• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • statdoc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Obviously tampons must be a great idea, and we are foolish not to keep them handy in the ED. I suppose I should also get them issued for all the ambulances. Sure am glad I read this thread. I got busy, doing all that Emergency doctor stuff, and missed out on this education.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Gunslinger816

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I understand what you're saying...but....in my field of work we wear vests...I'm I'm bleeding out from a GSW to my chest, that's on me. The tampons are for me to plug a through and through and get back in the fight...that's right I'll stick a tampon in my partner or in my own leg to buy me sometime..and if that doesn't work I'm gonna strap a CAT tourniquet on whatever extremity and hopefully continue to throw lead at the shit head trying to send me to meet my maker.

So, I understand your statement...but you have to understand our dilemma. I'm not dying in a shithole...not without a tourniquet and a tampon and a pile of hot brass.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As long as you're using them on yourself - have at it. Just curious - are you guys first responders, EMTs, Paramedics, RNs, PAs, DOs, MDs, or just LEOs?

What I don't think you guys are considering - is that introducing an object into a wound might actually make the bleed worse - and kill you.

Say for example, you get that "through & through" GSW to the thigh. Wanting to stay in the fight - rather than apply a trauma dressing to the exterior of the wound and utilize a tourniquet as needed - you stuff a plastic applicator (much larger in diameter than that hole from a 9mm or even a 45 cal bullet) and force in a tampon.

In the process, you rip open the previously only nicked femoral artery that was developing a nice clot - you then proceed to see you thigh swell up to the size of the largest watermelon you've ever seen (just before you lose consciousness - and arrest).

External pressure bandages - yes. Blind insertion of tampons - uh, no thanks.

Last edited:

Gunslinger816

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can't speak for signal...I'm no Medic...and far from the prestigious title of an MD. But, I kinda think this turned into something far from what it was intended.

Yes, I know...I can't shove a tampon into a 22 hell probably even a 9mm hole...and it definitely won't do me any good with buckshot ; ) we are LEOs. And finally our agencies have come around to see that maybe we don't have everything...I'm not looking to run around and play paragod.

This thread was started just to see if anyone had some extra gear they weren't using...that's it. I have some, but there's many things I don't have. You gotta think...there's a good amount of time where if we do have a officer down that its just us...as much as EMS wants to come in, they can't until the scenes secure...so until that happens or said officer can be moved to another location...it's on us...that's the point...we should be more prepared and we aren't. I for one, am gonna make sure I'm as prepared a possible to make sure I see my family again...and that my brothers like signal see theirs...whether the old tampon "plug" is orthodox or not. Is it gonna be the first thing i try? No...but it's there...

So, while medical directors, and paramedics, and whoever else sits around and wanders what in the world I was thinking...they gotta remember, I was thinking. And until I can be issued said Doctors, medics, RNs to ride in my passenger seat I'm gonna have to stick with what I have...what's with me when that chaotic moment strikes and the nightmare becomes a reality. It's easy for you guys to doubt it...but I'm not gonna wonder if I coulda done more.

Thanks for your input, and I'm glad there are people on here with your knowledge... Hope you fellas enjoy ur weekend...I'm crashing, gotta do it all again tonight..

PS if y'all have any extra gear, by all means shoot me a PM

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The tampon thing was taught to me at ALERRT in Mobile, as well as High Risk Search Warrants in Meridian MS.
    They explained that its based on real world info coming back from AFG/Iraq.
    As GS explained I am LE also.
    I am going to have everything I can think of with me to stay in the fight.
    I'm one of those guys that has 5 guns with me at work, and around 1K rounds of ammo.
    You know how many cops I know that come to work with only whats on their belt?
    We can sit here and argue this all day, but like I said before, you do it your way, and Ill do it mine.

statdoc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guys, when you decide you want to stop being so defensive, and perhaps learn from someone who wants to teach you, let me know.

I have written a book on this. I travel all over the country teaching it. I am not some guy who heard it from somebody else.

And I am not Jesus or Phil Robertson. I hope to God you stay safe.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I trolled around a lot worse places than Pensacola where people were actually trying to blow me up and never considered using tampons. Israeli bandages are inexpensive, purpose designed and proven to work. The same with a CAT-T.
    Tampons fill the wound with fibers, blossom when they are full and create more work for medical folks trying to save you and ultimately create more pain because of the cleaning process to remove the fibers.
    Just because they are designed to absorb blood, doesn't mean they are designed, intended or recommended to use in an open wound. Clumping kitty litter is designed to absorb and form clots, but I haven't heard anyone recommending using it as a replacement for quick clot.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've been down range a few times. Never used a tampon. Holes were either too small or too big. Combat Gauze, regular Kerlix, pressure bandages or tourniquets work best. Just my .02 worth.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hell show you how much training I have had in the service they only taught direct pressure and the celephane off a cig pack for a sucking chest wound. Then there was the pressure pionts to stop bleeding under your arm and in your legs. The class was at least 2 hours long. I have wished we had gotten some better training.

statdoc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hell show you how much training I have had in the service they only taught direct pressure and the celephane off a cig pack for a sucking chest wound. Then there was the pressure pionts to stop bleeding under your arm and in your legs. The class was at least 2 hours long. I have wished we had gotten some better training.
    The training you got was what was standard once upon a time. Over the past 8-10 years, things have changed dramatically. We actually have data to prove that some of the old protocols actually caused more deaths than saves. Our techniques are much more science driven than before.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Statdoc,thank goodness. I can tell just by reading on here that training is alot better. Don't know much about what you are saying alot of the time but I can tell who has been there and done that so to speak. Keep up the good work .

Top Bottom