• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Y'all are gonna make me build a poverty pony rifle and run a class with those Colt boys...

The good thing is the AR platform is so popular it does two things... 1) makes "quality" more affordable than before; and 2) creates an outlet place for cheap crap parts.

If you are not careful, don't know what you're doing, or sourcing "the cheapest cost" parts, then you most likely will have issues.

It's always a good time in class when a "brand name" rifle has a problem yet the guy three firing positions down is killing it with a $550 beater build and his stuff works all weekend blasting almost 1K rounds with nothing more than a few drops of oil on the BCG.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Yeah it's all relative, I'm no expert but I've seen both ends of the spectrum win and fail. Adding more lube typically fixes the issue right?

DoomerCowboy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I base my cost opinions on direct observation with over twenty years LE, SWAT, Agency Instructor on a host of firearms crap, multiple Colt Armorers courses, and over ten years providing training classes with respectable class round counts.

I use to build rifles for guys for duty use, thousands and thousands of rounds in training and in classes. I stopped because people wanted to save $1 here or there and not source the parts from the few places I recommended. My "loaner" rifles I use in my classes have untold round counts and never has a student of mind experienced a malfunction, and we use the rifles fairly hard in my classes. They are all home built from reasonable parts sources.

I disagree with your cost requirement and price point on receivers. Notice I said in-spec above. An in-spec upper/lower for $100, which is what they go for now, won't have any issues and offers nothing less than sets costing 3x as much. PSA and Aero now have dependable receiver sets that won't cause issues. STAG, LBR, RRA, Wilson Combat, and a host of others apply as well.

As you might know, STAG is CMT's commercial parts outlet, or use to be, and their standard LPK's are all that's needed for a dependable FCG that will withstand a harsh environment. No need to spend $$$ on a boutique trigger... if it goes bang, it goes bang. A standard LPK from say CMMG or BCM will get the job done and costs less than $60.

I still say and believe a dependable rifle can be assembled for well under 1K, like $650-$700, no additional benefit to a $300 receiver set, and boutique triggers offer nothing for a "fighting" rifle. Precision work perhaps, but not a fighting rifle.

I do agree that $300 is a good price point for a quality CL or Nitride barrel and an MPI tested BCG. Quality BCG prices are really down right now with PSA offering one for like $60.00, sometimes with free shipping.

Just for the record, I carry a home-built AR on duty now that I recently relinquished my SWAT command and no longer carry a Colt Commando. I carry it vs. an agency issued rifle because I trust my life on its performance.

All the above is just one man's opinion, based on one man's observations and experiences.
    My apologies, I missed where you said in spec, and made some negligent assumptions. In all honesty, I hadn't priced receivers in a while, but aero is usually what I recommend people for building on a budget, nonetheless. Beyond that, I go for SOLGW BCG's, and Ballistic Advantage or better barrels, but I will yield that reliable enough parts can be had for less, but better is better. I partly disagree on triggers, cheaper ones such as stag, spikes, PSA etc. may function reliably, but there's a gainful difference from something still mil-spec or a little better from better brands, but to the average Joe they may not notice. I'm spoiled to nicer triggers, and the split times and accuracy that's gained. I also tend to go for nicer handguards and furniture, but I yield again, that you could certainly build a duty grade weapon cheaper with a FSP, plastic handguard, and cheap furniture for less than $1k, with good operating parts and less creature comforts.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My apologies, I missed where you said in spec, and made some negligent assumptions. In all honesty, I hadn't priced receivers in a while, but aero is usually what I recommend people for building on a budget, nonetheless. Beyond that, I go for SOLGW BCG's, and Ballistic Advantage or better barrels, but I will yield that reliable enough parts can be had for less, but better is better. I partly disagree on triggers, cheaper ones such as stag, spikes, PSA etc. may function reliably, but there's a gainful difference from something still mil-spec or a little better from better brands, but to the average Joe they may not notice. I'm spoiled to nicer triggers, and the split times and accuracy that's gained. I also tend to go for nicer handguards and furniture, but I yield again, that you could certainly build a duty grade weapon cheaper with a FSP, plastic handguard, and cheap furniture for less than $1k, with good operating parts and less creature comforts.

No apology necessary, it's the internet lol and we all have opinions.

I use to be a BIG Ballistic Advantage barrel fan, have their swag hanging in my classroom, until the past three years or so. Had to deal with a guy named Kyle IIRC as I had returned three of their .223 barrels as they shot 8-inch plus groups and one damaged my AEM5 suppressor, lucky for me Ron Allen took care of it. Bore scoping one of the barrels it looked like a steel-eating chip monk went to work inside the barrel lol. Despite returning the barrels "for testing" by BA, they never would tell me what they found wrong and I asked multiple times for "learning purposes". Always suspect when a company won't tell you what the problem was.

Over on ARFCOM there is no shortage of posts bashing their current barrel QC as well as their CS. I've always had great CS, but it's been a year. I think, and could be wrong, that Aero's acquisition of BA was the start to the downturn in quality. I've had great results with .308, 6.5 Grendel, and 6mmARC barrels, just not the .223 offerings. ARFCOM is where I made very detailed posts with pics about my various builds and problems.

I've since installed a Criterion barrel (cut by Craddock Precision) and a Douglas barrel (cut by Compass Lake) on two of my MK 12 clone builds... a third MK 12 does have a BA barrel and it shoots ok.

