• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Commercial silencers, that I'm aware of, don't let you swap out baffles. End caps and mounts are the common parts that are swappable. Besides suppression, I'm also concerned with size, weight and durability. A can that will take rifle rounds is going to be over built/large for a pistol. A baffle that's bored out to take .45 isn't going to be as effective on .224 bullets. The ability to swap out baffles would be the biggest step in all of this but, unless you're rolling your own, that's not an option.

The hybrid does a lot but that comes at a cost of not doing any one thing really well.

Ultimately it's up to the user to figure out what they want and what they're willing to pay for.

Most guys don't get one suppressor. If you're one of the few, good on you. Lots of guys have purchased a 30 cal can from me saying they just want the one. 3-6 months later there looking for a dedicated "x" or a can for a different platform.

Guys don't get into guns to only have one of anything.

Dan, what's the make on that holster?

Note, look up Liberty Cans their site shows a multi caliber can with multi guts.
    Ed

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Armordillo Concealment XFer
    2c212fe5738b7274707c5cf553c1fd1e.jpg

Dan, that was why my multi tube is titanium so I can use it for powerful handguns and powerful rifles well over the 308 in muzzle pressure. You need to plan a multi tube for use into the future. My Liberty is rated for a 5.56 and a lower pressure 6.5 Grendel, I do not like the low pressure restriction on pressures.
    Ed

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Is liberty selling separate cores?

Which can? I'm not seeing one with interchangeable guts.

Just looked back through this thread. We had this same conversation 2 years ago. The liberty mystic/cosmic is fine un less you want high power rifle rounds. They took 308 subsonic of the list of compatible rounds.

Liberty puts a big ass list of compatible calibers on their spec sheet to look good but all cans are multi caliber as long as the bullet fits thru the hole and can is rated for the appropriate pressures.

Having a tube and being able to swap out guts remedies some of my concerns but not all of them.

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Note, look up Liberty Cans their site shows a multi caliber can with multi guts.
    Ed

The baffles are the suppressor so they don't get swapped out, but the end caps and lids can be. If they gave you two sets of baffles it would require two stamps since tey ATF has ruled that owning a baffle is the same as owning a suppressor. Dumb I know.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The baffles are the suppressor so they don't get swapped out, but the end caps and lids can be. If they gave you two sets of baffles it would require two stamps since tey ATF has ruled that owning a baffle is the same as owning a suppressor. Dumb I know.

Thanks. It seems like some manufacturers have been pushng the limits lately. I wasn't sure if someone had started seeing individual cores.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks. It seems like some manufacturers have been pushng the limits lately. I wasn't sure if someone had started seeing individual cores.

It would be great if they would. It's a dumb rule since they aren't usable without a tube to house them. A tube with user replaceable lid, end cap, and baffles with different caliber baffles would be the heat.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It would be great if they would. It's a dumb rule since they aren't usable without a tube to house them. A tube with user replaceable lid, end cap, and baffles with different caliber baffles would be the heat.

Amen. Maybe if HPA goes somewhere that could be a reality.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    The Dbs on the Hybrid 46 with the proper caps seem to be right on with dedicated cans. It is big and heavy, but not much more than my 308 can and it'll likely stay on a long gun anyway, so the width isn't much of a concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I'd like to get my next can purchase underway soon, and long clear of HPA, the market will go dry for a long time if and when HPA goes through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    9mm AR primarily. Maybe 92G. Possibly 300 or 556, but as far as cans, I've found it's easiest to let them find a home and stay there. So.... Maybe the Hybrid is a stupid idea.

