• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LordPorter1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought $400 Irish setters and they are hot and hard to get used to. They have very stiff walls that go high to the knee, I wore them once, I like the idea of light weight gators that are flexible and can go with any boot.

LordPorter1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let me put it like this, snake boots aren’t a whole lot different than CCW options. There are a TON of them on the market. Know yourself and do your research and try them on when able. Because like a CCW pistol if you choose incorrectly you won’t have them on when you need them and it will be a waste of time and money for you. I chose incorrectly for mine. I went all in and got the biggest baddest most expensive and it was my mistake. If I had some simple bite proof gators in the truck I could slide on that were flexible and feasible for on the go then I would wear them all the time. Vs having a giant pair of rigid hot boots that take up 50% of my truck box that I dread putting on.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You guys are making me paranoid, now I’m afraid to get of the sidewalks! ;)
    Its for sure a serious subject, and one that should be discussed. I have boots and gators, my wife bought the boots and the gators were a birthday present. I wear them pretty often but not always , and that’s not the smart thing to do. I’m going to be more vigilant in the future.

LordPorter1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You guys are making me paranoid, now I’m afraid to get of the sidewalks! ;)
    Its for sure a serious subject, and one that should be discussed. I have boots and gators, my wife bought the boots and the gators were a birthday present. I wear them pretty often but not always , and that’s not the smart thing to do. I’m going to be more vigilant in the future.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I bought $400 Irish setters and they are hot and hard to get used to. They have very stiff walls that go high to the knee, I wore them once, I like the idea of light weight gators that are flexible and can go with any boot.
    I love my Irish Setter snake boots. Take the laces off altogether and use them as pull on boots. They'll breath that way and not be stiff or bind

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I love my Irish Setter snake boots. Take the laces off altogether and use them as pull on boots. They'll breath that way and not be stiff or bind
    And don't leave the truck/boat/roadside without your snake boots, snake shot, machete and/or a spade. A long handled shovel makes a great walking stick and it's a multi use weapon/tool. Learned this as a land surveyor. Plenty of snowflakes will call the law on you for walking around with a machete, sheathed or not.... but a shovel is just as deadly and has a longer reach and nobody looks twice. All a spade is is a wide point spear. And it can be file sharpened just like a spear or machete too.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    And don't leave the truck/boat/roadside without your snake boots, snake shot, machete and/or a spade. A long handled shovel makes a great walking stick and it's a multi use weapon/tool. Learned this as a land surveyor. Plenty of snowflakes will call the law on you for walking around with a machete, sheathed or not.... but a shovel is just as deadly and has a longer reach and nobody looks twice. All a spade is is a wide point spear. And it can be file sharpened just like a spear or machete too.
    Yep, I've got a sharp shooter long narrow shovel that I sharpened.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Yep, I've got a sharp shooter long narrow shovel that I sharpened.
    Yep. I have walked a lot with one of these too. Made for walking, long but not as long as a regular spade, with a knob for a hand grip. Made for walking, deadly on a snake, coyote or trespasser. I used it to clean tracks on my CAT 311 in Maine for a long time, and used her up. I walked miles in between everybody's hoes cleaning tracks at the end of the day. Very handy

Screenshot_20221207-115121.png

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Also consider taking a good cat with you : )

We had a litter of five females born here in 2008, and kept three. Two of ours each cornered a rattler for us... one at the edge of the woods, and one by the back door, and the two we gave away to one home tag-teamed and KILLED a rattler!

Of course, their daddy was "Daddy Cat", a neighborhood wanderer who my wife called a "thug", and whose neck was the size and density of a ROUND FENCE-POST!

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have a cold steel special forces shovel I am fairly dangerous with, I think that coupled with the 90’s era steel baseball cleats I am currently sharpening with a file will make light work out of the next snake I come across. I mean all snakes are tough until they take a round house kick to the face with sharpened cleats.
    And you can use them during the next “Purge”

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Yep. I have walked a lot with one of these too. Made for walking, long but not as long as a regular spade, with a knob for a hand grip. Made for walking, deadly on a snake, coyote or trespasser. I used it to clean tracks on my CAT 311 in Maine for a long time, and used her up. I walked miles in between everybody's hoes cleaning tracks at the end of the day. Very handy

View attachment 197963

Man uses a single tool for a survival challenge, and today his one and only tool is his shovel

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Been trying to find my wife a pair of size 7 Rocky Snake boots for two years. I guess they think only men are in the woods

Cappy6

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wear the Chippewa brand and they are much more comfortable than any other brands that I have tried. I've been bitten a couple of times and would not go to the woods without them. They're expensive but worth every penny. If you are going to be in rattlesnake country then wear the chaps also. The boots only protect up to the bottom of the knee and larger snakes can strike higher than that. I use both when upland bird hunting.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I used to quail hunt with some guys near Brewton. I wasn’t with them that trip but a guy with them got hit by a good-sized diamondback.
    He got better eventually but took several months and he almost died.
    I hunted with them a couple of weeks later and everyone was wearing brand new snake boots.
    I always wore snakeproof gaiters but came across a good deal on a pair of Rocky’s so I was one of the ones wearing new boots.

nhherp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recommend gaiters. My wife has TurtleSkin gaiters. These are way cooler, lighter and more pliable to wear then other gaiter brand (or boot).

Easy on and off.
    No need for the boot bulk or cost.

Personally I dislike any boot.
    A person learns to stalk and walk so much more quieter when the foot is not turned into an armored battering ram that gives no thought to where it steps.
    Use gaiters. You will walk farther, quieter and longer.

Notah

Top Bottom