• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    *** last story I saw about getting antivenom was 400k bill.... my bride's on me about wearing them like white on rice. She's knows how I like to ramble around in the woods.
    Beat me to it. That antivenom is INSANE how expensive it is...$150 for some good boots is damn cheap insurance if you're gonna be in known snake territory...you wouldn't go out in bear country without the proper gear, why risk it in venomous snake country?

Bonus pics of an old diamondback I had to smoke with some .22lr rat shot in the backyard a few months ago...being in the burbs I couldn't break out the shotgun, and I damn sure wasn't getting within machete range of this one...got a few rat snakes on the property I let live since they do a good job, but this one was headed to the neighbor's chicken coops and they have multiple young kids that play in the backyard...great camo if it weren't for the fact that I spotted it 75ft away since it was almost the size of a damn pool noodle sliding along the fence line

20220819_125738.jpg

20220819_132528.jpg

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Picked up a pair of cheep Magellans from Academy earlier today since they were half off - wore them in the woods for a bit.
    Just remember: you must kill at least one thing per day, no matter how small, to maintain proficiency :)

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I used to quail hunt with some guys south of Brewton. About 2 weeks before we were hunting with them a guy with them got bit by an Eastern Diamondback, one over 5’.
    They got him to Brewton where he was life-flighted to Pensacola. I hear he about died 3 times. 6 months later he was still walking with a cane.
    When we went 2 weeks later, everybody was wearing new snake boots.
    Probably 5 years ago I was in Panama City and stopped by Goodwill. They had a pair of leather snake boots for $20. A guy was looking at them when I spotted them.
    He said “What would you use these for, riding a motorcycle?” I played dumb and said “I guess so.”
    He finally put them down and I scooped them up. At first I thought they were Chippewa’s. I about fell over when I read the tag - W.C. Russell Moccasin Co.
    Retail $700.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I used to quail hunt with some guys south of Brewton. About 2 weeks before we were hunting with them a guy with them got bit by an Eastern Diamondback, one over 5’.
    They got him to Brewton where he was life-flighted to Pensacola. I hear he about died 3 times. 6 months later he was still walking with a cane.
    When we went 2 weeks later, everybody was wearing new snake boots.
    Probably 5 years ago I was in Panama City and stopped by Goodwill. They had a pair of leather snake boots for $20. A guy was looking at them when I spotted them.
    He said “What would you use these for, riding a motorcycle?” I played dumb and said “I guess so.”
    He finally put them down and I scooped them up. At first I thought they were Chippewa’s. I about fell over when I read the tag - W.C. Russell Moccasin Co.
    Retail $700.
    That company is only about an hour from where I grew up! My grandpa had a pair of hunting boots from them - Amazing quality. Im not really ready to drop $500 minimum for a pair of boots. lol

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    That company is only about an hour from where I grew up! My grandpa had a pair of hunting boots from them - Amazing quality. Im not really ready to drop $500 minimum for a pair of boots. lol

Cool, their boots are old style craftsmanship for sure.
    These were size 11s and a little too big for me. I was really hoping I could use them but ended up selling them.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Get zip ones. Lace up snake boots don’t get worn as much. Kinda like a condom in the wallet when younger. It’s not going to do any good unless you wear them.
    Mine are both, the only way I buy them...just a better fit. I also use the zipper to take on and off but adjusted right the laces make them more comfortable

3rdown110yds2go

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bought my wife and I both a pair of gaiters and they spun all around our legs, couldn’t secure them or keep them tight enough. Bought a pair of Rocky’s this year, LOVE THEM ! Very comfortable and water proof. Watch some of the Rocky YouTube videos !

Last edited:

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Get zip ones. Lace up snake boots don’t get worn as much. Kinda like a condom in the wallet when younger. It’s not going to do any good unless you wear them.
    Well, I lucked out and got the zippered ones thankfully. :)

ford

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a pair of Justin’s and they’re the only ones that I didn’t have to “break-in” before they were comfortable, they were from day one.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I need to get a pair of snake boots, I have chaps on my company work truck and some out in my shed and I absolutely hate chaps, too d@mn hot to wear. I’ve been mighty lucky so far, will be looking for some boots now since this topic has came up.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Definitely worth the money. Anti-venom is spendy and hell on the liver/kidneys. This chubby beast was shot at the range just a month or so back... was like 48deg out and he was on the move...

Attachments

• 20221025_103003.jpg
      20221025_103003.jpg
      584.3 KB · Views: 64
    • 20221025_102927.jpg
      20221025_102927.jpg
      644.8 KB · Views: 63

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I finally have a place to hunt Deer this year and I'm wondering if Snake boots would be a good investment.

Its a lot of lowland by a river and my wife is worried I will kick up a snake.

Anyone with practical experience or advice?

Ill be in the panhandle of FL.
    To answer, first I would need to know:

1. The cost of the boots

2. How much your life is worth to you

: )

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I need to get a pair of snake boots, I have chaps on my company work truck and some out in my shed and I absolutely hate chaps, too d@mn hot to wear. I’ve been mighty lucky so far, will be looking for some boots now since this topic has came up.
    Yeah, they are hot in the summer too. (Boots) the strap on hard gators are better. Kind of like soccer shin guards. But they only cover to just under the knee.

Top Bottom