• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bearmann556

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Is it bedded? What bedding was used? Have you got the USMC Manual? Does it sit in one of Mac's Stocks or a knockoff? Do you intend to go with a Target Crown or threading for a suppressor? Have you selected between 168 or 175 Match Chamber? Ranges over 750 yards don't bother with the 168 Match Chamber, go with the 175 M118 instead. JMHO. Lots of questions, Once you determine those answers I'll ask a couple more. Doing it once right takes a lot of leg work. But I'm sure we can put you on the proper path if we all work together. JMHO.
    I do not know if it’s bedded and no manual. But I will ask. It is on a Macmillan stock. The barrel would be threaded. I would choose 175gr.

Bearmann556

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    If I had had it to do all over again I would spend my money on a custom action. There are tons of pre-fit barrels out now that fit the savage small shank threads. Aero is selling their action for $900. No need for a gunsmith, all you need is a vice and a torque wrench. The bolt gun world has become modular. If I were you I’d compare custom action vs blueprinted 700 on a spreadsheet with a calculator.
    I will definitely do that!

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    If I had had it to do all over again I would spend my money on a custom action. There are tons of pre-fit barrels out now that fit the savage small shank threads. Aero is selling their action for $900. No need for a gunsmith, all you need is a vice and a torque wrench. The bolt gun world has become modular. If I were you I’d compare custom action vs blueprinted 700 on a spreadsheet with a calculator.
    And add a " store built" like a Bergara HMR , or a Ruger PRS or a
    Tikka TAC A1 * to that spread sheet.
    Why not find a PRS match, don't know of any that are on a regular basis in this area , but go and ask LOTS AND LOTS of questions ; actions , barrels , calibers ,you will quickly learn to separate those that are helpful from those that want to live vicariously through your bank account. Don't think you will find many shooting 308's, maybe a few that don't reload.
    One stop shopping just to give you an idea of putting together from scratch.
    * there was a Tikka A1 in the classifieds

Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    And add a " store built" like a Bergara HMR , or a Ruger PRS or a
    Tikka TAC A1 * to that spread sheet.
    Why not find a PRS match, don't know of any that are on a regular basis in this area , but go and ask LOTS AND LOTS of questions ; actions , barrels , calibers ,you will quickly learn to separate those that are helpful from those that want to live vicariously through your bank account.
    One stop shopping just to give you an idea of putting together from scratch.
    * there was a Tikka A1 in the classifieds

Agree.

These threads usually go the same way, especially when the OP is just getting started.

All in all, you have TONS of choices for a "Precision Bolt Gun" and the possibilities are limited only by your wallet. People are QUICK to spout off all kinds of expensive options because they are not paying the bills.

I currently have a stock issued Rem 700 LTR/Leupold MK IV that shoots ALMOST as good as the AI/NightForce rifle I had. I have two Savage rifles that shoot very close performance wise to the two aforementioned rifles at a FRACTION of the cost. I've posted multiple clover-leaf groups from those rifles here in the past shooting from a basic "field" position (prone, bi-pod, rear bag), no need to duplicate.

When you spend money truing an action, there is no A = B results, money spent does not match a performance improvement mathematical formula. Some guys have posted no discernable positive results after truing a relatively good shooting rifle where as others have most certainly noted measurable results.

A high-end bolt gun to me is like investing in NV or a TWS... depending on exactly what you want to do and how much of it should drive the economic decision making process so as to avoid going to cheap at first as well as going whole-hog and ending up a year later with a huge investment that rarely sees the light of day.

Maybe I missed it... BUT... exactly what it your short and long range goal? Smacking steel at distance? Shooting competitions? Just seeing just how small of a group you can actually shoot?

There are plenty of factory out-of-the-box rifles that will shoot better than you can and will do so for a year or more considering training and practice.

When I give Precision Rifle classes I teach Precision Rifle Performance as a FOUR TIER platform (many good classes do):

1- The Rifle
    2- The Glass
    3- The Ammo
    4- The Shooter

$$$ can address 1-3, #4 might come quasi naturally, but more often through hours, days, months, years, of burning powder.

Do you reload? Do you plan on reloading?

IMO, just starting out, kind of hard to go wrong sourcing a serviceable (Sub-MOA) rifle, topping it with a mid-range value scope, buying/reloading some good ammo, and then start taking some classes and/or attending matches. The money you save from going this route vs. an expensive rifle system out of the gate will give you more trigger and field time, which is where skill development happens.

In the end, you get bit by the LR bug, you can then make better informed and educated decisions of higher quality/cost hardware.

Bearmann556

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Agree.

These threads usually go the same way, especially when the OP is just getting started.

All in all, you have TONS of choices for a "Precision Bolt Gun" and the possibilities are limited only by your wallet. People are QUICK to spout off all kinds of expensive options because they are not paying the bills.

I currently have a stock issued Rem 700 LTR/Leupold MK IV that shoots ALMOST as good as the AI/NightForce rifle I had. I have two Savage rifles that shoot very close performance wise to the two aforementioned rifles at a FRACTION of the cost. I've posted multiple clover-leaf groups from those rifles here in the past shooting from a basic "field" position (prone, bi-pod, rear bag), no need to duplicate.

When you spend money truing an action, there is no A = B results, money spent does not match a performance improvement mathematical formula. Some guys have posted no discernable positive results after truing a relatively good shooting rifle where as others have most certainly noted measurable results.

A high-end bolt gun to me is like investing in NV or a TWS... depending on exactly what you want to do and how much of it should drive the economic decision making process so as to avoid going to cheap at first as well as going whole-hog and ending up a year later with a huge investment that rarely sees the light of day.

Maybe I missed it... BUT... exactly what it your short and long range goal? Smacking steel at distance? Shooting competitions? Just seeing just how small of a group you can actually shoot?

There are plenty of factory out-of-the-box rifles that will shoot better than you can and will do so for a year or more considering training and practice.

When I give Precision Rifle classes I teach Precision Rifle Performance as a FOUR TIER platform (many good classes do):

1- The Rifle
    2- The Glass
    3- The Ammo
    4- The Shooter

$$$ can address 1-3, #4 might come quasi naturally, but more often through hours, days, months, years, of burning powder.

Do you reload? Do you plan on reloading?

IMO, just starting out, kind of hard to go wrong sourcing a serviceable (Sub-MOA) rifle, topping it with a mid-range value scope, buying/reloading some good ammo, and then start taking some classes and/or attending matches. The money you save from going this route vs. an expensive rifle system out of the gate will give you more trigger and field time, which is where skill development happens.

In the end, you get bit by the LR bug, you can then make better informed and educated decisions of higher quality/cost hardware.
    I really am just looking for slapping steel and get some small groups. I currently do not reload but I plan on reloading 308 and 300 win mag

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All in all the spread sheet is probably the best indicator on expense. If you can purchase your friends Remington reasonably enough it will save on the expense of a Mac M40A3 stock. If the barrel is due for a change that is time to determine how much you want to invest. Custom actions can quickly increase the cost of just Trueing & Blueprinting the 700 action it already has. Bottom line is that you can't go wrong starting with a Remington 700 action, it's currently one of the easiest to find parts & Smiths to work on. Definitely follow up on the estimated expenditures prior to investing. JMHO. Just remember that barrels are a readily consumable part of long distance shooting. .308 Win has a much longer barrel life than 300 Win Mag. https://www.snipercountry.com/best-long-range-rifles/

Last edited:

Bearmann556

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Did Y'all come to a compromise? Are you the proud owner of a Remington 700 in a MAC M40A3 stock?
    I ended up not being able to get the 700 in the m40a3 stock. My buddy decided to keep it. So now I’m pricing out parts on a new action, barrel and stock. I’ve always like the Macmillan stocks, so I will definitely get one of those. As for the action, I’m still up in the air.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I ended up not being able to get the 700 in the m40a3 stock. My buddy decided to keep it. So now I’m pricing out parts on a new action, barrel and stock. I’ve always like the Macmillan stocks, so I will definitely get one of those. As for the action, I’m still up in the air.
    Mac's Stocks require bedding, the current aluminium blocked stocks do just as well, don't take near the man hours so they cost less over time, and actually last longer with less Hassel while cleaning. As to the action, it's going to be hard to beat a push feed Remington 700 or 40X. JMHO. YMMV but it's going to cost a lot in trial & error to prove it to you. Ask any precision shooter how much they spent prior to determining/realizing the benefit of the Remington push feed action. There are so many cheap options that end up costing more as your abilities grow. Please just trust me this one time, start with a Remington 40X action or it's 700 Trued & Blueprinted Clone. Barrels come & Go, the Remington Action can stay forever. JMHO YMMV. Just Ask!!!! After all, it's only your Republic Credits that are spent in search of others experience...........

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    we have been using Kauger Arms from here in Hazlehurst, GA for several builds (10) lately an have been satisfied with them.
    here are 4 of the first 5 shots from my 6mm Dasher
    1st target b.jpg

it is one of the dual port benchrest actions and it has a 5R Rock Creek barrel.

I like the hooded recoil lug....it gives a real nice clean interface between the barrel and action..just 1 line unlike the 700 with the 3 steps.

Some of the actions come with 2 bolt faces. .223 size case and .30 size case. Wouldn't take but a few minutes to swap between 2 calibers

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    we have been using Kauger Arms from here in Hazlehurst, GA for several builds (10)) lately an have been satisfied with them.
    here are 4 of the first 5 shots from my 6mm Dasher
    View attachment 220047
    it is one of the dual port benchrest actions and it has a 5R Rock Creek barrel.

I like the hooded recoil lug....it gives a real nice clean interface between the barrel and action..just 1 line unlike the 700 with the 3 steps.

Some of the actions come with 2 bolt faces. .223 size case and .30 size case. Wouldn't take but a few minutes to swap between 2 calibers
    You are going to have to get a bit more explicit if you expect a novice to comprehend Jester. JMHO. Action type, modifications to stated action type, what shop performed those modifications at your request, why did you request those modifications to that action type. Please expound so that the pure in heart and folks with a couple of bucks in their pockets can comprehend and place a monetary value on such wisdom. THANKS. JMHO YMMV.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    monetary value of such wisdom? $.02

They are 700 clone type actions similar to say Bat, Curt, Defiance or similar, yet they just don't have their price tag. The better thing about them is they are probably in stock cutting down wait times you would experience with some of the others. The bolt head is pinned and interchangeable making caliber changes easier. The wait time on the most recent Bat Action was 8 months and the Curt was 7 months. Now the Bat Action is on its way to McMillan to build the stock to that specific action...another up to 12 month wait.

I am not knocking the trued 700 action, I have several. When truing one you could experience issues such as pre-extraction. Then you would need to rework the bolt handle depending on how much was cut to get it trued, so the pre-extraction lift is proper, along with the additional expense and time of that. Don't forget you may want to get the lock time faster so the firing pin and shroud may need to be replaced With the aftermarket action all of this has already been taken care of. You would just have to weigh the wait and cost to see where you came out better as mentioned above.

I'm sure most of that is Greek to a novice, but it is some important considerations for a build. Putting a custom stock on a rifle doesn't make it a custom rifle YMMV

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Something to read...

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    For some reason I thought the s/a & l/a were but their mini was proprietary.. I could be wrong.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom