• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Looking to get my technician license, and would like to talk shop, radios, etc..
    Or hear tips & tricks.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A few years back I was told there is a guy that sets up at the Milton Flea Market who is a wealth of knowledge. Never pursued, but maybe he's still there?

Senojeelnodnarb

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    A few years back I was told there is a guy that sets up at the Milton Flea Market who is a wealth of knowledge. Never pursued, but maybe he's still there?
    A few months ago there was still a shop in the back building in the corner full of radio and electronic parts, but I didn't see anyone manning it.

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    If anyone on here is a radio enthusiast or radio dealer, and is willing to come out to NAS Pensacola to demo some 2-way radios, I could use your services! I work at Barrancas National Cemetery and we need to get some new 2-way radios. Currently, our radios don’t have enough range to reach across the cemetery. We have an assigned frequency that we need to use. We need to find the right radios with the right antennas that can give us the range that we need. Ideally, 5 watt radios without a repeater. Any recommendations? Currently using Motorola xpr3500’s.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can say from personal experience, VHF/UHF are pretty much line-of sight. Gonna be hard without a repeater but upping the wattage will give you some added range. Good luck.

ETA, longer/higher antenna will help, too.

Last edited:

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I can say from personal experience, VHF/UHF are pretty much line-of sight. Gonna be hard without a repeater but upping the wattage will give you some added range. Good luck.
    I actually have a repeater in between me and my son.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Beached

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I just received my ARRL study books for technician license. I contacted wire grass hams they do tests on volunteer basis a couple times a year. Lots of info online.

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Yeah, if anyone is willing to do a radio test for us, it would have to be at our location, as local conditions probably affect the range. Besides line of sight challenges, we are also right next to the airfield, which may be affecting our radios. And being right next to the airfield is the reason why they say that we can’t use a repeater, although I don’t know if there is any logic behind that.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, if anyone is willing to do a radio test for us, it would have to be at our location, as local conditions probably affect the range. Besides line of sight challenges, we are also right next to the airfield, which may be affecting our radios. And being right next to the airfield is the reason why they say that we can’t use a repeater, although I don’t know if there is any logic behind that.
    I'm guessing they are more concerned about power output and the potential to interfere with airfield systems operating on microwave frequencies. Maybe cell phones are the better option?

Top Bottom