• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bearmann556

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    So these days I’ve been having the itch for a 308 bolt gun. My buddy has one that I’m interested in, but I was curious about the barrel. It’s a 25” 1-13 twist 308 barrel. Just looking for some advice on what grain weight will stabilize in this barrel?

I primarily shoot Federal Gold Medal Match 175gr and 168gr from time to time.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Using Berger's stability calculator with the 175SMK it says Marginal Stability so I wouldn't expect great performance but you never know.

What did your friend say? What does he use?

Bearmann556

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Using Berger's stability calculator with the 175SMK it says Marginal Stability so I wouldn't expect great performance but you never know.

What did your friend say? What does he use?
    he says that he shoots 175gr and it is sub moa. But he only has access to a hundred yard range. So I’m curious to see how it shoots at 600.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    M118LR 175 SMK in a 22-26 inch barrel is optimized with a 1:11.25 twist. A 1:13 twist in 22-26 inch barrel isn't able to optimize M80 147 FMJ. This barrel & twist rate was optimized for .308 lightweight varmint projectiles. As to what will it stabilize, that is a function of what distance and projectile type you want to optimize. If you intend to shoot sub 150 grain .308 flat based spire points at 100 yards the 1:13 twist is going to be hard to beat. But 168 or 175 SMK's at 750 yards, not optimum. Perhaps some of the lighter weight Bergers at distance? If the barrel is close to end round count your going to need to change it anyway, so if you want to shoot 168 or 175 SMK'S you will only need to decide on which match chamber between the two and rebarrel with with a 5R 1:11.25 twist. In my experience. YMMV. PS the perfect time to blueprint and true the action is when changing the barrel. Since this is a friend to friend deal get an estimate of what a local smith is going to charge to R&R the barrel and he can lower the cost by half that amount. Even Steven. The cost of Blueprinting and Trueing the action is yours, but you won't be sorry later that you had those actions performed at the time when it is of the lowest cost. JMHO. YMMV. Until you've shot a blueprinted and Trued bolt action with a quality heavy bull barrel you won't know how well you can shoot. JMHO. At least you will know where to put the blame on something other than an XRing hit. LOL.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any local gun smiths you all would recommend?
    I've received a couple of references for precision rifle builders in your local area. I would expect that those same folks will be a long to give you their first hand knowledge in good time. I'd suggest you bide your time until they share. Think Y'all will find folks here are most agreeable when your sincere. I could recommend smiths on the far edge, but in your local area I have no hands on experience. I'd only ask that those members that advised me also share such information with you. Best of Luck, if it's only going to be one make it worth the experience. JMHO.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For what type of work?
    Think he is looking for Blueprinting & Trueing the action or at least R&Ring the barrel on a bolt action. Not sure what make/ style? But I believe his inquiry is genuine. But you may need to spoon-feed the proper questions to get relevant answers. I'm under the impression that he is a novice in the world of precision shooting. Be gentle, and you can beat on me at a later date.LOL. PS: Thanks for answering this call for help for another member.

Last edited:

Bearmann556

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Think he is looking for Blueprinting & Trueing the action or at least R&Ring the barrel on a bolt action. Not sure what make/ style? But I believe his inquiry is genuine. But you may need to spoon-feed the proper questions to get relevant answers. I'm under the impression that he is a novice in the world of precision shooting. Be gentle, and you can beat on me at a later date.LOL. PS: Thanks for answering this call for help for another member.
    Yes I am a novice in the Precision shooting world! Looking to dip my toes into it and have a good all around bolt gun. So I will take all the appropriate advice I can get.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes I am a novice in the Precision shooting world! Looking to dip my toes into it and have a good all around bolt gun. So I will take all the appropriate advice I can get.
    Best of you disclose make & model. Push feed vs Controlled Round Feed (CRF) equates to different smiths. YMMV.

Bearmann556

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    For what type of work?
    It would be a Remington 700 short action. I would like to true and blueprint it and have a barrel installed. I would buy a barrel blank but I know they have to have more work done to them, so someone that would be able to do that. The rifle is currently set up as an M40a3 clone

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It would be a Remington 700 short action. I would like to true and blueprint it and have a barrel installed. I would buy a barrel blank but I know they have to have more work done to them, so someone that would be able to do that. The rifle is currently set up as an M40a3 clone
    Is it bedded? What bedding was used? Have you got the USMC Manual? Does it sit in one of Mac's Stocks or a knockoff? Do you intend to go with a Target Crown or threading for a suppressor? Have you selected between 168 or 175 Match Chamber? Ranges over 750 yards don't bother with the 168 Match Chamber, go with the 175 M118 instead. JMHO. Lots of questions, Once you determine those answers I'll ask a couple more. Doing it once right takes a lot of leg work. But I'm sure we can put you on the proper path if we all work together. JMHO.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I had had it to do all over again I would spend my money on a custom action. There are tons of pre-fit barrels out now that fit the savage small shank threads. Aero is selling their action for $900. No need for a gunsmith, all you need is a vice and a torque wrench. The bolt gun world has become modular. If I were you I’d compare custom action vs blueprinted 700 on a spreadsheet with a calculator.

Top Bottom