• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Been looking at getting one for a little while and recently have gotten more serious. I have a few questions about the caliber. I have no real reason to have one other than the cool, just to say i got one factor.
    1. Is their a practical use for this caliber?
    2. Who has one and how much do you use it?
    3. What do you use it for?
    4. Which brand is the best for the money? $500 and under?

Please comment your expirences, mishaps, ETC. as I am on the fence whether or not to get one. Also if you know where their is a good deal on a good rifle please let me know... Thanks

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jeremt, I bought 1 a few years back (Marlin) and its a beast!!!! I love it, shoots wonderfully and that is me and Logan's squirrel killing gun. I have the bull barrell so it has a bit of weight to it, then I added a bi-pod. So we don't carry it around and shoot it off hand (I could not Logan). We shoot squirrels at 150 yards easy. Do a youtube search fer me JaiBo1313 or Logan (Logan2398) and you can see some of our work....I don't think the pics and videos are still on PFF since it's a little older...

Ammo is reasonable 50 rounds for 13-14 bucks (I use 17 grain Hornady) and w/ a decent scope you can cut your holes at 50 yards all day long....Of course during heavy winds, don't expect it to stay on tract over a distance. Louder then a 22, since its right about 2300 FPS....I have a Savage Mark II in 22 and it's got the accutrigger that I love too but the Marlin and Savage in 17 HMR are about the same $$$ (New a little over 3 bills last time I checked) You can get a CZ fer a bit more but the ratings say it's a better gun. 1 day get off your rear and come out to shoot sometime brother! Invite is always open!

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Buddy uses his for a truck gun for coyotes, possums, armadillos, crows and other pests

Doomsday

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    MH, if you don't already have a 17HMR you may want to consider the new Winchester 17 WSM. It is a rimfire coming out this spring. 3000fps with a 20g bullet and 2600 with 25g. Much better ballistics than 17HMR and 22 Mag. Do a quick google search and check it out. Savage has a new rifle being introduced for the round. It is called the Savage B-Mag. $349 MSRP, but expected to sell for around $299. I love my 22 Magnums, but this new round may take their place.

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    MH, if you don't already have a 17HMR you may want to consider the new Winchester 17 WSM. It is a rimfire coming out this spring. 3000fps with a 20g bullet and 2600 with 25g. Much better ballistics than 17HMR and 22 Mag. Do a quick google search and check it out. Savage has a new rifle being introduced for the round. It is called the Savage B-Mag. $349 MSRP, but expected to sell for around $299. I love my 22 Magnums, but this new round may take their place.

I really have no practical use for a .17 but I also know that the caliber isn't going anywhere... What I don't know is if the 17wsm will be a hit and stay around, if it makes it I might try it then. I already got off base with several other wildcats rounds that failed to launch and I was left with a useless gun that I had to practically give away because I refuse to reload... "Gonna start reloading shotgun shells I actually have a real life purpose for them" thanks for the info on it though.....

Ranger19

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think with so many manufacture's making them I think it will be around awhile. also just about all ammo companies are making it.
    It is an absolutehoot to shoot.

Urbanfuturistic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got one of these from Tradewinds for $219. It's pretty nice. I like it. I really just bought it so I could see what I could make go "poof" in the back yard. It gets the lemons good so far. I really want one of those BSA sweet 17 scopes for it. Note, the savage models have no sights. They are optics ready.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mullet I just sold 2 of them only because I didnt need 3. lol the .17 is about the most inherently accurate round i have ever had the pleasure of shooting. besides the fact that you can literally shoot 4 thumbtacks off a target stand at 100 yards it will absolutely Vaporize a crow with the 20 gr hollowpoints. if your looking for a gun thats an all around scream to shoot, look no farther. mine are all Marlin 917's in various configs. one note, if you plan on eating the limb rats...aim for the head. not much else left but pink mist if hit anywhere else.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Further technical note. the light round gets a little drifty past 250yds if wind above 5mph full value. never tried it past 250 personally but have heard of prairie dog shots being made at 300+ yards.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good Score !! Academy has Hornady .17 Hmr for around 100$ for 500 just bought 2 cans this week.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hopefully talk my wife into letting me pick one of these up this weekend, been wanting one for a while to, there is a marlin at the Walmart here I've had my eye in, $199. Pretty nice looking with a bullish looking barrel on it.

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Good Score !! Academy has Hornady .17 Hmr for around 100$ for 500 just bought 2 cans this week.

Yeah I picked up 750rnds today from academy, i will probably grab another 500 or so tomorrow. I also got some federal 20gr from the good guys at Jays guns... I love that place, just because it says $600 on a sticker doesn't mean you can't buy it for $450..... They have always taken care of me.

toma

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I drove to Pensacola from Crestview to get these and they were $129 + tax. No one knew anything about them costing $100. I got a box of them anyway since that wasn't too bad of a price.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I drove to Pensacola from Crestview to get these and they were $129 + tax. No one knew anything about them costing $100. I got a box of them anyway since that wasn't too bad of a price.

You are right I just looked at my receipt. 129$ for the Hornady and 99$ for Federal bulk pack. Hey, I said AROUND 100$ lol sell em on the ammo thread for 225$ j/k

toma

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    thats a big supply. There were 4 boxes when I got there yesterday and between me and two other guys we got em all and left spectators wanting to buy a .17hmr gun so they would have ammo to buy.

Top Bottom