• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When you fill out the Form 1 the listed manufacturer of the suppressor is you, your Trust, Corp., etc. The exterior tube is the registered item, has the serial number, one caliber, name and address of the manufacturer. You as the maker have all of the rights of any other maker. Today, there are many makers of multicaliber cans. All you need do is build the can with a strong tube, like titanium, with multiple sets of screw in end caps and sets of baffles of different calibers. My last build, includes multiple baffles and end cap sets I keep the sets on stainless wire leader loops. I have a .224, .308, and a .358 set for my Form 1 build. The caliber on the tube is middle of the road, a .308 listed.........

You do not have to be a rocket scientist to build a can, there is a company on-line, SD Tactical, that sells the pieces and parts for a build including a titanium interior threaded tube and the end caps plus baffles, you just do the drilling of the holes after you get your approval on the Form 1.
    Ed

That SD Tactical you mention is Pretty interesting -- http://youtu.be/rY1sOx5-Jjs

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    So does anybody have first hand knowledge of a home brew can. Anybody ever shot one next to a commercial can to compare?

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Youtube has a bunch of vids on homegrown stuff. There are also kits that are designed to capture the cleaning compounds, lead and copper from your barrel. There are other types of kits out there too. Any modification of these without NFA approval would be illegal. BATFE also loves the term constructive possession. You should be familiar with how they apply it so you stay clean.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The ATF says exactly the opposite, you, as the manufacturer, under the Form 1 may change the internals of the registered can, at any time, without any additional ATF filing or notification of any kind.

My Form 1 can tube shows it to be a 30 caliber, but the ATF does not consider 30 caliber VS 9mm internals to be important as long as the can permenent markings and the entered data on the registration form match, then the manafacturer can change the internals. This ability to change out and take apart by the way, gives you multiple calibers and the ability to clean the can internals, makes a 22 LR can possible, after building a center fire can.......

The ATF requires a manafacturer to indicate a single caliber to be marked on the can for Form 1 filing purposes.

Liberty makes a single caliber marked can that is sold with multiple caliber inserts. There are other makers doing the same thing. I do not own one of that model but I do own a Liberty Torch, a QC can. It is a 6.5mm can registered as a 5.56 built as a 5.56 then changed to a 6.5mm. I also have a Form 1 can that I built with SD Tactical componets in 3 calibers. The cans all function alike. Oh, my built can is much stronger as it is a titanium can and cost me $60, end caps and baffles extra.

I recently purchased a forming tool and a ten ton press to alter my baffles by giving them a double curved face. It is just a tweek for my builds.
    Ed

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    So does anybody have first hand knowledge of a home brew can. Anybody ever shot one next to a commercial can to compare?

My Form 1 .22 suppressor has been fired side by side by my .22 Gen I Sparrow suppressor. To everyone's ears, the Sparrow was SLIGHTLY quieter, but my Form 1 has been the equal of a few other .22 suppressors fired next to it over the years since it was made.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sounds like SilencerCo found this thread and decided "Hey, let's make a suppressor for THAT guy" and came up with the Hybrid 46. Or maybe they stole my idea, either way, I'll take it! Lol.
    Anyone here have experience with one?
    6b4e95d09e4934a0901989d8082aabc0.jpg

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Just my opinion....

I wouldn't bother unless you're absolutely, 100%, no take backs... Sure that you're only going to have one suppressor.

It's too many trade offs.

The best cost/performance for multiple cans/platforms is a dedicated 22 can, .45 pistol can, .308 can.

If you're into calibers over .308/.300, you're most likely not going to care as much about getting a dedicated can. If you really want to suppress your lever gun.... Get the hybrid but don't expect it to be awesome at everything.

Just my opinion.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Nate, I trust and respect you and your opinion. Since I have a rifle can, should I get one of the modular 45s instead? Obsidian comes to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I haven't had hands on experience with the obsidian. I've heard good stuff but can't back it up. Unless you want dedicated pistol cans, I think a good.45 can is the way to go to cover all your bases.

With regards to pistol cans. They're fun to shoot but I've soured a little on cans on a handgun. They're just cumbersome and you can't do anything with them besides hold them or put them on a flat surface. If there was a decent holster option available I'd be a much bigger fan.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've not seen one that will let you keep the can on without giving you a "Nicholson's Joker draw stroke".
    images.jpg

Crye had one for glocks that is as close as I've seen to what is like but it's still not quite what I'm looking for.

Attachments

• images.jpg
      images.jpg
      8.5 KB · Views: 164

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just my opinion....

I wouldn't bother unless you're absolutely, 100%, no take backs... Sure that you're only going to have one suppressor.

It's too many trade offs.

The best cost/performance for multiple cans/platforms is a dedicated 22 can, .45 pistol can, .308 can.

If you're into calibers over .308/.300, you're most likely not going to care as much about getting a dedicated can. If you really want to suppress your lever gun.... Get the hybrid but don't expect it to be awesome at everything.

Just my opinion.

So Nate explain the difference when you take the multi caliber can apart and replace the end caps plus baffles with .308 parts VS the .224 parts, then replace the .308 parts with .358 or .452 parts. What exactly causes the loss of performance VS six individual cans, one for each caliber, in your experiance, what is the actual difference beside spending thousands VS a few hundred.
    By the way, I do not ever store cans on any of my guns the cans are always stored seperately. I do not accept keeping a can on a gun as an excuse to have multiple cans. The extra parts are on a stainless steel heavy leader wire loop with a plastic card IDing them.
    Ed

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I'm also a bit skeptical of the utility of dedicated pistol cans like a 45 since it does make the platform extend just as far as a small carbine or SBR would. That's part of the reason I'm interested in the hybrid, that if I end up not using it on handguns much, I can run it on a rifle (556, 300, x39, or even 458), whereas a 45 or 9mm can is usually only safe for 300 subs. It also comes with a 30 cal fixed mount, so it can go on any of my current rifles out of the box. The interchangeable end caps seem to get the db readings comparable to caliber specific offerings, at only 8", so the only trade off seems to be weight. Unless I'm missing something.
    Here's the holster I mentioned:
    a2d2080daef9f84ae719cf1f952f52b0.jpg

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Having said that, the Omega 9K would cover all of my current bases since it's rated for 300 supers, but it is on the loud side due to its size.
    My big issue is that if I don't use my next purchase on pistols much, but it can't do 300 supers, or even worse, if I get out of 300blk altogether, I'll have no use for it at all.
    If I'm honest though, it'll probably live on my 9mm AR, in which case the 9K would do just fine and be smaller. And here I was thinking I had it all figured out. Lol.

Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Commercial silencers, that I'm aware of, don't let you swap out baffles. End caps and mounts are the common parts that are swappable. Besides suppression, I'm also concerned with size, weight and durability. A can that will take rifle rounds is going to be over built/large for a pistol. A baffle that's bored out to take .45 isn't going to be as effective on .224 bullets. The ability to swap out baffles would be the biggest step in all of this but, unless you're rolling your own, that's not an option.

The hybrid does a lot but that comes at a cost of not doing any one thing really well.

Ultimately it's up to the user to figure out what they want and what they're willing to pay for.

Most guys don't get one suppressor. If you're one of the few, good on you. Lots of guys have purchased a 30 cal can from me saying they just want the one. 3-6 months later there looking for a dedicated "x" or a can for a different platform.

Guys don't get into guns to only have one of anything.

Dan, what's the make on that holster?

Top Bottom