Fifteen to twenty years ago I loved the barrels the old Bushmaster company sold. For a great duty/fighting rifle their CL phosphate barrel packages were hard to beat.

DoomerCowboy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No apology necessary, it's the internet lol and we all have opinions.

I use to be a BIG Ballistic Advantage barrel fan, have their swag hanging in my classroom, until the past three years or so. Had to deal with a guy named Kyle IIRC as I had returned three of their .223 barrels as they shot 8-inch plus groups and one damaged my AEM5 suppressor, lucky for me Ron Allen took care of it. Bore scoping one of the barrels it looked like a steel-eating chip monk went to work inside the barrel lol. Despite returning the barrels "for testing" by BA, they never would tell me what they found wrong and I asked multiple times for "learning purposes". Always suspect when a company won't tell you what the problem was.

Over on ARFCOM there is no shortage of posts bashing their current barrel QC as well as their CS. I've always had great CS, but it's been a year. I think, and could be wrong, that Aero's acquisition of BA was the start to the downturn in quality. I've had great results with .308, 6.5 Grendel, and 6mmARC barrels, just not the .223 offerings. ARFCOM is where I made very detailed posts with pics about my various builds and problems.

I've since installed a Criterion barrel (cut by Craddock Precision) and a Douglas barrel (cut by Compass Lake) on two of my MK 12 clone builds... a third MK 12 does have a BA barrel and it shoots ok.

Fifteen to twenty years ago I loved the barrels the old Bushmaster company sold. For a great duty/fighting rifle their CL phosphate barrel packages were hard to beat.
    To my understanding, BA builds SOLGW barrels, but sons has exceptional QC, and that's usually where I try to send people. I wonder how many messed up barrels they send back, or if they'll decide to use someone else.

Ive heard a lot of good about criterion, but I don't have any hands on experience with them. Got a friend who's happy with one. Admittedly, I haven't looked at barrels myself in over a year, I've been moving away from AR-15s in favor of children of the AR-18. Only AR I have left is my .300 blackout. My curiosity has decreased with my interest in the platform.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Buy whatever you want.
    Run your gear, and learn. Or don’t.
    It makes no difference to anyone else.
    Nobody cares.
    It’s really only a call for validation.

I’ll stick to FN, Geissele, DD, and Colt.
    No need for common sense around here...

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Here's what actually happened, also a good read about an American company.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Man, I love this thread! My experience has taught me:

Even high dollar rifles can have problems.

Inexpensive (recognizing that is a somewhat relative term) isn’t always poor quality.

Most folks don’t shoot enough to ever realize their platform has problems.

The illegal aliens (Mexican/Latin American mostly) I have dealt with have had a strong work ethic. If it wasn’t for the obvious problems with their status they can do work for me any time. The other problem is sometimes they want to work *too* badly and end up over their heads so some vetting is required.

I was once had in my possession a rifle built by the Hydromatic Division of General Motors. That was pretty cool. Ran like any other 20” AR platform, but it was a hell of a conversation piece when the “who built your rifle” part of the day came up!

Anything more I would add would just sound like bragging, so I will just be along for the ride.

Gingershooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Here's what actually happened, also a good read about an American company.

What actually happened is they hired workers that were illegally documented. So illegal immigrants. The article even says it, I get that this is a fluff piece to make them look good, a lot of companies do it so I don't have any bad things to say about it. But if you read that article and believe that wasn't a fluff piece.... That's the problem. Read the reviews from previous employee's the Moore family does bad business. Also just because it's an American company doesn't make them good, do I wish it did? Hell yeah I'd much rather support American made and "craftsmanship". Do I think they are junk? No tinkering is fun as hell and it's a lot more fun getting a cheap thing to run then shooting an expensive item and being cautious. I don't believe for one moment he shot 7k rounds without a hiccup though. It's a free world do as you please, if you think they are just as good as other AMERICAN companies that pride themselves on teaching, training, and craftsmanship ship then you are wrong. I'm done responding to this because bear creek arsenal is totally not worth it. I wonder why they changed their name though?

Also don't let this distract you from the fact Epstein didn't kill himself.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Anecdotal feats aside, not interested. I have very specific requirements. Stemming from fixing or preventing shortcomings or failures I’ve seen or experienced first hand over the years.

Front front to rear:
    Pinned gas block, chrome lined barrel printing no more than 2moa with mk262, pinned non-adjustable gas block with a suppressor friendly gas port, HPT MPI carpenter 158 bolt, chrome lined carrier and key, deeply staked high quality gas key, must have a forward assist, properly torqued and staked castle nut. Also, no proprietary parts.

Anything less than will work just fine for 99% of users, but sticking to this list gives me confidence in my gear. Not to mention excellent results for me personally and the way I use my stuff.

What is failure if not an opportunity to learn? However, everyone is at a different place and stage in their journey, not to mention said journeys have different destinations.

All mileages will vary.

Last edited:

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will admit the claim of 7k rounds with no parts replacements is a heck of a feat. I don’t think I have ever seen that in 10+ years of being an AR armorer. Usually something goes before that.

Hell, I know of only a small handful of people that shoot even half that unless someone else is footing the ammo bill.

Top Bottom