• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunslinger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are dozens of lights, all are made in China, some are private branded, I have them from 110 lumen to 3800 lumen personally. Some of mine have the cree modules that interchange the color, white, blue, green, red. All use the 18690 batteries and I run them between 2400MaH and 5000 MaH. I am a light freak and have too many, even my headlamps are 2000+ lumen...lol

Lets see the last one I bought was from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010DHZ78Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

The light manufacturers in China will work with you on spec and private label for less quantity than you think, same with MDVR's, lots of fun stuff.

Dang 2000 lumens that dude must get hot?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nope, not even the 3800 lumen gets hot, the bodies dissipate the heat very well..All I care about is light, when I want to see I want to see, what is the purpose otherwise? lol

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Same as Frank here. I have a headlamp that is 2000L ... cost <$20. shipped. That came with two 18650 batts and a 2 batt charger.

I have several 3800L and one 4800L flashlight. All of them were <$25. shipped. All of them came with 2 18650 batts and 2 batt charger for that price.

About a year ago I found a deal on small flashlights. They will quite easily drop down sideways inside my cargo leg pockets on my hunting pants. These lights put out 1200L. I got 5 of them (no batts or charger) for $15. shipped.

I bought a bunch of 18650 batts. They are between 3200 and 6000mAH. They were about $1.50 each. They are rechargeable.

ALL the above lights have several different power settings(high,med,low) including a strobe function. When I want light ..... I WANT LIGHT !! The brighter the better ... the whiter the better. For whatever reasons,the Americans can not compete. My business goes to China. Same with the CR123's that operate my thermal. I get them from an American company,however they are made in China. I buy them in packs of 50 for $.93 each.

Sorry America. Guess it's time for you to wise up. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Same as Frank here. I have a headlamp that is 2000L ... cost <$20. shipped. That came with two 18650 batts and a 2 batt charger.

I have several 3800L and one 4800L flashlight. All of them were <$25. shipped. All of them came with 2 18650 batts and 2 batt charger for that price.

About a year ago I found a deal on small flashlights. They will quite easily drop down sideways inside my cargo leg pockets on my hunting pants. These lights put out 1200L. I got 5 of them (no batts or charger) for $15. shipped.

I bought a bunch of 18650 batts. They are between 3200 and 6000mAH. They were about $1.50 each. They are rechargeable.

ALL the above lights have several different power settings(high,med,low) including a strobe function. When I want light ..... I WANT LIGHT !! The brighter the better ... the whiter the better. For whatever reasons,the Americans can not compete. My business goes to China. Same with the CR123's that operate my thermal. I get them from an American company,however they are made in China. I buy them in packs of 50 for $.93 each.

Sorry America. Guess it's time for you to wise up. --- SAWMAN

Holly shit 6000mah 18650 that's just crazy, wow

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Highest mAh 18650 battery is 3600mAh (they don't get No Higher than this), with the most average (highest rated) is 3400mAh. Those 5000 and 6000mAh 18650's on eBay or elsewhere are not truly 5-6000mAh and are based purely on pulse discharge ratings or fabricated.
    http://best18650battery.com/

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    yeah I know but it makes me feel good and that is ALL that counts. The Panasonic 3000MaH are the best I have found but then I pay very little for most of them so have plenty to keep chunking in the lights.

Bugsy36

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow. Lots of misinformation about flashlights.

Gunslinger was just trying to help and look out for 'yas. I guess I will go load some 45+P++++ fyi, I have an ebay scale and book that shows I can drop 40 gr of powder in 45ACP loads. ;)

Sorry to have bothered you all

Gunslinger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Highest mAh 18650 battery is 3600mAh (they don't get No Higher than this), with the most average (highest rated) is 3400mAh. Those 5000 and 6000mAh 18650's on eBay or elsewhere are not truly 5-6000mAh and are based purely on pulse discharge ratings or fabricated.
    http://best18650battery.com/[/

OK that explains it , for a second there I thought Google was broke .

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Several 'thoughts".

1. I am not a flashlight performance "GURU" but would surely be willing to learn from one. As one can see I have not come out with one single "BULLSHIT" in this entire thread. I am learning.
    2. The numbers that I have listed in my above post are the numbers as stated on the item or packaging. I do not have the sophisticated equipment to check for mAH or lumen output. (Don't know the ACTUAL horsepower that my truck puts out,the ACTUAL temperature of my oven in the kitchen,the ACTUAL outside temperature,or the ACTUAL time of day it is either.)
    3. I have friends that own and use some of them $200. Surefire lights. All i know is that my $12. rechargeable,with battery and with charger,puts out waaaaaay more light than their light and lasts waaaaaay longer putting out that light.
    4. I have had one of my lights(China) go bad after just 5 or so hours of usage. I quite easily tossed it in the trash. My loss was about $5.00. I have had two 18650 batts not work after I had dropped them onto my concrete garage floor. (Did ya'll know that these batts actually have a small circuit with a small wire in them ??) My loss was about $1.50 each. All the above in the last 3 years or so.
    5. My usage IS NOT warfare,kicking down doors or hitting the BG on the head with my lights. My lights are not subjected to harsh environments. I do not scuba with my lights down to 99ft. I have had my lights rained on and they still work. I leave a small light (1200L) out on the table that is on my covered deck when it is down to 29deg and it still comes on and produces ....... uhhhhhhh ...... "really bright" light. BTW,I have not changed it's battery(1,18650)in about 3 months.
    6. And finally to you Bugsy. --> I would agree,there is lots of misinformation about flashlights. Same for guns,ammo,reloading.etc. I try to weed out the blatant stuff. I am still trying to learn. Please don't get disgusted with me and quit teaching. Please don't try to put 40grs of powder into those 45ACP loads or you will most likely experience massive case bulge. Stick around and you just might learn something also. That's if you are willing to do some "weeding" of your own. --- SAWMAN
    Edit To Add: BTW ..... I really do not believe that the gas milage on them new truck window stickers are "actual" either.