Last edited:

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Show me the writing.............. you can not register what is not numbered or described. The tube is registered because it is numbered, described and listed, not a washer. So according to you and your logic a washer is illegal, right........ Do you have any idea how dumb that sounds, go look in the mirror and tell yourself that owning a washer is illegal. Then go by NAPA or ACE and tell them.
    No one is getting away with anything or pushing any line or any envelope. As a matter of fact, the move is afoot right now to stop registering suppressors as a NFA item period.
    Ed

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Show me the writing.............. you can not register what is not numbered or described. The tube is registered because it is numbered, described and listed, not a washer. So according to you and your logic a washer is illegal, right........ Do you have any idea how dumb that sounds, go look in the mirror and tell yourself that owning a washer is illegal. Then go by NAPA or ACE and tell them.
    No one is getting away with anything or pushing any line or any envelope. As a matter of fact, the move is afoot right now to stop registering suppressors as a NFA item period.
    Ed

It took .91 seconds on google, I may be a dick at times, but I don't say something I can't stand behind. The bold is mine.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firear...-firearms-gun-control-act-definition-silencer

The term “Firearm Silencer” or “Firearm Muffler” means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

ETA: Would you like me to bring you a mirror?

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    unless you are at a public range or post pics or videos no one would know if you had a suppressor or how many. I am betting there are millions of undocumented suppressors out there. They sell the parts for a solvent trap then you drill the holes and it is a suppressor...oil can attachments have been around for 40+ years. Has anyone ever been asked for their stamp or documentation while hunting or at your private range?

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is a dumb rule. A baffle by any other name is still a silencer just the same. Sig lost this case. No tube, no end cap and no reduction in decibels when fired on/off the gun. Judges rule based on "well it could be made into a functional silencer". By that logic any SA firearm could be made into NFA RESTRICTED one also. It is gun grabber mentality to assign guilt to a object when there would need to be deliberate criminal activity to violate a Law. Dumb asses at all levels.

http://www.guns.com/2016/07/25/sig-loses-appeal-in-silencer-case/

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is a dumb rule. A baffle by any other name is still a silencer just the same. Sig lost this case. No tube, no end cap and no reduction in decibels when fired on/off the gun. Judges rule based on "well it could be made into a functional silencer". By that logic any SA firearm could be made into NFA RESTRICTED one also. It is gun grabber mentality to assign guilt to a object when there would need to be deliberate criminal activity to violate a Law. Dumb asses at all levels.

http://www.guns.com/2016/07/25/sig-loses-appeal-in-silencer-case/

Pretty sure I originally said it was a dumb rule, but that doesn't make it any less of a rule that is enforceable. I don't care what anyone does as long as it doesn't affect me.

BTW; for those saying it's not enforceable; it was just enforced two and a half months ago and he was set to be sentenced yesterday.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...rs-prison-illegally-making-selling-silencers/

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    unless you are at a public range or post pics or videos no one would know if you had a suppressor or how many. I am betting there are millions of undocumented suppressors out there. They sell the parts for a solvent trap then you drill the holes and it is a suppressor...oil can attachments have been around for 40+ years. Has anyone ever been asked for their stamp or documentation while hunting or at your private range?

Yep read the article above about solvent traps, a guy is sitting in federal prison over them. I think it's dumb as hell, but currently it's just not worth 10 years in federal pound me in the ass prison to try to bypass a $200 tax no matter how stupid I think the tax might be.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It took .91 seconds on google, I may be a dick at times, but I don't say something I can't stand behind. The bold is mine.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firear...-firearms-gun-control-act-definition-silencer

ETA: Would you like me to bring you a mirror?

So this is your interpretation of the ATF rules not the ATF agents interpretation of any rule. Now ater being told directly by multiple agents what the rule means, frankly your interpertation does not fly, nor is it even close to accurate.
    Ed.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So this is your interpretation of the ATF rules not the ATF agents interpretation of any rule. Now ater being told directly by multiple agents what the rule means, frankly your interpertation does not fly, nor is it even close to accurate.
    Ed.
    Are you that dense? It's not my interpretation, it's the legal definition and it's what they are prosecuting people for. Call Gemtech tomorrow and ask them to sell you a baffle stack and see what they tell you. Make a baffle stack, I don't care, but playing with stuff you're ignorant of is just dumb.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY*
    BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO AND*FIREARMS*
    WASHINGTON, DC 20226*

AUG 23 1999*

901040:GS*
    5320/99-0115*