• indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Article didn't say whether or not anybody at the armory ever sold these cans unopened

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Article didn't say whether or not anybody at the armory ever sold these cans unopened
    According to law they could not be sold to he public unopened ( :( )

But I would not rat you out..

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Also, it says they painted the outside of these steel cans... but not the inside. After heating these cans, with that kind of heat, you'd think there'd be rust inside on the unpainted surfaces. I know rust needs oxygen to form, and there were O2 absorbers in the cans, but surely they didn't completely eliminate the O2. I bet a lot of these guns that were sent to be melted in unopened cans were unopened for a reason. I bet it was a real sorry sight in those cans

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211213-002234_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20211213-002234_Chrome.jpg
      375.6 KB · Views: 58

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also, it says they painted the outside of these steel cans... but not the inside. After heating these cans, with that kind of heat, you'd think there'd be rust inside on the unpainted surfaces. I know rust needs oxygen to form, and there were O2 absorbers in the cans, but surely they didn't completely eliminate the O2. I bet a lot of these guns that were sent to be melted in unopened cans were unopened for a reason. I bet it was a real sorry sight in those cans
    Interesting thought, who knows, other cans have had their contents survive harsher conditions.. with unpainted inside surfaces.

Now this is some crazy stuff :) but a great example of unpainted cans survival. Viddy well

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Wow. The video of those guys inspecting that can they found appeared to be ones similar to the load outs the Germans came ashore with and sabotaged America with. It was said somewhere I forget, but they had fake coal lumps they'd plant explosives in and then mix that into real coal on trains. Along with the time delay detonator also in the can I bet that's exactly what they used to blow up Black Tom Island. I remember reading how German spies were landed here via submarines and where later caught. But they had all sorts of gear hidden buried at the beach. It was reported they found it. But didn't say how it was packaged. I wonder if these are what they had buried also. It was painful to watch them demill that revolver lol. But yeah I'd love to live in an area where that sort of stuff can still be found. I'd be out there daily digging lol

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Wow. The video of those guys inspecting that can they found appeared to be ones similar to the load outs the Germans came ashore with and sabotaged America with. It was said somewhere I forget, but they had fake coal lumps they'd plant explosives in and then mix that into real coal on trains. Along with the time delay detonator also in the can I bet that's exactly what they used to blow up Black Tom Island. I remember reading how German spies were landed here via submarines and where later caught. But they had all sorts of gear hidden buried at the beach. It was reported they found it. But didn't say how it was packaged. I wonder if these are what they had buried also. It was painful to watch them demill that revolver lol. But yeah I'd love to live in an area where that sort of stuff can still be found. I'd be out there daily digging lol

Read the book "Sage". He was a WW2 spec ops guy on our side who mixed plastic explosive into the shape of horse turds and left it in piles of crap on the road to blow off German tank tracks. Cool guy. I got an autographed copy. They're pretty common around South Alabama. He was a local and he did a public school speaking tour for the kids every now and then

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yeah they could do alot with explosives even back then. There was even a Aunt Jemima pancake mix version. U could cook and even eat it. Then later use the same stuff to blow a bridge down lol. Pretty amazing tho how well it was disguised. You'd think it would kill ya if eaten.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    o. It was painful to watch them demill that revolver lol

Man I missed that, wow that brought me down. Was to busy looking for stampings and the such. Could see the detonator's and such.. But there was no call to do that to the pistol...

Thought it neat the Germans burying a French pistol in a post war stash. Heck of a story in the travels of that gun.. I hope the sick SOB with the drill can sleep at night after that.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Man I missed that, wow that brought me down. Was to busy looking for stampings and the such. Could see the detonator's and such.. But there was no call to do that to the pistol...

Thought it neat the Germans burying a French pistol in a post war stash. Heck of a story in the travels of that gun.. I hope the sick SOB with the drill can sleep at night after that.
    Yeah. In some areas there in Europe I've heard that simply owning a 9mm casing can land you in jail lol. And other areas have strict laws on what ya can and can't own as far as guns. So depending on where it was found if they want to keep it they have to destroy them basically first or risk going to jail. Really sad. I've seen magnet fishers and metal detector guys find near pristine MP-40s etc in mud etc that look nearly brand new. Sad to know that later they'll be demilled. So makes ya wonder about the rogue relic hunters find and what they do with the guns they find. Surely there's some sort of under ground market for functional ones there. Surely they all don't get destroyed. I'm sure some old timer has a house full of fully auto toys he's found over the years lol. Saw one video where a old German guy had a Tiger tank hidden in his basement and got arrested lol. So yeah makes ya wonder

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Yeah. In some areas there in Europe I've heard that simply owning a 9mm casing can land you in jail lol. And other areas have strict laws on what ya can and can't own as far as guns. So depending on where it was found if they want to keep it they have to destroy them basically first or risk going to jail. Really sad. I've seen magnet fishers and metal detector guys find near pristine MP-40s etc in mud etc that look nearly brand new. Sad to know that later they'll be demilled. So makes ya wonder about the rogue relic hunters find and what they do with the guns they find. Surely there's some sort of under ground market for functional ones there. Surely they all don't get destroyed. I'm sure some old timer has a house full of fully auto toys he's found over the years lol. Saw one video where a old German guy had a Tiger tank hidden in his basement and got arrested lol. So yeah makes ya wonder

Huge black market there. And a lot of it went for top dollar to Afghanistan and Iraq and Iran. Whole warehouses full of WW2 small arms were confiscated by US there in the desert

Last edited:

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yeah I remember seeing photos of confiscated weapons from Iraq etc. Piles of em. They even had blackpowder boarding pistols.. the multi barrel crowfeet kind lol. All sorts of guns. Totally forgot about that

ctc1066

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Read the book "Sage". He was a WW2 spec ops guy on our side who mixed plastic explosive into the shape of horse turds and left it in piles of crap on the road to blow off German tank tracks. Cool guy. I got an autographed copy. They're pretty common around South Alabama. He was a local and he did a public school speaking tour for the kids every now and then
    Who was the author? I tried to google the book title but came up with all but the book.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Who was the author? I tried to google the book title but came up with all but the book.
    Sage himself. I paid like $5 in Gulf Shores in 2008. Don't pay $50 unless you want to. It pre-dates the internet and Google, so just gotta know what to look for.
    Screenshot_20220201-035544_Chrome.jpg

Top Bottom