• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have been looking for birdshot for 12 and 16 gauge and it is all gone. Steel waterfowl loads are around at normal pricing.

even the competition clay rounds are hard to find.

Why are people buying it all up?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Around October I bought the only 2 boxes of 20ga #6's that the Pace Walmart had so I could use them for squirrel hunting. 2 boxes is what I would normally buy for the season. Haven't seen any #6's since. Haven't seen any in stock in the usual Internet places either. Have seen a bit of non-lead shot shells for waterfowl hunting though.

It doesn't make sense to me why the shortage of shot shells.

Norm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think it’s just a general panic around everything associated with shooting. I can’t rightfully criticize since I still have M193 that I panic bought when Clinton’s assault weapons ban passed in ‘94.

Duckyou

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I think people are buying it to replace buckshot and slugs for defense since those loads are few and far between . Some sites even advocate game loads for close range use inside your home to reduce over penetration to walls .

Birdshot is not good defensive load. I have first hand knowledge. Picking shirt, hat, and pellets out of oneself is a pain but it will not stop a threat. (I am sure it will work at point blank range)

Even then - for defense the high brass waterfowl loads are better - larger pellets, larger charge.

Norm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Birdshot is not good defensive load. I have first hand knowledge. Picking shirt, hat, and pellets out of oneself is a pain but it will not stop a threat. (I am sure it will work at point blank range)

Even then - for defense the high brass waterfowl loads are better - larger pellets, larger charge.
    While that’s a true statement, I sure wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of it at close range.:oops:

NavCorman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

You make good points , and I would never use it unless it was all I had . As such, I sure wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end from a close range blast from even from # 4 shot up to # 8. Even the wadding can penetrate.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Take a big piece of cardboard. Put it over a sheet of 3/8ths plywood. Take some 12 OR 20ga birdshot,#6 or larger. Out of a cyl bore choke,shoot it at the "non exaggerated" home defense ranges. (Measure them in your own home if that makes you feel better) But lets just say 10yds . . . 15 MAX.
    See what effect the shot pattern has on the target. Look at the penetration.
    Do people (some here ??) REALLY think the shot leaves the bbl in a big "blob". Why do you think it is called a shot "string" ??
    The typical shot sting can be 5ft+ long. How many pellets hit in the same place ??
    My choice would be #6 copper plated,buffered shot. At the closer ranges,steel shot would be good also. Maybe #2,or even "BB". But the tradeoff would be size of shot vs density of pattern.
    IMO - - -> buckshot,even #4 buck,woul not be my choice for HD. ---- SAWMAN

Ron

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have been looking for birdshot for 12 and 16 gauge and it is all gone. Steel waterfowl loads are around at normal pricing.

even the competition clay rounds are hard to find.

Why are people buying it all up?
    Well for one we are at the end of hunting season and it works great on things like doves and squirrels. Two, a lot of us shoot clays!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    bird shot will blow a hole in the roof of your truck also will go through your home walls bedroom to bedroom...while you are picking shot out of your shirt I an firing all 9 mini shells of 7 1/2 at you before reaching for the glock kill shot

Duckyou

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Well for one we are at the end of hunting season and it works great on things like doves and squirrels. Two, a lot of us shoot clays!

Hunting season and clays - I have always been able to pick up a case of nitro at Bass pro or the 100 round cheapie at Walmart - usually with choice of 7.5, 8 or 9

Duckyou

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    There are a couple of videos out showing how to make slugs out of birdshot. Some use a proper mold but others use a DIY mold. Not the best solution but in the current ammo environment people are doing the best with what is available.

slugs are available online - not any deals, but available.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Any one that thinks a load of BS want work for HD come see me and bring any covering, I want debate all the if or ands shot size ,, just come , I do demonstration's all the time, I will put up a 100 rds of 223 ammo if want work . this is at normal SD distance normal room size. So take out and put rule on your rules, have some real world experience also. And yes If the place would be where I could use 00 buck I would rather use it . have used it. And yes I have buck and slugs in my HD SG But I don't have any neighbors are kids to have to worry about. I all so have a AR with two 30 rd mags together. and a AR.10 with 25 rds, also . and 22 for the smaller critters. a 9mm bed side to get me to the other things that are only 4 feet away. Just my 5 cents jj

Norm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Something else put loctite in the shot makes a good frangible slug. is easy to do with out any special tools, you can do this with out opening the shell.. just use a large hypodermic needle in the top. center . JUst my 5 cents jj
    That’s actually not a bad idea, at least in theory. If the loctite held even half of a 1 1/2 oz load together, it would be devastating when it hit.

Top Bottom