Last edited:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bottom line is that I'm pretty sure most of us have the sense to be discriminating consumers. We know advertised specifications open to interpretation and don't tell the whole story.

I'm no flashlight snob, I do buy them fairly often because I try to keep one within reach anywhere in the house, my shop and in all vehicles. I'm going to read back through here and find out what the best deal is.

As for batteries, due to my hobbies and interests I've had to get a good education on them. I have around $1500 just in computerized battery chargers and analyzers so I've done a bit of testing.

First, there aren't that many battery manufacturers out there. There are many rebranders. Depending on battery chemistry (type) the differences come from pretesting and additional steps taken before packaging. These specs are open to interpretation and the various parameters may or may not be pertinent to application. A flashlight just isn't going to be that critical. It's a steady draw. I'm going to cut this short by saying that I've spent probably 10's of thousands of dollars in 4+ decades on batteries. I only buy the best for my critical applications, a flashlight ain't one of them unless you're a first responder or depend on them in a harsh, life or death situation. I'll buy the cheapos in quantity and replace without remorse.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well said SAWMAN. Though I've had a 4Sevens Quark Turbo for several years now that has shined for me, I don't really burn too bright regarding flashlight specifics. I'm amped that this thread has been quite enlightening with a brilliantly illuminating throw of info at the dim bulb that is otherwise my knowledge of them.

Last edited:

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow, I never knew people were so into flashlight performance...

I get the free one's (with coupon) from Harbor Freight! Must have 15 0r 20 of them around the house. They give off enough light for me and when one dies I throw it out without even thinking about it and pick up a new one. Haven't even ever put batteries in one. Seems like you guys are over thinking this.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    And ----> some good bright lights can be had also if you go to AMAZON and check out the lights designed for bicycle riders. This is where I got my 2000L headlamp from. It takes two 18650's.

That is also where I got some of the bright red and white strobe lights that we put on downed hogs until we can go get the truck or buggy to get them out of the woods. --- SAWMAN

Bugsy36

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I guess what got to me was that you have a fellow forum member that is excited about something and to me it looked like he was just ridiculed. I have no affiliation or association with Gunslinger other than he is also a BLF member. Unfortunately the internet spreads a lot of misinformation that people accept as truth. To me that follows the same thinking that people used when they purchased Ravens and the like. Moreover, there really are no checks and balances for outrageous and false claims made by online retailers.

As an FYI...most genuine 3vdc LED CREE emitters only output about a 350 lumens for every amp supplied. Some are changing the efficiency ratio but that is too technical for this conversation.

It is true that as long as you have enough light for your needs that you do not need anything else. It is also true that as long as you are happy with what you are using then again you do not need anything else. Then again, whether some realize it or not there are people that are having batteries blow-up or ignite (leaving behind a heavy gas that causes immediate and permanent lung damage), chargers that will not turn off, etc. Basically people are too complacent and ignorant with modern flashlights to learn that they have changed since that old Ray-O-Vac with a alkaline batteries. Same with cell phones and laptops.

I assume that many of you have several pieces of steel, alloy, and polymer. I highly doubt that everyone is still carrying the SW mod.10 M&P. Why? Simply put because we now have better. Smaller, bigger, lighter, heavier. Whatever we need for our purpose. Well the same goes with flashlights. Mag-Lite and Streamlight are here to stay but they are no longer the only game in town. My current occupation has me using flashlights and headlamps 40 hours a week. My company used to supply the SL...and still does to some people. I can say from experience they can keep their over-priced and seriously outdated stuff.

The light that Gunslinger was raving about has a lot of merit. Not only is it as capable if not more so than the names you are all familiar with but it is a light that has been vetted and made available for $20. You cannot even buy a Mini-Mag for that....and cheaper that most firearm mags that we use. His urgency comes about due to the way the light came about. There are several people over there that take stock lights and modify them. Then there are several people that are constantly reviewing and vetting products (with no compensation), and there are a couple of groups that take what look to be the most viable and popular and then get the manufacturers to manufacture to our specs. That process can take from 6 mos to a year. The purpose is to get factory modded lights to the people that do not modify lights, and for cheaper cost than buying parts and pieces. Does any of this sound familiar? The point that Gunslinger was trying to convey was that these runs are limited. In this case the LuckySun BLF D80-SE only has a run of 1000. When they are gone they are gone and the only way to get another is modify a stock version.

Unless requested I will not give a review on this light but I can assure you all that none of the lights mentioned from Ebay, Amazon, etc are in the same category as these. Just like there is no way to compare a striker fired Smith to a Davis. ;)

Sawman, sir - What do ya mean I can't drop 40gr in a 45acp shell? Come on now? Depending on the steel, I guess there may be one shot taken. I did once, when I was heavy into practice, have a friend make an oops and double charge a bunch of rounds. It took a few minutes to realize what the hell happened. Good thing we had good quality steel like Colt and Ruger and no Lama etc. The P90 dropped its mag after every shot but the Colt kept right on going and snapped like a 10. The best part - No damage to either. ;)

Top Bottom