• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I use the cantilever style like the Burris PEPR, makes it easy to get the best eye relief for you. . Theoretically ones like the Larue can return to zero when dismounted using the QD style if you have a need for that. If using the Burris single extreme rings you need the extra tall for proper eye relief and height on an AR

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The PEPR and the Blackhawk rings come in 1/4,1/2,3/4,and 1" tall. This is measured from the bottom of the pic rail to the centerline of the rings(or scope). You will need at least 1" rings for proper cheek weld without head "roll over".

Some manufacturers are making rings especially for the AR type weapons that are right at 1.25"(~). To me,these are perfect. I have not measured the Nikon or the Burris PEPR for height,however they seem to be about 1". The PEPR mounts are super heavy ... AND ... heavy duty.

Using a 30mm scope will give you a little more height,but not much. Scope "risers" will usually give you another 1/2" but ...... I hate the thought of having something mounted to something that is mounted to my pic rail. --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Letter from ATK (owns Federal) to a Member on 6.8 forums he shot with over the past few months. There was a follow up letter stating the 90 gr Gold Dots are the same technology as the Fusion and may be rebranded under the Fusion name.

Kerry,

You made a compelling case for the 6.8 community.

We're running 6.8 in Fusion 115 gr and American Eagle 115 TMJ very soon. I'm assuming most of the run is allocated to backorders, and should distribute across all channels of trade. Once it's on the street in October, users might sound off on the message boards on where to best find it. I will follow up if we get to a stocking status after the fill.

If you're curious, F68MSR1 bullets are made in Lewiston, ID, and loaded in Anoka, MN. Four in my family will load our ARs with it this fall. I believe in our bonded jacket tech for whitetails as much as any other bullet we load, it just flat out performs.

I'm happy to report the turn of events here and thank you for your continued support and feedback. It's great to see user insights feeding production decisions. Feel free to share this info with the forum.

Thanks,
    Bob

Bob Meinert
    Senior Manager, Insights
    ATK Sporting Division
    900 Bob Ehlen Dr.,
    Anoka, MN 55303

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I am in Georgia at my brother's farm. Have now taken 2 big does with the 6.8 I got off the forum. 120 gr SST bullet reloads. 1 double lung shot...went about 50 yd...heard the deer when it crashed into a tree...Georgia allows game hunting with suppressors, and my rifle is suppressed. I "cheated" and used my thermal sight handheld to scan the woods where the deer ran and spotted the down deer and I could walk right to her. 1 neck shot DRT. They are both being made into jerky as my wife and grandkids like it.

Watched two bucks for about an hour, but the antlers were too small...my brother's place and he sets the rules for each season. His buck rule for me is 7 point or better since my last buck was a 6 point. He asked me to go out this afternoon and try for a mature doe, the older the better that doesn't have any yearlings with her, as he wants one for his freezer...of course I agreed to that...maybe I will see the 9 pointer he wants me to get. No baiting in Georgia. Trail cam got a pic of my DRT doe with another deer in the frame. Life is good!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    6.8 resource list, more to add later

Complete 6.8 SPC rifles
    1: Armalite
    2: Bushmaster
    3: Rock River Arms
    4: Stag
    5: LWRC
    6: Wilson Combat
    7: Daniel Defense / Ambush
    8: DoubleStar
    9: DPMS
    10: Barrett
    11: LMT
    12: Robinson Arms
    13: 2 Vets
    14: Yankee Hill Machine

6.8 SPC upper assemblies
    1: Mad Dog Weapon Systems
    2: Ironworks Tactical
    3: Suppression Solutions
    4: Wilson Combat
    5: Yankee Hill Machine
    6: SOTA

6.8SPC barrels/bolts/other parts
    1: AR Performance: Barrels and bolts
    2: BHW: Barrels
    3: Wilson Combat: Barrels,
    4: Palmetto State Armory: Barrels and bolts
    5: Stag: Bolts
    6: Yankee Hill Machine: Barrels and Bolts
    7: AR Stoner: Barrels, Bolts, and Magazines
    8: Daniel Defense / Ambush: Barrels and bolts
    9: PRI: Bolts, magazines, 6.8 specific breaks
    10: CProducts Defense: Magazines
    11: ASC: Magazines
    12: D&H: Magazines
    13: MagPul: Magazines for LWRC Six8 platform
    14: DPMS: Bolts

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have a Bison upper and it is great. Shooters should not be fixated on the melonite process unless they are expected to put thousands of rounds thru their weapon. If the intended build will be used in combat and/or for competition ..... maybe ...... hunting or casual range time ..... not needed. Is chrome harder than melonite ... ? ... could be. Is stainless or chrome/moly ... NO. So now allow me to ask. Which one will hold up better after a nominal 2000rds ?? How about after the abnormal 5000rds ?? Ask yourself(you surely can't BS yourself),with my intended build,for as long as I will own the gun,how many rds will be put thru it ???

For my uses in the recent past or expected uses in the future,ANY well made component to a AR would do me. The bbl and several other parts are the "weak" point to any accuracy issues. However(snapin' back to reality) ... define(to yourself) your level of accuracy needed ?? Prairie dogs at 500yds ?? Coyotes at that same range ?? Hogs and deer at 200yds ?? OR (OR!)even closer ??

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love my Bison.(with a stainless bbl BTW),others love there ARP's,Wilson's,and LWRC's. And all of these(and others)are definitely "BBQ " guns. Having it to do all over again,knowing what I know now,and getting "smarter" with age,would I buy a Bison upper for $950.?? Probably not. (?) --- SAWMAN

jpwalnuthill

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I also own a Bison and a ARP barreled gun I built. Can't tell the difference between the two as far as accuracy. Both of mine are built to hunt, so I won't be shooting them enough to wear out the barrel. I am building my son a Arp barreled gun now for Xmas. I went with the ARP because it was easier to get right now. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another Bison though.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Either will do us hunters fine. The ARP is a bit faster and more accurate because of the custom lands and grooves, not that the average shooter would know. I do like the melonite for the lack of care it needs compared to other barrels, I would not shoot out any barrel.

1956_4x4

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a few Bison, a few ARP, a few Palmetto and a few others. Honestly, I don't have any of one brand that out shoot any other brand. They all do their part and the biggest limiting factor in accuracy is usually me.

Smitty

Top Bottom