• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    Last week I witnessed the 7000th round of 5.56 NATO go through the barrel of a Bear Creek Arsenal AR-15. The rifle has had no problems and no parts replaced. Runs like a Singer Sewing Machine! The gas rings were good but they were replaced during the clean up after the 7000th milestone.

A testimonial to the "Low Price Doesn't Always Mean Low Quality" statement.

Taxesar3theft

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you're willing to gamble on it as a duty rifle I say do you but just because you have 1 (that im sure was not treated as a duty rifle) that shot 7k without problems doesn't mean I'd trust my life to it in a Ukrainian situation.... now ot is better than not having one at all but to each their own

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well, mil-spec really just means built by the cheapest bidder, so fits and finish are rarely that good on our military weapons. I remember my M16a2 I was issued required little pieces of cardboard in the lower receiver to keep it from rattling when I moved around with it. It wasn't a Knights Armament or Daniel Defense, it was probably built worse than most Bear Creeks or PSA's, yet it fired every time the trigger was pulled and was accurate enough for duty use, and I assure you, it saw duty and training that the bulk of those high-end AR's will never even imagine.

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    I'm pretty sure I would. It's received rougher treatment and more use than the rifle I used as an LEO. How many people on this site use their rifles in a "Ukraine Situation"? The last bad environment for a weapon I can personally attest to was Desert Storm. Unless intentional, and I don't know of anyone that does that, a privately owned weapon will probably never see a Degradating Combat Environment.

Taxesar3theft

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Well, mil-spec really just means built by the cheapest bidder, so fits and finish are rarely that good on our military weapons. I remember my M16a2 I was issued required little pieces of cardboard in the lower receiver to keep it from rattling when I moved around with it. It wasn't a Knights Armament or Daniel Defense, it was probably built worse than most Bear Creeks or PSA's, yet it fired every time the trigger was pulled and was accurate enough for duty use, and I assure you, it saw duty and training that the bulk of those high-end AR's will never even imagine.
    Ya for your average military outfit I'd agree but the special ops don't use those lol

Taxesar3theft

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm pretty sure I would. It's received rougher treatment and more use than the rifle I used as an LEO. How many people on this site use their rifles in a "Ukraine Situation"? The last bad environment for a weapon I can personally attest to was Desert Storm. Unless intentional, and I don't know of anyone that does that, a privately owned weapon will probably never see a Degradating Combat Environment.
    Buy what you can afford no hate just not something I'd gamble on .... but since it "probably" won't happen why worry right

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Generally a cheap one will work pretty good. High dollar is more due to higher finish quality and QC, as well as novel or uncommon ideals or mechanisms that aren't as mass-produced. You can't really argue that a PSA would be less reliable than a Geiselle, but you definitely cannot argue that the PSA is as well manufactured and finished, or have the options the Geiselle might have factory.

Happy owner of a PSA, Vltor, and Century made AR. They all work great and ran the gambit on pricing and quality. I have no personal experience with BCA but the consensus is that they run just as good as anything else out there.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Ya for your average military outfit I'd agree but the special ops don't use those lol
    I was a special operations pathfinder. Your special forces guys may use the good shit, but your average Ranger or Recon grunt uses the same shit issued to everyone else. Your operators have higher-end shit because they're often expected to go well above and beyond the 'duty' role.

Taxesar3theft

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I was a special operations pathfinder. Your special forces guys may use the good shit, but your average Ranger or Recon grunt uses the same shit issued to everyone else. Your operators have higher-end shit because they're often expected to go well above and beyond the 'duty' role.
    Why wouldn't you go with higher end if money wasn't an issue?

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    Jevaughn, correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw a Hell of a lot of Non-Colt Manufactured M-16's being carried around all over the world by U.S. Forces.
    Those reach in and get what you need replacement part bins were always loaded up with "Generic" parts. I wouldn't even attempt to guess who made them.

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    My point was you don't have to buy High End to get High End Performance.

My 2005 vehicle will win no awards at a Car Show, but it runs like a Top, and I would not hesitate for a second to make a cross country trip in it. I would get where I was going as well as anyone driving a 2022 Cadillac.

Taxesar3theft

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

My 2005 vehicle will win no awards at a Car Show, but it runs like a Top, and I would not hesitate for a second to make a cross country trip in it. I would get where I was going as well as anyone driving a 2022 Cadillac.
    Back to the buy what you can afford lol

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Why wouldn't you go with higher end if money wasn't an issue?
    You can, but they aren't going to be any more reliable than any other. They might shoot sub moa or have features you'd prefer. They might have a match barrel which will be more accurate but more picky when it comes to ammo. For a duty rifle, they aren't any better than a poverty pony other than they have a better fit and finish and more expensive and maybe for you, more ergonomic components.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jevaughn, correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw a Hell of a lot of Non-Colt Manufactured M-16's being carried around all over the world by U.S. Forces.
    Those reach in and get what you need replacement part bins were always loaded up with "Generic" parts. I wouldn't even attempt to guess who made them.
    You might have a Colt stamp on your receiver, but it wasn't likely you had an original barrel, BCG, lpk, etc, and if you had a fixed stock a1 or a2, the plastic was probably stamped Mattel somewhere

Taxesar3theft

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Which is why I followed it up with to each their own but I disagree with the reliability aspect of what you're saying

Gingershooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Last week I witnessed the 7000th round of 5.56 NATO go through the barrel of a Bear Creek Arsenal AR-15. The rifle has had no problems and no parts replaced. Runs like a Singer Sewing Machine! The gas rings were good but they were replaced during the clean up after the 7000th milestone.

A testimonial to the "Low Price Doesn't Always Mean Low Quality" statement.
    I can't remember what the scandal was but I know it involves illegal immigrants working at BCA. While yours works, that doesn't mean they all do. I've heard and watched plenty of BCA failures and WTF QC's. Yes your car can take you on a road trip, will a BETTER car be more fun, reliable, and softer(shooting)? Yes

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

chinese companies and the us gov own a good bit of gm... wouldn't ride in a cadillac now

Taxesar3theft

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I can't remember what the scandal was but I know it involves illegal immigrants working at BCA. While yours works, that doesn't mean they all do. I've heard and watched plenty of BCA failures and WTF QC's. Yes your car can take you on a road trip, will a BETTER car be more fun, reliable, and softer(shooting)? Yes
    It's like saying all cops are domestic abusers because they lead the nation in it.... I wouldn't say that they are but I damn sure wouldn't date/marry one cause numbers very rarely lie

Same goes for low quality with bad qc guns not saying some won't last forever just not something I'm willing to gamble on.

Top Bottom