifth will be here in late April. I have a finnlight in 30-06 and it is a fine rifle. I have had many different rifles and non have been as accurate out of the box as any of my Sakos. My opinion is that sako makes the best, and most accurate rifles on the planet.

HideBuster

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My vote is Sako. I have a 300 wsm finnlight that shoots .5 moa since day one. Gun is very light and well balanced. No regrets at all. Bought a A7 Tecomate 300 wsm this year, and its a tack driver also.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I do not feel that the Cooper's are getting enough "press" here. Firstly I have never owned a Cooper. I did own a Sako about 25 years ago,however I do not remember much that far back. I do remember that it was a "good gun".

Given that,I will say that I have shot several Coopers in the last several years. There are several people that own multiple of these excellent guns at the range that I belong to. The chamberings that I have shot are mostly the smaller(<.245")calibers. All of these guns had been hand loaded for and were super accurate. All of these guns had super grade wood and the fit and finish was perfect.

NOW......these might not be the guns that a person needs for hunting. At $2000 or so I'm not really sure that I would lug a weapon of this "caliber" thru the Fla swamps. These guns do have a "WOW FACTOR". Soooooo......they are pretty,accurate,well made,and expensive. Are they worth it ?? Ask your wife then proceed from there. --- SAWMAN

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks guys!

Sawman I am looking at the synthetic / stainless model so I have no worries about using it. All though I do love their super high end AAA wood models that is not what I am after here.

Both rifles seem to fit my desires & the cooper is really only a few hundred more then the Sako. Both have accuracy guarantees & good reputation. I do not want to buy a rifle & have to change anything. I think it is silly to buy a rifle & have to change anything on it or bed the action. I understand some people enjoy modification but not me. I would rather spend that time shooting.

I will have to save some & sell a rifle or two but think I would be happier with two great rifles then several good ones.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Know what you mean Joe. Had a guy come up to hunt with me when I was guiding in Maine. During the pre-hunt sighting in/verifying zero that I always did,I asked him how many rifles he owned. He gave me a strange look and said,"only one". It was an older Remington chambered in 308Win. Come to find out he had killed 'bout everything in North America with that gun. He was a crack shot with that gun,even standing offhand or from shooting sticks.

He killed a 875lb bull moose with that gun the second day into the hunt. One shot,exactly where he was told to place the shot ......at 200yds,gun resting on a tree stump.

If you are still young, my advice is to consolidate. Just a couple rifles,pistols,and shotguns will certainly do ya. Let us know what you decide and show off your new adoption. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom