• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    it looks lik it was based on a Sako action and the top radius of the action is the same as the 700...I was close:cool:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have thought about getting a mini and chamber it in 6.8 just to shoot deer and hogs @ 100-150

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I had and A1 style with a Stag barrel that was a real good shooter...someone offered my stupid money for it...so I let it go.
    I got it to replace the SKS for swamp hunting pigs.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    we have been using Kauger Arms from here in Hazlehurst, GA for several builds (10) lately an have been satisfied with them.
    here are 4 of the first 5 shots from my 6mm Dasher
    View attachment 220047
    it is one of the dual port benchrest actions and it has a 5R Rock Creek barrel.

I like the hooded recoil lug....it gives a real nice clean interface between the barrel and action..just 1 line unlike the 700 with the 3 steps.

Some of the actions come with 2 bolt faces. .223 size case and .30 size case. Wouldn't take but a few minutes to swap between 2 calibers
    WOW, did this get off tract from the PO's 1st question. Glad to see Kauger Arms didn't forget us "blessed ones" ie; left handers :D

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    WOW, did this get off tract from the PO's 1st question. Glad to see Kauger Arms didn't forget us "blessed ones" ie; left handers :D
    I believe it evolved from a simple twist rate quarry into a launch platform. (action type) We still have yet to enter the rifling type vs barrel length vs projectile vs distance equation. The oxen are slow but the earth is patient. Since the round starts before it enters the chamber, we need to move forward slowly and with small words until we reach the muzzle then we can discuss the acronyms of the big words related to trajectory. But since we can control what happens from chamber entry until muzzle exit, and only calculate what happens to the projectile once it leaves the muzzle, there may be a little meat left on this bone. JMHO YMMV. LOL. There was just honorable mention of the nut behind the butt that garnished fleeting mention in this thread.

Last edited:

Beached

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    One in ten is pretty much standard in todays rifles. Covers from 150 to 200 gr. Bullets.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One in ten is pretty much standard in todays rifles. Covers from 150 to 200 gr. Bullets.
    Every miss is a ten, pretty much the standard back in my day. 200 without an X, how many of those 20 round legs got you into the Winners Circle? We can talk distance at a later date. LOL.

Last edited:

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    More "monkey see , monkey do" from all US rifle manufactures, until about the late 70's ,early 80's when a young woman from AZ kicked ass and won the Nat. championship rifle silhouettes match , using a stock Rem 700. That started the surge in rifles designed for "stand on your hind legs" and shoot. It also got Ruger and Savage to offer heavy barrel rifles chambered in 308 with a 1-12 twist.
    And , true, today, the "bean counters" are running the Co.'s in the US building rifles so , back to the "one size fits all" and save $.02

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    More "monkey see , monkey do" from all US rifle manufactures, until about the late 70's ,early 80's when a young woman from AZ kicked ass and won the Nat. championship rifle silhouettes match , using a stock Rem 700. That started the surge in rifles designed for "stand on your hind legs" and shoot. It also got Ruger and Savage to offer heavy barrel rifles chambered in 308 with a 1-12 twist.
    And , true, today, the "bean counters" are running the Co.'s in the US building rifles so , back to the "one size fits all" and save $.02
    My Winchester is 1:12.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How many of you have ever over stabilized a bullet? Yes spin drift is a real thing but tends to become an issue at the ELR distances. I personally have run into not enough twist but never ran into an issue of too much.
    1-10” does a great job of stabilizing bullets up to 230 grains out of a 24” barrel. I’d take a 1-9” if I were shooting at a mile on the regular

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    if you over stabilize a bullet, it will cause the nose to lift slightly off the axis and cause a velocity lose
    1:10 will stabilize heavier bullets better...they are not that commonly used projectiles in a .308
    1:12 will stabilize a 175 gr bullet very well...one of the more common choices and more common in hunting rifles
    1:11.25 is a happy place. With its radius leading edge (5R) it could give you a little less drag which may equate to more velocity down range
    at times I think velocity increases may overcome some slight twist rate issues

My 700P is 1:12 I think

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The military testing proved that 1:11.25 optimized projectiles at military velocities from 147-175 grains. 1:10 produces extra spin drift which effects post 600 yard performance. At the 300 yard KD Line the effects of 1:10 or 1:11.25 are virtually unnoticeable. The 1:10 was originally for the 30-40 Krag with 220 grain projectiles. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-40_Krag

Top Bottom