• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunslinger816

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Trying to stock a trauma kit for work. Looking for several different things or whole kits.

Let me know what you have, or if you know a decent place to acquire it.

Located in Pensacola, FL

Gunslinger816

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will...I go back tonight, so I will see what I can find. You work tonight? If so I will show you the new trauma kits they issued us...you'll get a good laugh

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im off.
    Cant be worse than ours. Its all in a ziplock bag......and its not considered a trauma kit. Just 1st aid.

Just ask the crew for parts for a GSW.
    Each time you will get a little bit here and there.
    The only part of my kit I bought was the tourniquet and tampons.

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice!!
    I just grab 4x4's, tape, gauze wraps, gloves, trauma shears, Vaseline gauze. The tampons I bought, they were like 100 for $4 or something. And I had to buy my CAT. $20 of ARF EE.
    I keep a little kit hair banded together in my cargo pocket. The rest is in the truck.

Be sure and get some training on how to use it too. I know you know how to tourniquet. ;-)

Gunslinger816

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea, I've done it a few times...lmao. Unfortunately in the polys there's nowhere to keep anything...I gotta figure out a way to fix that.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think I would rather go with a pad, the idea of shoving a tampax in a bullethole sounds painful as hell, but it would be good on the stopping the bleeding end of it

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think I would rather go with a pad, the idea of shoving a tampax in a bullethole sounds painful as hell, but it would be good on the stopping the bleeding end of it

If you are alive to know youve been shot, things really arent as bad as they seem......I read that somewhere.

But according to most stuff coming back from Afghanistan/Iraq, bleeding out is the number 1 cause of death. LE had started changing its whole philosophy for trauma care, falling more inline with .mil stuff. Its going slow in this area, but we are slowly making headway.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just remember - in GSWs to the upper body, bleeding out occurs internally (into the chest cavity). Shoving a tampon in the hole WILL NOT keep you from bleeding out. It could actually cause a tension pneumothorax by preventing air leaking from the lungs into the chest from being able to escape...

Travon was incapacitated in seconds and bled out in a minute or so from a single GSW to the chest that passed through his heart. Almost no blood was visible outside the body but his chest cavity was full of blood. Had the shooting occurred in the parking lot of a Trauma Center, he still would have had little to no probability of survival and would have required aggressive resuscitation techniques including a thoracotomy, with internal cardiac massage ( squeezing the heart with your hand inside the patient's chest ) - as well as the consideration of using cardiopulmonary bypass (heart-lung machine) in the Trauma room.

If you suffer a chest wound - surgery is what you need - as soon as possible, not a tampon in the hole...

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just remember - in GSWs to the upper body, bleeding out occurs internally (into the chest cavity). Shoving a tampon in the hole WILL NOT keep you from bleeding out. It could actually cause a tension pneumothorax by preventing air leaking from the lungs into the chest from being able to escape...

Travon was incapacitated in seconds and bled out in a minute or so from a single GSW to the chest that passed through his heart. Almost no blood was visible outside the body but his chest cavity was full of blood. Had the shooting occurred in the parking lot of a Trauma Center, he still would have had little to no probability of survival and would have required aggressive resuscitation techniques including a thoracotomy, with internal cardiac massage ( squeezing the heart with your hand inside the patient's chest ) - as well as the consideration of using cardiopulmonary bypass (heart-lung machine) in the Trauma room.

If you suffer a chest wound - surgery is what you need - as soon as possible, not a tampon in the hole...
    Psssstttt......most of us wear armor around our chest area.
    Im not going to argue the traits of any training, nor spout off a Resume, but I feel confident tampons have their place in trauma GSW care.
    Yes rounds, can and do get through armor, yes bad shit happens, but I feel GS816 and I, have enough training and real world applications to keep someone alive to the ER.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I stand corrected - your body armor is sure to protect you (just ask mullet hunter) from a chest wound.

My 15 years with 3 helicopter programs in 3 states and in Level 1 Trauma Centers doesn't come close to an LEO/medic's training and vast experience...

Confidence is good - arrogance is deadly. May any and all patients you treat survive until transfer to a higher level of care.

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not being arrogant. Its typical of this board. Someone is always bigger badder better.
    And granted I didn't care for him that day, but I was there.......
    Again, I'm not going to spout off my Resume to try and make my epen look bigger.
    I am confident in my abilities. All I can offer you.
    If its your day and that ticket has to be stamped, well its just your day then...... hope you are on the right side of the Lord. (If you so believe)
    I know what a 2nd and 3rd ICS is. Weve already covered the vas gauze...

And 15 years, you got a year on me so I'm not some rook firing from the hip.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That was 1st career - I'm 18 years into my second career now.

I'm sure Dr. Meade (statdoc) will be along at some point - and offer his insight on the use of tampons to treat GSWs.

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Look, I dont care if Jesus or Phil Roberson comes down himself and says to stop carrying tampons, I am carrying mine.
    You do your way, and Ill do mine.
    Ive made my suggestions in the thread to the OP.
    I know something of his skills and abilities as I have seen them 1st hand.
    I was merely making a suggestion for him to save some money.
    But you keep going on making assumptions of which you know nothing about, from 3000 miles away.

Top Bottom