• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You might want to shop around for liability insurance prices for new manufacturer of reloaded ammunition - with no previous track record - before you decide to sink your life savings into a new project at a time when components are scarce and elevated in price...

It is good time for established manufacturers to expand - but not for new ventures. Especially since most new business start-ups fail even under the best of circumstances.

No doubt insurance would be through the roof. One would need to secure a contract with a few LE agencies for practice ammo and a reliable source for affordable components to make it feasible getting of the ground I would imagine. Then you would have to worry about future legislation shutting you down as well. Hard to imagine that $1 dollar a round for .223 is going to be the new norm. I have to believe somehow the market for cheaper ammo will be met though. Or maybe there is enough people willing to pay that price and we just have to deal with.

Captken

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Easy solution, build the factory south of the border where the regulations are non existence and cheap labor. Then import the ammo. You may have to pay off a few officials but probably no worse than here.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would think that there are container ships full of Russian ammo just waiting to make it to the American "panic" market right now. But yet, we don't see the shelves full of Wolf, Tula, Privi, etc. Aguila is made in Mexico -- and you would think that rail cars full of their 22 LR would be stacked up at the border to make it to the US for market. Somehow, I expect the Obama administration is working very slowly on the importation approvals to allow it to come into the market. I'm sure the Libs are working on legislation to restrict or ban the importation of "non-hunting" ammo from foreign sources. We're screwed and subject to the existing market forces right now.

Same old story -- if you didn't prepare and stock up on ammo before you knew you would face a "panic" market -- you're going to face shortages and high prices for many months (possibly years) to come. If you did stock up, you're reluctant to shoot it up -- so you buy small amounts at the higher prices just to get in some range time...

I ran through about 1000 rounds of steel-cased Russian 5.45x39 this past weekend in a 3-day carbine class. Even with the less expensive cartridge, I was very much aware of the value of each round I was sending downrange. I'm glad I ran my 5.45x39 AR in the course -- as I now have a very good 200 yard zero on the rifle, and I got most of my HK 416 magazines to run the stuff reliably with 25 rds loaded. But it did convince me that I need to acquire some dedicated C Products magazines specific to 5.45x39 for the future use.

Some of the other course participants had paid nearly $1 per round for their 5.56x45 ammo used in the course, while I was shooting stuff you can still find for less than 25 cents per round.

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    the prices will fluctuate but ammo will continue an upward climb for many reasons. we almost had a spike just yesterday when the collage student pulled the fire alarm and planed on shooting as many people as he could, however his timing was off and the cops were all over him so fast that he just did the right thing and killed his fool self. if he would have seceded we WOULD see gun bans here in Florida and prices would go back up again.

I agree that most people who panicked and had to have an AR has one now, however waiting on .223 to come down may be a long wait if it happens at all and the importation of russian ammo could all come to a halt with the stroke of an Obama pen

Captken

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had to chuckle when they reported he was armed with a 22 cal assault rifle with high cap mags. I wonder how many armies chose that weapon as their weapon of war?

Capt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Scuba,I've had c-products mags in 545x39 ordered for months from ASC,still waiting.If you happen to find a better supplyer would appreciate a hollar,thanks.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If that much of an increase happens there will be alot less ammo being purchased & shot myself included. Its time to go fishing. :smokin:

I see lots of steel cased ammo in my future. Some of the numbers being for told make FMJ prices the same as cheaper hunting ammunition. Like Winchester Power points, Remington core-lokt.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If that much of an increase happens there will be alot less ammo being purchased & shot myself included. Its time to go fishing. :smokin:

I see lots of steel cased ammo in my future. Some of the numbers being for told make FMJ prices the same as cheaper hunting ammunition. Like Winchester Power points, Remington core-lokt.

The russian steel cased ammo has been almost non existent lately in .223.. if you find any let me know!

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree I have not seen any ether but the price increases being mentioned are in June. I bought some federal 5.56 today for 10.99 a box but I could only get one box. I would hope by June there will be an influx of ammunition ( steel cased included) from the ramp up of production.

Heck I hope he is wrong.

Last edited:

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree I have not seen any ether but the price increase being mentioned are in June. I bought some federal 5.56 today for 10.99 a box but I could only get one box. I would hope by June there will be an influx of ammunition ( steel cased included) from the ramp up of production.

Heck I hope he is wrong.

Agreed on all points... I hope he is mistaken!

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    If he is not mistaken, how long do you think ammo companies will stay in business at those prices ? Shooting as a hobby will become a thing of the past.
    People will only shoot enough to be proficient with their gun of choice and there will probably be a lot of guns for sale.
    I know I won't be shooting for fun at $1 a round.
    Personally I don't see it happening but I've been wrong before ...........once back in the 70s.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am surprised since so many anticipated shortages & increased demand that the ammunition factories where not better prepared to handle it. Daniel Defense was one of the few poised to make out like bandits from my understanding. Of course they do not make ammo.

This has been going on for a good 2 1/2 months. How long should it take to ramp up production? I am far from a business expert but seems you would want to supply just enough ammo to take advantage of demand without decreasing the inflated prices. IMO they are not even close with certain rounds like 5.56., 9mm, 22, etc...

Last edited:

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd love to see the look on the faces of some of those that bought AR's at twice their normal price and bought up a bunch of $60+ Pmags when they read that story in the news today!

I had 60 before, and have 60 now, I have the same twisted grin on my face as before :D

Top Bottom